HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers to pursue Knuble?

Old
05-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Rangers to pursue Knuble?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr090524.html

The Rangers don't have a lot of available funds to go after many unrestricted free agents this summer, but one player they will likely target is Mike Knuble, the New York Post reports.
Knuble, who turns 37 on July 4, can become a UFA July 1. The Philadelphia Flyers are interested in re-signing him, and the feeling appears to be mutual, however the Post claims Knuble might also be interested in playing for the Rangers.

With Markus Naslund retiring, and Nik Antropov, Paul Mara, Aaron Voros, Blair Betts and Colton Orr likely not returning next year, the Rangers do have some available funds to throw around.

The Post also suggests that Knuble is the type of player head coach John Tortorella wants on his team.

Knuble made $2.8 million this past season.

I hope Rangers sign him to 3.5M a year contract. Flyers should say good bye and move on. Nothing against Mike, he was a good players for us.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I'd be pretty pissed if he signed with the Rags. He's well within his right to do so, it would just be hard to see.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I'd be pretty pissed if he signed with the Rags. He's well within his right to do so, it would just be hard to see.
Yeah...it would just look...weird. I wouldn't like it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:13 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Hmm, how much do you think Antropov will be looking to get? Or is it understood that he's going back to Toronto?

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:35 PM
lancer247

With Markus Naslund retiring, and Nik Antropov, Paul Mara, Aaron Voros, Blair Betts and Colton Orr likely not returning next year, the Rangers do have some available funds to throw around.

i know the flyers have bigger fish to fry but man it would be nice to have a legit H/W on this team again. How much could he cost?

i believe knuble resigns here (hopefully for $2MM or less) or signs w/ the bruins.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:43 PM
supa scoop

I really hope Knuble signs here. I underestimated the impact that Smith and Hatch leaving would have, I think it'll be the same way with Knuble.

On the flip side, I'd love to get Betts.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:48 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I'd hate to see Knuble anywhere but here, particularly on the Rangers.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:56 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Wouldn't be the first time one of my favourite Flyers ended up on the Rangers. I want Knuble to retire as a Flyer, though.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr090524.html

The Rangers don't have a lot of available funds to go after many unrestricted free agents this summer, but one player they will likely target is Mike Knuble, the New York Post reports.
Knuble, who turns 37 on July 4, can become a UFA July 1. The Philadelphia Flyers are interested in re-signing him, and the feeling appears to be mutual, however the Post claims Knuble might also be interested in playing for the Rangers.

The Post also suggests that Knuble is the type of player head coach John Tortorella wants on his team.

Knuble made $2.8 million this past season.

I hope Rangers sign him to 3.5M a year contract. Flyers should say good bye and move on. Nothing against Mike, he was a good players for us.
I hate to see Mike move on if it happens. But to the rags!!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:10 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Hmm, how much do you think Antropov will be looking to get? Or is it understood that he's going back to Toronto?
he's not going back to toronto. Burke pretty much said that Antropov was useless and his time was up in TO

and if you're suggesting we sign him...god no

anyways, as for Knuble, i don't want him here next season, but i sure don't want to see him with the Rags. If he did end up signing with them, I'd get over it

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:34 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
he's not going back to toronto. Burke pretty much said that Antropov was useless and his time was up in TO

and if you're suggesting we sign him...god no

anyways, as for Knuble, i don't want him here next season, but i sure don't want to see him with the Rags. If he did end up signing with them, I'd get over it

As long as it didn't prevent us from addressing the other, more pressing needs that we have, I'd love to have Knuble back on a 2-year deal for like $1.75-2 million per.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:50 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
It just wouldn't look right to see Knuble in a Rags jersey. I don't think we should re-sign him, but I really don't want him to end up there or in Pittsburgh.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Haute Couturier

I don't think he'd put up similar numbers with the Rangers.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:28 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I say let the Rangers sign Knuble. They're going to overpay and probably overpay huge (3 to 3.5 million a season) for a 37 year old who is looking more and more his age. Contrary to what some may say, this team can afford to be younger in certain positions. Forward is one of them because we do have a number of veterans, even though our veterans are young. Carter and Richards have been in the league for an upcoming fifth season. Gagne has been in the league going on 10 seasons. Hartnell has been in the league going on nine seasons. Briere has been in the league for the most part nine seasons. Lupul has been in the league going on seven seasons now. You know what, the core of forwards aren't youngsters anymore. Letting Knuble go means that it's time for the guys to really step up to the next level in terms of leadership.

The only place that really needs another veteran is on the blueline. Besides Timonen and Alberts, nobody else on the roster has played more than 3 seasons in the NHL. Sbisa hasn't, Coburn hasn't, Parent hasn't, Jones hasn't, and Carle is the only one who has played three full seasons. Alberts has only played four and Timonen is the only one with more than four seasons (10). I think having a defenseman with at least six to seven seasons might be ideal at this point just to help lighten the leadership load on Timonen.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Viller

If Knuble gets overpaid in NY, I won't have anything against him going there. The Flyers can easily be outbid for his services, I guess it comes down to how much he really wants to stay here. If the Flyers are seriously going after Bouwmeester or Komisarek, Knuble is as good as gone...

I'm pretty sure Holmgren thought Lupul wouldn't "regress" this year and that Knuble's expiring contract would cover his raise... That is not the case though(well I guess it depends how you look at it). I'm not even sure I want Knuble on this team anymore anyway, he shadowed Stevens' comment to the letter before the playoff started (about the team being playoff ready.)... Being the veteran of the team, with that kind of attitude, I think his days are numbered and should be. Theres plenty of options just as good as him or better than him out there.

JR's attitude could do wonders on the teams supposed leadership group... I hope they give the guy a call this summer if he still wants to play, I don't care what anyone says, the guy still deserves a chance at the cup and he might as well go for it in an actual hockey market where people actually appriciate him(at this point, 4th line "grinder" that can do some spot duty)... I'm not too sure where you guys stand on the subject but I can't see why you'd be opposed to it, the guy basically promised Snyder a cup when he signed in Philly and loved the city. This attitude needs to come back(win at all cost!), not we're doing just fine! after losing the division title and home ice...

/end drunk rant.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:06 PM
BrindamoursNose

Just sign Knuble with a low base salary and higher incentives ( I believe they don't count against the cap).

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Just sign Knuble with a low base salary and higher incentives ( I believe they don't count against the cap).
If only it were that easy.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:43 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Hopefully they overpay for him, if it comes down to that...

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I hope Knuble cashes in nicely for his final contract, and that is not possible with the Flyers. IMO, his production with the Rangers will likely fall as someone else said. See what Lupul can do with his spot on Richards' right, move Briere to Lupul's spot. Carter's line could use a playmaker, and Lupul needs to be on a line where he isn't one of three shooters.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:08 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Knuble has raging hands of cement, it was fun while it lasted but I wouldn't care if he left, no hard feelings.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:29 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
If only it were that easy.
Apologies. I wasn't trying to make it sound that simple...I was merely throwing out the ideal situation for us, if we were to re-sign him.

I think he's important to re-sign, as I doubt JVR will be ready in the next year, and he's also one of our only veterans on the team and the only one with a ring.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:53 AM
hotshot26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post

i know the flyers have bigger fish to fry but man it would be nice to have a legit H/W on this team again. How much could he cost?
That's the first thing I thought of when reading the article. I'd love to have Orr or any other legit HW on this team. I appreciate everything Cote's done and wouldn't mind him in a lesser role but I hate watching him get pounded on every night.

hotshot26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I hope Knuble cashes in nicely for his final contract, and that is not possible with the Flyers. IMO, his production with the Rangers will likely fall as someone else said. See what Lupul can do with his spot on Richards' right, move Briere to Lupul's spot. Carter's line could use a playmaker, and Lupul needs to be on a line where he isn't one of three shooters.
Lupul was close to PPG player on Richards line and he was physical.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 05-25-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:02 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
It just wouldn't look right to see Knuble in a Rags jersey. I don't think we should re-sign him, but I really don't want him to end up there or in Pittsburgh.
He played for the Rangers for a few years.

This is what it looks like:

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Apologies. I wasn't trying to make it sound that simple...I was merely throwing out the ideal situation for us, if we were to re-sign him.

I think he's important to re-sign, as I doubt JVR will be ready in the next year, and he's also one of our only veterans on the team and the only one with a ring.
The new CBA doesn't allow those kind of shananigans (low salary on the books, incentives off the books. If they did, what would be the point of the cap? Furthermore, there wouldn't be a team in cap trouble...much like the Flyers.

Also, they could have kept Upshall, signed him to a $500k salary and bury the rest to get up up to where he's worth.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote