HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help ASAP re: Injury

Old
05-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Saved*

vCash: 500
Need help ASAP re: Injury

Hi,

I injured what is believed to be my Vastus lateralis muscle tonight. It is the outside muscle on my thigh. I'm icing it now, 20 on, 20 off. Game ended under 1 hour ago. I cannot go to a DR. at this time and I work in 12 hours. Can someone advise me from personal experience what could possibly be wrong? What does this muscle do?

Basically, it is intense pain when bending my knee. It's swollen up a bit, starting to bruise, and is hurting. I play 5 more games this week (1 wednesday, 1 friday, 3 saturday)

I cannot get a DR. appointment and the best I can do is take ADVICE here. Please don't flame, I'm just trying to make a responsible decision. It's quite urgent... so if anyone has any experience, please let me know. The muscle is the closest to the knee I believe.

Again, do not flame, I'm in some desperate help right now and have no other option.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Saved*

The bad part is that I also got a puck in the face and only have 1 ice pack. I guess I'm healing the bigger of two evils and letting the face swell up.

Old
05-24-2009, 08:45 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Hi,

I injured what is believed to be my Vastus lateralis muscle tonight. It is the outside muscle on my thigh. I'm icing it now, 20 on, 20 off. Game ended under 1 hour ago. I cannot go to a DR. at this time and I work in 12 hours. Can someone advise me from personal experience what could possibly be wrong? What does this muscle do?

Basically, it is intense pain when bending my knee. It's swollen up a bit, starting to bruise, and is hurting. I play 5 more games this week (1 wednesday, 1 friday, 3 saturday)

I cannot get a DR. appointment and the best I can do is take ADVICE here. Please don't flame, I'm just trying to make a responsible decision. It's quite urgent... so if anyone has any experience, please let me know. The muscle is the closest to the knee I believe.

Again, do not flame, I'm in some desperate help right now and have no other option.

Ouch. How exactly did you get injured?

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings2611 View Post
Ouch. How exactly did you get injured?
Well, without going into specifics, a guy shot a puck in my face purposefully while I laid on the ice after passing the puck out on my knees. I remembered the number, saw him skating with his head down, and at the last second, he stuck his knee out. **** happens. He **** talked me after he shot the puck at me, and he **** talked me after I laid him out.

I guess it's easier to explain the specifics though. I was on my knees and passed the puck out. team mate shot it back in, I reached and grabbed it while still on my knees. I passed it back out and it got intercepted. Instead of turning around, the guy just shot it from about 3 feet out and it got me in the face. If it isn't on purpose, it's awfully suspicious, considering I was behind the net and it wasn't a clearing attempt.

Old
05-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Saved*

Update.. 2 hrs 30 mins after game time, I can barely straighten my leg, and even walking with it all frankenstein-ish hurts like hell. Hobble hobble

Old
05-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

from the way it sounds and what happened, it might be a deep bruise. im no m.d. though

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
from the way it sounds and what happened, it might be a deep bruise. im no m.d. though
I'm thinking it's a deep bruise as well. But I have no experience with this type of injury, GS30. I don't know if it's "ok" to still walk etc if it's painful, or if it will further aggravate.

I'm in a financial position that I can't afford to take time off work.

Old
05-24-2009, 09:49 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Do you have a heating pad or anything?

Old
05-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings2611 View Post
Do you have a heating pad or anything?
Heat draws blood to the area. Blood causes swelling. The last thing I need is more swelling :p

Old
05-24-2009, 10:03 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Quote:
The immediate treatment for a Thigh muscle injury consists of rest, ice, and compression (never apply ice directly to the skin). This is aimed at reducing the bleeding and damage within the muscle tissue. Resting may be the common sense approach, but it is one that is often ignored by competitive athletes. This is unwise, since it does not take much to turn a grade one Thigh strain into a grade two, or a grade two Thigh strain into a grade three. As a general rule, grade one Thigh strains should be rested from sporting activity for about 3 weeks, and grade two Thigh strains for about 4 to 6 weeks. In the case of a complete rupture the Thigh muscle will have to be repaired surgically and the rehabilitation afterwards will take about 3 months.

Regardless of the severity of the Thigh injury, the treatment in the early stages is the same. The thigh should be rested in an elevated position, with an Ice Pack applied for twenty minutes every two hours, and a Compression Bandage applied. This should help to limit bleeding and swelling in the tissues. After the early days have been spent resting more active rehabilitation can be started.

Gentle resistance exercises and thigh stretching are important as they help to align the scar tissue that forms during the healing process. By aligning the scar tissue along the normal lines of stress the tensile strength of the Thigh muscle is enhanced.
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=treatment+f...train_full.php

Old
05-24-2009, 10:12 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
I'm thinking it's a deep bruise as well. But I have no experience with this type of injury, GS30. I don't know if it's "ok" to still walk etc if it's painful, or if it will further aggravate.

I'm in a financial position that I can't afford to take time off work.
A financial position would seem to be less trouble on the leg than say - bicycle delivery man. You should be able to work but the ability to give yourself some treatment while at work would be key to being able to play this week.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Well, without going into specifics, a guy shot a puck in my face purposefully while I laid on the ice after passing the puck out on my knees. I remembered the number, saw him skating with his head down, and at the last second, he stuck his knee out. **** happens. He **** talked me after he shot the puck at me, and he **** talked me after I laid him out.

I guess it's easier to explain the specifics though. I was on my knees and passed the puck out. team mate shot it back in, I reached and grabbed it while still on my knees. I passed it back out and it got intercepted. Instead of turning around, the guy just shot it from about 3 feet out and it got me in the face. If it isn't on purpose, it's awfully suspicious, considering I was behind the net and it wasn't a clearing attempt.
Boy ... I feel terrible you got hurt. Good luck with it

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:13 PM
FLYLine24*

Thats why you don't play in bush leagues(with checking?) and with no cage on if you have work...I think that should be your number one lesson learned in all of this.

Play hockey for fun, not to get pucks in the face and injured from a check.

Safe to say, with that leg injury you won't be playing anymore of your 5 games this week. You need to rest it.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Doctor No

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
A financial position would seem to be less trouble on the leg than say - bicycle delivery man. You should be able to work but the ability to give yourself some treatment while at work would be key to being able to play this week.
I don't think he's saying that he works in finance (although I agree that it's a bit unclear).

I think that he's saying that he needs to work because he doesn't have enough money to miss work.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:39 PM
stick9

Take it from someone who's in the process of having ACL reconstruction. If you find the injury to be more then your run of the mill bump or bruise, don't waste time chatting about it.

You do have have an option...the Emergency Room.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I don't think he's saying that he works in finance (although I agree that it's a bit unclear).

I think that he's saying that he needs to work because he doesn't have enough money to miss work.
That's what I'm saying. I just wanted a few opinions from people here who may have had the same type of injury... I didn't come trying to get flamed or anything. I explained that going to the doctors was not possible and that for my own safety, I need to know as much as I can about the potential injuries and after effects, specifically whether or not it is safe to walk on it even if it is extremely painful.

I think I am forced to not go to work tomorrow because of it, and possibly the next day. Great that my only shifts this week are the next 2 days, and had days off from work already scheduled for my hockey tournament. I get a week off work and don't even get to play hockey LOL

Oh and before anyone says "Why book a few shifts off from work if you can't financially miss a shift?"

I did the math and decided that I could afford to take the 2 days off work and be fine with the 2 shifts I have. Missing two shifts means no bus pass next month which means I have to walk, run, jog, skip, fly, hitch hike about 10k each way to work. Complicated situation I am in but it isn't really HF's business.

Thanks for the input. I've done some thinking and think rest is the best course for now, and will re-evaluate tomorrow.

Old
05-24-2009, 11:51 PM
stick9

Dude, I completely tore my ACL, sprained my LCL, and tore the meniscus, and I only missed a few hours of work and I can take the time off if need be.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Dude, I completely tore my ACL, sprained my LCL, and tore the meniscus, and I only missed a few hours of work and I can take the time off if need be.
My job is walking.. I'm a retail salesperson. If I can't walk without a limp, they won't even let me on the floor, anyways. Forget about climbing up and down the ladders that I do about 75 times a day. Everything is in overheads. I am going to sleep now and I will see how it is in the morning on whether or not I can. If I think I can, I will. If I don't think I can, I won't.

Old
05-25-2009, 12:13 AM
NomadFan

You should claim that you got the injury saving a baby from an escaped grizzly bear-tiger. You'll sell the whole store in seconds.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Saved*

It feels a lot better this morning, but it's still swollen. I think when the swelling goes down, I should be fine. I can't really move my leg yet but it doesn't really hurt all that much. Again, once the swelling goes down, I *should* be fine. I think the swelling is just preventing the muscle from moving the way it is supposed to, which in turn prevents my leg from moving as it is the muscle that moves your actual leg from the knee area down.