HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thinking about switiching to worse team...

Old
05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Orthodox Caveman

vCash: 500
Thinking about switiching to worse team...

I play in a B level adult rec league and I've played center on my current team for a few years. The team chemistry is great, we are the only undefeated team in the league. Except, the team is stacked now, and alot of the players want to keep running up the score and getting more goals for themselves. I've started to get bored clobbering teams that don't have as many players or have players who are just starting to learn/ improve etc.. and getting less ice time because of a over crowded roster/ players wanting to stay out longer and score more goals.

I was thinking about going to one of those weaker teams. Have any of you all done this to improve/ get more ice time?

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesius87 View Post
I play in a B level adult rec league and I've played center on my current team for a few years. The team chemistry is great, we are the only undefeated team in the league. Except, the team is stacked now, and alot of the players want to keep running up the score and getting more goals for themselves. I've started to get bored clobbering teams that don't have as many players or have players who are just starting to learn/ improve etc.. and getting less ice time because of a over crowded roster/ players wanting to stay out longer and score more goals.

I was thinking about going to one of those weaker teams. Have any of you all done this to improve/ get more ice time?
I wonder why these guys if they are so good don't just play in an A team league?

Our team uses 2 lines of forwards sometimes 3, I am an assistant captain for the team and we discuss this sort of thing after the games. Guys who are ice hogs/puck hogs are not invited back. Period ... we are there to have fun.

I would suggest you play for a better team (not better talent wise but you know what I mean) it is obvious your team you play for is in it for the wrong reasons and you are obviously not enjoying yourself and unless you are one of the guys who run the team your options seem limited from what you have explained here.

I keep track of our team's payment sheets and also scout out players who are just wanting to have fun, have good character (meaning not the "me me me " type who hog all the ice and never change up) and we keep the good ones and flush the buttwipes out the lockeroom door never to return.

it wouldn't matter to me if a guy came up with his entire payment for the whole season ... if the guy is a hog .... guhbye.

Quality teamates in a rec league are essential. The two guys who played together in highschool and only pass to each other as puck hogs don't come back either.

Good luck to you honestly .... it sounds like a tough situation for you to be able to really do anything to change it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 05:50 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:

Hmmm. Interesting situation.

If I was in your shoes, I don't think I'd have any qualms about joining one of the weaker teams. Blowing out teams constantly is no fun. Heck, we won our game 12-2 today, and I wasn't having that good a time out there. Sure, it's nice to win, but winning like that every time we play would be awfully annoying. You have no interest in the game, you don't skate hard like you would in a close game...it's just not the same.

...and yes, those clowns that want to pad their stats are friggin' annoying too. In our 12-2 game today, we had a guy saying he wanted to hit 20. Not cool.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 01:06 AM
raganblink

I play in A and we're kind of in the same boat. Most of the guys I play with played Junior B or Junior A and we're playing guys that 10-20 years ago played Major Juniors and a couple that played professionally.

Needless to say, we dominate the older guys, our only competition is this other team that is in the same boat as us (young and good). We've kind of made a policy, that we don't try try try when we are facing older teams, as we know we're going to win anyways. WE play hard at times, and softer at others. You could try doing that. if these teams are getting smoked, if you are one of your better players, switching would definitely mix things up a bit.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:29 AM
rk50

I'll never understand why teams that go undefeated in B/C/D/E leagues don't move up the next season....

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Devil Dancer

I really enjoy being one of the top players on my team. I get top PP and PK minutes, I get to play on a line with other good players, and my teammates generally respect what I do for the team on the ice. I'd much rather have it be like that than be a 3rd liner on a better team.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:33 AM
shotty

winning is nothing if you're not having fun.

i'd switch it up.

shotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Orthodox Caveman

Thanks for all the responses. Very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I really enjoy being one of the top players on my team. I get top PP and PK minutes, I get to play on a line with other good players, and my teammates generally respect what I do for the team on the ice. I'd much rather have it be like that than be a 3rd liner on a better team.
Pretty much my situation except the other players are becoming selfish/running up the score. If I go to the weakest team in the league, I know I might be one of the top players but I want to help other players improve, and work on things myself/ play hard when the game isn't going so well. I might consider going up a level in the near future too.

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 08:51 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Yeah, I'd switch, and help out another team. there's no point in dominating teams regularly, if you're not enjoying it, and you very well could help others improve their game.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

In any case it would suck if the only way to cure what ails you about this team would be to switch after explaining that you've played for them for a few years now would be a shame.

Good luck. Maybe playing a level higher woiuld be the right thing.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:39 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Yeah, some people get off on continuously dominating and running up the score, but that obviously isn't for you so you may as well move on. On the new team I'm playing for in Spring hockey our first four games we've outscored the opponent by 23 goals. We got bumped up a division and have played in 1 and 2 goal games that have all been decided in the 3rd. That's been much more fun.

And having been on the receiving end of blowouts plenty of times on my first team, as a forward its even more brutal because you get barely any playing time in the offensive zone, which is worse than a blow out score.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 02:17 PM
noobman

Quote:

That might be worth a shot... but IMHO your team should consider moving up to A-level hockey for next season.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 04:32 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk50 View Post
I'll never understand why teams that go undefeated in B/C/D/E leagues don't move up the next season....
I've been in leagues where a team that won the championship 2 seasons in a row automatically moved up to the next division, and a team that finished the worst 2 seasons in a row got dropped down. That's how it worked, unless they REALLY *****ed about it. But that's how it should be

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 04:54 PM
FelixPotvin

For me, the goal is to always be improving. I'd rather be middle class to worst on a team where I'll improve than be the best player on a team where the guys around me aren't going to challenge me to be better.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 04:44 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
If I go to the weakest team in the league, I know I might be one of the top players but I want to help other players improve, and work on things myself/ play hard when the game isn't going so well. I might consider going up a level in the near future too.
That's a good attitude IMO.
Honestly I'm not playing at a level where I could drop down. There are a few such players on my team and we're happy to have them for the advice they provide and the way they step up in clutch situations. I can also see the frustration level, though, in yet another tape to tape pass bungled, a scoring chance wasted. Try not to appoint yourself "savior", captain or anything like that as your intent could easily be mistaken for cockiness. I'm just sayin.

By the way I play on a D level team and it's an unspoken rule that every team should have a "ringer" or two on the roster.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote