HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Sun: Cliff Fletcher will definitely be retained by the Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
05-24-2009, 07:27 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Toronto Sun: Cliff Fletcher will definitely be retained by the Toronto Maple Leafs

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...51326-sun.html

Quote:
RALEIGH -- Even at age 73, Ciff Fletcher wants to remain involved with the NHL.

But not with the Minnesota Wild, the team that introduced his son Chuck as it's new general manager on Friday.

No, there is only one organization that the elder Fletcher wishes to work for.

"The Toronto Maple Leafs," Fletcher said yesterday in a phone interview from his Phoenix-area home. "In some capacity, I'd very much like to have that relationship.

"I'm not interested in any other teams."

Cliff Fletcher might just get his wish.

In an e-mail to Sun Media, Maple Leafs president/general manager Brian Burke confirmed that the desire for Fletcher to remain part of the Leafs is mutual.

"I plan on having him back," Burke wrote, adding that nothing had been finalized as of yet.

Fletcher, who guided the Leafs to back-to-back Eastern Conference final appearances in 1993 and '94, was brought back to the organization early in 2008 to take over from the fired John Ferguson.

Fletcher understood that his job was to bridge the gap until the Leafs hired a full-time president, a move that took place late last fall when Burke was handed the keys to the franchise.

Fletcher remained as a consultant with the team for the remainder of the season, but it was uncertain if either party wanted to continue the relationship into the future.

It seems pretty apparent now that both do.

"Brian's very busy right now with more important matters," Fletcher said. "But I do plan on coming up to Toronto soon, at which time I'm definitely interested in sitting down with him and talking things over."

Last edited by hockeywiz542: 05-24-2009 at 07:41 AM.
hockeywiz542 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:45 AM
HockeyAustralia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
Just in time for Draft day

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:51 AM
mattystajan

wansnt the leafs in the west in 93 and 94

mattystajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Cliff is the the best hockey minds in the business. Not surprised that Burke wants to surround himself this type of quality individual.

Cliff Fletcher brought Leaf Nation Dougie and gave us the 90's including a couple magical runs in 93 and 94.. He brought us Sundin and gave us the 2000's and gave fans something the cheer for. Have fans ever considered what Leafs past would have looked like without Gilmour and Sundin being a part of Leaf history.

Now he gave us Luke Schenn another building block for the future and for our new GM to build around.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:16 AM
UFancyHuh

i've always liked cliff, good for him and the organization

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattystajan View Post
wansnt the leafs in the west in 93 and 94
yes they were.

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Drew75

I read somewhere once that really good GM's (ala Holland) surround themselves with as many great hockey minds as they can as they know it makes them look good. Poor GM are too insecure to do so and surround themselves only with lesser minds they don't feel threatened by (see: JFJ).

I think keeping Fletcher as a consultant is a great move - and I'd love to see them expand their front office even more by adding Mark Messier in a Player Development role (image a visit from him to a prospect before a big game) and Bob Nicholson in a Hockey Operations role. Then we would have the best maagement team by a mile.

Oh ... and we need more scouts. Get Sundin to scout in Swededn, the freshly retired (as soon as he realizes he misses the game) Brian Kilrea to scout the CHL, etc, etc....

That's what I'm talking about!

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:47 AM
BlueBomber76

The Silver Fox !!!

I say keep him in the organization until 2 days after he`s in his grave. Great man to have around, even if he`s selling hot dogs !!!

BlueBomber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
I think keeping Fletcher as a consultant is a great move - and I'd love to see them expand their front office even more by adding Mark Messier in a Player Development role (image a visit from him to a prospect before a big game) and Bob Nicholson in a Hockey Operations role. Then we would have the best maagement team by a mile.
Now that Gary Roberts has retired, Burke should extend an invitation to him join the team and be reunited with his pal Neiuwendyk.

Roberts still owns a Toronto fitness center and club and is a fitness and health nut himself.. Along with his leadership skills he would make a great health and fitness guru and work with the development of our prospects. With Marlies also located locally its a perfect fit that on off ice days they kids are down at the gym bulking up and getting fit.

Old
05-24-2009, 11:14 AM
mlugia
That other guy

Roberts could even run the conditioning part of the prospects camp =D

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Drew75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Now that Gary Roberts has retired, Burke should extend an invitation to him join the team and be reunited with his pal Neiuwendyk.

Roberts still owns a Toronto fitness center and club and is a fitness and health nut himself.. Along with his leadership skills he would make a great health and fitness guru and work with the development of our prospects. With Marlies also located locally its a perfect fit that on off ice days they kids are down at the gym bulking up and getting fit.
I love it!

You can't have too many great people. Now when are they going to get rid of Corey Hirsh (sp?) and bring in Cujo as the goalie coach? I mean - seriously, if there's one thing our goalies learned last year it was how to go down too early (they all did it) and how to suck!

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Ten

Glad we're starting to show some loyalty.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Stephen

It's basically a sinecure, and it looks good on the Leafs for showing some loyalty.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's basically a sinecure, and it looks good on the Leafs for showing some loyalty.
Kind of like a Sundin jersey honouring would also be. Without Cliff Fletcher there wouldn't have been a Sundin Era in Toronto.

Cliff Fletcher is in the Hockey Hall of Fame ..

Quote:

The phone rang, and Cliff Fletcher's life changed forever.

"It took a couple of weeks for it to sink in after I got the call in June (2004) from (NHL Senior Vice President) Jim Gregory (the chairman of the Hockey Hall of Fame Selection Committee)," admits Fletcher. "When you think, years down the road, after you are gone, your grandchildren and great-grandchildren can go to the Hockey Hall of Fame and say, 'That was my Grandpa or my great-grandfather!' Well, that's not only an honour, it's a real privilege."

In 2004, a trio of extraordinary defencemen was announced as having been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame. Raymond Bourque, Paul Coffey and Larry Murphy were named Honoured Members in the Players Category. With them was added Cliff Fletcher, selected for the Builder Category. "It is a tremendous feeling to be entering the Hockey Hall of Fame, and not something that during your career you anticipate happening," Cliff modestly stated.

"It's a tremendous honour and you get to appreciate it more when you look at the Great Hall, and look at the photos of everybody who has preceded me into the Hall all the great, great players and, in my category, all the great Builders of the game, and to realize how privileged you are to be considered someone who should be included in that group. For that, I'll be forever grateful." Cliff hesitates for a moment to capture his thoughts. "It's a real privilege and an honour to be part of that group."

Citing induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame as the pinnacle of an outstanding career, one that we should remember is certainly not over, brought heartfelt gratitude during Fletcher's 2004 Induction speech. "As a kid growing up in Canada, I idolized hockey players. Now, having spent the past 48 years working closely with them, I can honestly say I admire them even more."

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/...cleb200401.htm
Seems to me its more then a "sinecure" to keep a HOF builder on your staff and management team. Is Scotty Bowman's NHL job also a sinecure in your opinion?

Old
05-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Kind of like a Sundin jersey honouring would also be. Without Cliff Fletcher there wouldn't have been a Sundin Era in Toronto.

Cliff Fletcher is in the Hockey Hall of Fame ..

Seems to me its more then a "sinecure" to keep a HOF builder on your staff and management team. Is Scotty Bowman's NHL job also a sinecure in your opinion?
It's safe to say Fletcher hasn't been doing HOF level work for a good 15 years now, so yeah, it's more a reward for past accomplishments.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 12:24 PM
mooseOAK*

As long as he doesn't have any decision making authority then Fletcher should be fine.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 12:35 PM
MickKaine

Fletcher has been great and I'm glad Burke is keeping him on board. Let's not forget the man who brought us Luke Schenn.

MickKaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 08:57 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
As long as he doesn't have any decision making authority then Fletcher should be fine.
This.

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:36 AM
stugotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's basically a sinecure
I was thinking the same thing, and Cliff has earned it, so we might as well keep a great hockey mind around in a consultant role.

stugotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
I was thinking the same thing, and Cliff has earned it, so we might as well keep a great hockey mind around in a consultant role.
Yep I agree you can't have too Many Jeff Fingers, Mike Van Ryn's and Jonas Frogren's around to anchor the Defence.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote