HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jeff Carter???

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2004, 05:06 PM
trahans99

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter???

Where was Jeff Carter projected to get drafted prior to the 2003 draft? If I remember correctly he was suppose to go around 20th or so. I think I remember on TSN or another channel saying they were surprised Philly took him at 11th and that was a big risk.

Looking back now after the year he had last year, I'd say Philly was brilliant in taking him 11th overall. Even though he still may never reach his full potential.

So my questions are: Where was he projected to go? And what type of player does he resemble from the NHL? Whats his point ceiling?

Old
10-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Where he was projected to go depends on who you are talking to.

CSS doesn't project where they go but the rankings they gave Carter was very low compared to where he was drafted. I think he was near the bottom of the top 30 North American prospects. If you add the Europeans, to this, that didn't look very good for Carter at the time.

Old
10-01-2004, 08:18 PM
blah

Clarke got bashed on ESPN, said he only took Carter b/c he was a 6'3 center.

Old
10-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Mizral

Most folks had him in the low teens as I recall. I loved him before the draft, and still like him a lot now.

Old
10-01-2004, 11:13 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

didn't thn have in the 10-15 spot?it's not like the flyers really went out on a limb with him from wat i can remmber. wheeler is pretty much the only one i can think of that was picked far earlier then what he was projected.

Old
10-01-2004, 11:16 PM
moosefan

I really like Carter, the only other player I would have taken over Carter at #11 might be Zach Parise. IMO he was a good pick at 11 by Philly, I like his game.

Old
10-01-2004, 11:18 PM
moosefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
didn't thn have in the 10-15 spot?it's not like the flyers really went out on a limb with him from wat i can remmber. wheeler is pretty much the only one i can think of that was picked far earlier then what he was projected.
Wheeler doesn't compare to where Derek Morrise was picked. Calgary picked Morris in the 1st round of the draft when he was ranked to go in the 3rd round in that draft year, talk about going out on a limb but hey that one payed off for the scouts eh, made them look good.

Old
10-01-2004, 11:19 PM
bean7

The 2003 Hockey News Draft Edition had Carter ranked #16.

Old
10-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Big Phil

Carter's style was once compared to Joe Thornton. And although its hard to compare him to a guy who's already scored 101 points in a season there is still similarities.

Old
10-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Disco Volante

Is there someone that follows Sault-Ste-Marie and the OHL that could answer this :

- are the Greyhounds a really bad team or are they only on a bad start?
- is Carter injured? I think he missed yesterday's game (well, the game didn't add up in his ohl website profile). After his 4 points performance, that would be a shame! (how bad?)

Old
10-02-2004, 01:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Is there someone that follows Sault-Ste-Marie and the OHL that could answer this :

- are the Greyhounds a really bad team or are they only on a bad start?
- is Carter injured? I think he missed yesterday's game (well, the game didn't add up in his ohl website profile). After his 4 points performance, that would be a shame! (how bad?)
Sault Ste Marie is a not a really good team - they may make the playoffs, but they're projected to finish near the bottom of their division. Carter missed last night's game due to a minor knee problem. I understand that it's not serious, and he's just sitting out a couple of games to rest it.

Old
10-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Mizral

One thing to note that Carter was actually the second line centre on his team on his draft year for much of the year. Petr Taticek was the first line centre on Carter's draft year.

Old
10-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
Brent Burns was even more of a reach than Wheeler. The only thing is, it was slightly less spectacular because it was later in the first round.

But Burns is without a doubt a bigger surprise in a kickass deep, quality draft. IMHO

There are other reaches like that. All you have to do is look the years and once in a while you find things like that.

Old
10-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Disco Volante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
Sault Ste Marie is a not a really good team - they may make the playoffs, but they're projected to finish near the bottom of their division. Carter missed last night's game due to a minor knee problem. I understand that it's not serious, and he's just sitting out a couple of games to rest it.
Thanx miss

Old
10-02-2004, 04:03 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

just to clarify, i was only speaking about the 2003 year, not of all time, in picks that were reaches. even though burns was a reach (i honestly don't know much about him), i think wheeler was the main surprise just because they could have done so much with taht pick.

so anyways, as someone else said, carter was ranked #16 by thn, so i don't think pickin him in the #11 spot can be considered a "reach" at all. anyone who picks someone that is ranked in most publications in the spot, or give or take 5-10 positions, is not considered a reach, in my opinion.

Last edited by KingPurpleDinosaur: 10-02-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Closed Thread