HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

34,000 seat ballparks .....could the Expos return??

Old
05-23-2009, 05:37 PM
HabuseMoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
These were always excuses for people not to go to the games. Put Habs in the Big O and it will be full night after night.
exactly my point,

I lived on the south shore and went to games often in the big O during the 2006 season (or was it 2005? It was Vlad last year), aniways, took me at least 1 hour each time but I still did it, and some of the games were awesome.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
exactly my point,

I lived on the south shore and went to games often in the big O during the 2006 season (or was it 2005? It was Vlad last year), aniways, took me at least 1 hour each time but I still did it, and some of the games were awesome.
The team left after the 2004 season...Vladdy's last year in Montreal was 2003.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 05:54 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weztex View Post
One could argue that 5000 fans in a 34 000 seats ballpark is better than 5000 fans in a 45 000 seats ballpark. Bottom line is...that's still only 5000 fans.
At no point in time did the 'Spos ever drop to 5,000 per game. Only 4 seasons did they drop to between 8,000 and 10,000

The only horrible attendance figures happened after 98 when the "plan" started to unfold, that began with the demand for a new ball park by MLB, followed by the Selig driven (read shill for the guys like Steinbrenner) concept of contracting 2 teams.

From that point forward the team was literally under siege

folks say baseball is not popular. well I can believe that without a local MLB team.

I often wish that Montreal did not get the Olympics and a proper ballpark downtown became a reality earlier rather than later.

The real franchise killer though was the exchange rate. They never had a payroll over 20 mm american before 2000. Now players make that much per year.

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 05-23-2009 at 06:16 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 06:07 PM
dre2112

I don't know which is more far fetched: Montreal getting another baseball team or Quebec City getting another hockey team

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 06:17 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
The team left after the 2004 season...Vladdy's last year in Montreal was 2003.
this, I always mix up years

Old
05-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Sports1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
I don't know which is more far fetched: Montreal getting another baseball team or Quebec City getting another hockey team
Unfortunately it's Montreal getting a baseball team. I think this city could support baseball, but nobody is going to pay for a stadium, MLB would never put a team back here, and it would take some work to get the fans back which I don't think anyone is willing to do.

There's nothing that would make me happier than to see the Expos return, but sadly that's never going to happen.

Old
05-23-2009, 06:46 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Unfortunately it's Montreal getting a baseball team. I think this city could support baseball, but nobody is going to pay for a stadium, MLB would never put a team back here, and it would take some work to get the fans back which I don't think anyone is willing to do.

There's nothing that would make me happier than to see the Expos return, but sadly that's never going to happen.

I think the fans would return. unfortunately they won't have a stadium or team to return to. MLB will never give it back

I like the game a lot, but I really dislike the folks that run it. That includes owners, commissioner AND players association

Old
05-23-2009, 07:20 PM
kovalost27

Jarry Park was a place where people would go and have fun, watch cheap baseball games and bring their own beer. It was a form of entertainment in the summer for Montrealers. As soon as they moved to Pie IX, they lost the essence of the Expos. The Olympic Stadium was stupidly placed and designed. What's next? Move the Alouettes over to Montreal Nord?

As for the MLB, it is run by business tycoons. Take a look at the ridiculous contracts and monopolies those rich people have.

Maybe if the Canadian Baseball League returns and is well advertised, we might have the Expos back again.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I don't see a Major League team in Montreal, but how about a farm team? Most stadium have a capacity of 10 000 seats. How is that not possible? I already made some research... and teams that have the lowest attendance and we could be the affiliate are:

Charlotte: Average of 4416 per game; affiliated to Chicago White Sox
Norfolk: Average of 4895 per game: affiliated to the Baltimore Orioles

That's for the International League, the only league we could play in since the other League is the Pacific Cost league. Sucks 'cause there seems to be teams out there that sucks more with average of 3000 fans.

So anybody with a vision, would at least try to sell that we would be a great farm team city. Let's relive the Royaux, I would really love to see an affiliation with Baltimore but any team would do except being the farm team of Washington. Even though if their affiliate is not the greatest as far as attendance are concerned, never would I would like to be their farm team. And it's the same for the Marlins.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:38 PM
DaHabMan

sadly once we lost them, there never gonna come back....americans think baseball is dead here and will never agree to comeback. Man i miss the expos though.....

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:42 PM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
At no point in time did the 'Spos ever drop to 5,000 per game. Only 4 seasons did they drop to between 8,000 and 10,000
on average no but they did got some 2 thousand some attendance. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/montattn.shtml . lowest average in 2001, 7935.

ps how ******* can they get 29k average last year in washington with that team they have

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:46 PM
The Chef*

I would love having Baseball back in Montreal.

I miss going to Expos games for 5$.

Underage drinking, and Expos games with friends....great times.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
it always makes me laugh when people say that the Big O and Stade Saputo is badly located, it's a 10 min. metro ride from Downtown, Yes the stadium suck, but who cares if you have to drive/take the metro for less than 20 minutes?
Haha yeah right just look at the Als attendance b4 and after their move. The east end is a ghetto and big O blows chunks.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
on average no but they did got some 2 thousand some attendance. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/montattn.shtml . lowest average in 2001, 7935.

ps how ******* can they get 29k average last year in washington with that team they have
Biggest factor of that 2001 attendance (and later) was the repeated attacks by MLB on the franchise

There were numerous bigger flops. oakland is probably the best example. They averaged about 12,000 fans when they won back to back World Series. Their 70's average was less than 10,000. In 79 they averaged 3787!

The almanac is a good site. I find http://www.baseball-reference.com/

to be better. Much broader info supply. Individual game boxes Even payrolls and trades

BTW: Washington in it's 70 year plus history with multiple teams in two leagues STILL has not drawn as many fans as the Spos did in half the time. It will take DC franchises to about somewhere in the summer of 2011 to eclipse Montreal. They have currently dropped to 20,000 so far, which is terrible seeing that they have a new team in a spanking new stadium. The honeymoon is over. It's gonna get uglier

Old
05-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Bohemian93

i live here on the south shore, and baseball is starting to get decent popularity here. i know a lot of my freinds who play baseball

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 03:18 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaya View Post
i personally believe that soccer has a brighter future in quebec than baseball. if baseball participation is increasing by 5% every year, soccer participation has (something like) doubled in 10 years.
Which would mean soccer participation increased by 7% per year... the difference might be less than you expect if you do the math

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 03:24 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Haha yeah right just look at the Als attendance b4 and after their move. The east end is a ghetto and big O blows chunks.
I see, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar from the west, thank you for your insight.

Old
05-24-2009, 03:54 PM
RushDP

Quote:
I see, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar from the west, thank you for your insight.
He is also unfortunately right.

If you choose to make a blanket statement regarding mass transit then realize that the option is not available to the west island which of course represents a HUGE segment of the fanbase.

The location was not an excuse to be used by the fans it was actual fact. Only the mindless would put forth the theory it was not a deterrent. From day one the Spos were to have their own ballpark and the BigO was only a temporary venue. This would allow them to generate alot of season tix sales and the hype would surround them just as the Habs benefit from being downtown.

To the genius that said put the Habs in the BigO and they'd sell out I can only say this; don't spend any money on salary, run them on a shoestring budget, don't put them on TV, threaten the fans with contraction and eventual moving and then tell me they'd sell out every night. they'd have 8K fans sitting in the BigO unless it would be hot dog day in which case there would be 25K fans because they had a reason to go other then the on ice debacle.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Sports1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
To the genius that said put the Habs in the BigO and they'd sell out I can only say this; don't spend any money on salary, run them on a shoestring budget, don't put them on TV, threaten the fans with contraction and eventual moving and then tell me they'd sell out every night. they'd have 8K fans sitting in the BigO unless it would be hot dog day in which case there would be 25K fans because they had a reason to go other then the on ice debacle.
Agreed, although I honestly don't think the reason for the higher attendance during the $5 tickets/$1 hot dog nights were the low prices as much as the knowledge that there would be more people in the building. Olympic Stadium definitely has its flaws, but the place can get pretty loud when there's a decent number of people in it.

Old
05-24-2009, 04:07 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
So, who is willing to build this stadium? That's always been the biggest hurdle. We already had two very good stadium plans go into the toilet because nobody was willing to step up...be it the private sector or the gov't.

Is baseball dead in this city? I would argue that it wouldn't take much to revive it, but what we would need is what we've always needed...that downtown park, which currently has no team to house it, no location, nobody to build it and nobody to own it.

I would be the first person to buy a brick, personal seat licence, season ticket, whatever it took, but right now this falls under the pipe-dream scenario, unfortunately.
There were people willing to step up but the group that allowed Loria to take controlling interest also allowed him to renege on the land set aside by the gov't for the ballpark.

You need to separate the guys that wanted to move the franchise forward as a group of investors to keep the team here being the Bronfmans and the Coutu's of the group with the actual operations guys. Say what you want but Brochu was the first nail in the coffin and Loria was the last blow. We had no chance.

With little corporate support and MLB insistence that taxpayers foot the bill for a new park I can see why it happened. Why spend $600M for a stadium for the benefit of a private enterprise which is what a team basically is? How many tax dollars went into the Bell Centre? None. Because the team and the business surrounding it are a stand alone entity that should not be subsidized by the taxpayers.

At any rate they are not coming back any time soon. I'd love to see them back but MLB is too corrupt to allow it and their requirement for it to happen would be too much to bear. Worst league in professional sports.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote