HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Week of May 24

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2009, 05:43 PM
  #1
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Week of May 24

1. There are rumblings out of Tampa Vinny will be moved before July 1st when his no-movement clause kicks in. Tampa is rumoured to be in serious financial peril. At 11 years and 7.7 million cap hit and salary cap rumoured to be going down in future years this is a major contract to move. Tampa is trying to make a hockey deal and LA Kings not only has the cap room to make such a trade and hockey personal Brian Lawton is looking for also. Jack Johnson and the 5th overall pick are rumoured coming back the other way. There will be other parts going in both directions also. This will be biggest trade in NHL in quite a while. Tampa ideally would like to trade Vinny, draft a franchise center with the 2nd overall pick to build around and also address their defense in this trade. If NYI take Hedman first overall could have impact on this trade.

2. The main thing paving the way of Vinny rumours are speculation there are many sun belt teams in financial peril, some almost to the extent of the Phoenix Coyotes. Much deeper financial peril than we have been led to believe. Tampa being very close to Phoenix financial wise. Atlanta is another team rumored to be losing more money than we hear. Florida also and even Dallas. But not to the extent of Phoenix or Tampa. Which really is staggering, as Phoenix has lost 76 million plus 40 million over last 4 years. Tampa two owners are not talking, they talk thru a third party, and defaulted on most everything recently which the NHL has picked up the tab for. Florida was selling tickets for $9 with free parking and free hotdogs, so doesn't sound like they are are in great condition. Hicks has Dallas for sale and already mentioned bankruptcy.

3. Sedins could be in Toronto next season. If Vancouver cannnot get the twins signed before July 1st, look for Brian Burke to make a big push for the Swedish pair. Burke is trying to win now and has the cap space to make such a move, there's also a good connection with the Sedins from his Canuck years. However, the rumours of Anaheim's Gigeure coming to Toronto are far fetched and shot down by my T.O. sources.

4. Ideally Philly would like to move the Briere contract and Montreal be most likely destintation. The main problem here is Briere has a no-trade clause and has final say if he will go or not. Bob Gainey tried hard and came very close to signing Breire when he was an UFA back in summer of '07. So there is definitely an interest there from Montreal's end. Philly on the other hand would like to dump the large contract with the emergence of Richards, Carter and Giroux. Flyers would like to add a top defenseman this off season or/and a front end goalie with the cap space created by moving Briere. Montreal could have interest in Carle and Philly could have interest in Halak or early rights to Komisarek.

5. Insiders say Montreal team was never really for sale. Speculation persist Gillett did put the team on the block but his real intention was to establish a price on the team that he could take to the bank. Montreal is making a ton a money per year and Gillett does not want to part with them.

6. Minnesota new GM Chuck Fletcher is trying hard to re-sign Marion Gaborik. The problem here is Gaborik has no use for Tom Lynn, who Fletcher just signed to new contract extension. Gaborik hates Tom Lynn, insiders say it is slim Gaborik is in Minny next season. MG will be a big name on this summer's UFA market has his hip operation correct his groin problems which have plaqued him over last few seasons.

7. Atlanta's Kovalchuk met with Don Waddell on Thursday and reports have new contract talks went well. With Zach B. and Little Waddell is trying to sign Kovalchuk to an extentsion this summer to have a core group to build around. If it did not look like he would re-sign Atlanta could possibly have move Kov this summer.


Last edited by GNick42: 05-25-2009 at 02:27 AM.
GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:46 PM
  #2
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,064
vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Links?

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:48 PM
  #3
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,644
vCash: 500
...Its Tom LYNN, not Tom Lind

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:48 PM
  #4
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,816
vCash: 185
Looks like Eklund has some competition.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:50 PM
  #5
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
Links?
All of that was discussed on the CBC Hotstove last night.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:50 PM
  #6
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!
 
projexns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Most, if not all of this was mentioned on Hockey Night in Canada

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:51 PM
  #7
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,064
vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
All of that was discussed on the CBC Hotstove last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
Most, if not all of this was mentioned on Hockey Night in Canada
Thanks.

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:54 PM
  #8
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 16,668
vCash: 500
this is just a recap. no link needed I'd say...

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 06:10 PM
  #9
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
Links?
Some was on Hotstove, Toronto rumours and financial stuff was on Fan590

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 06:22 PM
  #10
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,626
vCash: 500
Not saying Florida doesn't have some financial issues, but a lot of pro sport teams do. The economy is awful right now...

...but, they've had seats at or around $9 for the last 10 years. I'm not sure how that translates into financial problems. They've also had more butts in the seats late in the season than I've seen in a couple years.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 06:27 PM
  #11
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 19,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Tampa two owners are not talking, they talk thru a third party, and defaulted on most everything recently which the NHL has picked up the tab for.
If this is the case, I haven't seen it. You would think there would be more than a hotstove blip about them defaulting on "most everything".

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 06:30 PM
  #12
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
If this is the case, I haven't seen it. You would think there would be more than a hotstove blip about them defaulting on "most everything".
Agreed.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 06:34 PM
  #13
Inigo Montoya
Registered User
 
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newmarket, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Tampa ideally would like to trade Vinny, draft a franchise center with the 2nd overall pick to build around
Is Stamkos no longer considered a "franchise talent" by Tampa anymore?

Inigo Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 06:55 PM
  #14
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 19,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML Rebuild View Post
Is Stamkos no longer considered a "franchise talent" by Tampa anymore?
Oh god don't let him answer that, he'll just tell you since he didn't pot 35 this year hes a bust.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 06:56 PM
  #15
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 500
WTF is Tom Lynn? Am I the only person who has no idea who that is?

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:14 PM
  #16
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,609
vCash: 500
Toronto still has the worst media.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:20 PM
  #17
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Not saying Florida doesn't have some financial issues, but a lot of pro sport teams do. The economy is awful right now...

...but, they've had seats at or around $9 for the last 10 years. I'm not sure how that translates into financial problems. They've also had more butts in the seats late in the season than I've seen in a couple years.
Yep, also our attendance went up last season from the season before. Like you keep saying Laus, if the Panthers ice a competitive team, the fans will come. There is no bigger bandwagon market than South Florida, and there is a strong core base of diehard fans in S.F. Some people might doubt that, but there is. There are a ton of Panthers fans down here. A lot of them just don't want to pay to go see a losing team.

It sounds like the merger between Sunrise Sports & Entertainment(current Panthers' ownership) and Sports Properties Acquisition Corp. is going to help SSE with the finances a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML Rebuild View Post
Is Stamkos no longer considered a "franchise talent" by Tampa anymore?
Wouldn't hurt to have both Stamkos AND Tavares. Sakic-Forsberg, Datsyuk-Zetterburg, etc.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:30 PM
  #18
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
WTF is Tom Lynn? Am I the only person who has no idea who that is?
Wild's Assistant GM

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:57 PM
  #19
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,052
vCash: 500
Montreal has NO interest in Briere without some sort of overpayment on the flyers part. That ship has sailed.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 08:02 PM
  #20
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,845
vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I'd still like some links, kinda hard to watch hockey night in Canada at camping

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 08:12 PM
  #21
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Toronto still has the worst media.
Hockey Night in Toronto?

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 08:15 PM
  #22
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Montreal has NO interest in Briere without some sort of overpayment on the flyers part. That ship has sailed.

Flyers have no interest in paying someone to take Briere.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 08:17 PM
  #23
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yep, also our attendance went up last season from the season before. Like you keep saying Laus, if the Panthers ice a competitive team, the fans will come. There is no bigger bandwagon market than South Florida, and there is a strong core base of diehard fans in S.F. Some people might doubt that, but there is. There are a ton of Panthers fans down here. A lot of them just don't want to pay to go see a losing team.

It sounds like the merger between Sunrise Sports & Entertainment(current Panthers' ownership) and Sports Properties Acquisition Corp. is going to help SSE with the finances a little.



Wouldn't hurt to have both Stamkos AND Tavares. Sakic-Forsberg, Datsyuk-Zetterburg, etc.
Lecavalier-Stamkos..

Trading Lecavalier, makes no real sense to me. Honestly if I'm TB management, I just draft Hedman. A core of Lecavalier, St.Louis, Stamkos, Hedman is ridiculous along with Malone, Ranger, Meszaros, Smith, Prospal..these guys have an awesome core to build from..

Prospal-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Stamkos-Malone
Halpern

Hedman-Ranger
Meszaros-Lashoff
Smaby-Wishart

Smith
Ramo
Tokarsi

This is an amazing roster to build around. A fewsavvy FA aquisitions, some competent coaching and the maturation of many of the young players and I'd say you have the makings of at least a playoff contender (8-10 team at least).

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 08:17 PM
  #24
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Wouldn't hurt to have both Stamkos AND Tavares. Sakic-Forsberg, Datsyuk-Zetterburg, etc.
What about Lecavalier-Stamkos??

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:41 PM
  #25
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Lecavalier-Stamkos..

Trading Lecavalier, makes no real sense to me. Honestly if I'm TB management, I just draft Hedman. A core of Lecavalier, St.Louis, Stamkos, Hedman is ridiculous along with Malone, Ranger, Meszaros, Smith, Prospal..these guys have an awesome core to build from..

Prospal-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Stamkos-Malone
Halpern

Hedman-Ranger
Meszaros-Lashoff
Smaby-Wishart

Smith
Ramo
Tokarsi

This is an amazing roster to build around. A fewsavvy FA aquisitions, some competent coaching and the maturation of many of the young players and I'd say you have the makings of at least a playoff contender (8-10 team at least).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
What about Lecavalier-Stamkos??
Obviously if the Bolts trade Lecavalier it's because of financial decisions.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.