HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jared Cowen's upside...better than B Coburn?

Old
05-22-2009, 09:28 PM
pwallll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfx View Post
I hope my Leafers pick him if they can't arrange the Schenn brothers combo.

Cowen + Schenn would be pretty nasty to face.
Honestly, I am hoping for Cowen instead of Brayden Schenn. Yes it would be nice to have the Schenn brothers but I just imagine how dominant Luke Schenn and Jared Cowen could be together and for me I would rather have a SOLID pair like that on defense to build around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Mike Green
Andrei Markov
Mark Streit
Dennis Wideman
Zdeno Chara
Kimmo Timonen
Tobias Enstrom
Joe Corvo
Paul Martin
Tomas Kaberle
Joni Pitkanen
Jay Bouwmeester
Bryan McCabe
Sergei Gonchar
Brooks Orpik
I wold take Coburn over quite a few of those guys on your list.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
Coburn is mostly a 3, sometimes a 2 depending on the partner.

BC is very, very underrated. Cowen is projecting to be a little bit nastier than BC perhaps. It's going to be interesting to see how he develops.

I'm a big fan of BC, I think he's probably in the top dozen or so defensman in the Eastern Conference, if looked at objectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Mike Green
Andrei Markov
Mark Streit
Dennis Wideman
Zdeno Chara
Kimmo Timonen
Tobias Enstrom
Joe Corvo
Paul Martin
Tomas Kaberle
Joni Pitkanen
Jay Bouwmeester
Bryan McCabe
Sergei Gonchar
Brooks Orpik
The key there is "objectively." As a Thrashers fan, it's only natural be bitter about trading him away. You either haven't watched him play much since he was traded, or are trying to shortchange him.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:56 PM
4thliner*

Jared Cowen is flat out BETTER and stronger than Coburn was. I have seen Cowen at like 16 and he was a beast. Physicaly 6-5 220 he was strong enough to play in the NHL. And what made him better was his mobility, coardination, and puck movement. Cowen can realy move the puck too. And did I say that he is a lot meaner and physical than Coburn. When I seen Cowen, kids 3 or 4 years his elders inbetween his shoulders and the boards were crushed like bugs.

One team picking in the low top 10's will be glad he injured himself. Had Cowen been healthy this year and dominating and showing off his game for team Canada at the WJC, we would have a 3 man race for #1 overall, especialy considering Hedman had a poor WJC and questions surounding Tavares' skating and holes in his game.

Also Cowen's offensive game is underated, because he can move the puck with authority, skate it out of his zone when need there be, and will develop further. That and his huge hard shot from the point gives him a chance to expand his offensive potential. Cowen's potential is more like Pronger type than Coburn.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 05-23-2009 at 05:18 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Jared Cowen is flat out BETTER and stronger than Coburn was. I have seen Cowen at like 16 and he was a beast. Physicaly 6-5 220 he was strong enough to play in the NHL. And what made him better was his mobility, coardination, and puck movement. Cowen can realy move the puck too. And did I say that he is a lot meaner and physical than Coburn. When I seen Cowen, kids 3 or 4 years his elders inbetween his shoulders and the boards were crushed like bugs.

One team picking in the low top 10's will be glad he injured himself. Had Cowen been healthy this year and dominating and showing off his game for team Canada at the WJC, we would have a 3 man race for #1 overall, especialy considering Hedman had a poor WJC and questions surounding Tavares' skating and holes in his game.

Also Cowen's offensive game is underated, because he can move the puck with authority, skate it out of his zone when need there be, and will develop further. That and his huge hard shot from the point gives him a chance to expand his offensive potential. Cowen's potential is more like Pronger type than Coburn.

See now that report has me salivating at the thought of my team picking him at 7.

Sundinisagod is online now   Reply With Quote