HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Min - Edm

Old
05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
oilersfan87

vCash: 500
Min - Edm

TO EDM:
Harding

To MIN:
Gilbert or Cogs

oilersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 06:06 PM
surshot*

Smid? Not worth Cogs or Gibby. If they would consider trading to us in the first place which is unlikely.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Andrew B

Overpayment....

Why not throw a 2 year 4.4 Million dollar RFA offer sheet at him, compensation being a 2nd round pick.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 06:08 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I have a better idea.

To Edmonton: Harding

to Minnie: RFA comp for a 2.5M contract

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
wow...

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan87 View Post
TO EDM:
Harding, Clutterbuck

To MIN:
Gilbert or Cogs
Fixed

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 06:44 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Is it possible to have an Oiler trade proposal that doesn't include Gilbert?

Harding isn't worth either of those players though.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 06:47 PM
The Pucks

Interesting, no replies from Minny fans.

You have to remember something, Harding has to sign the offer sheet.

It seems Philly and Colorado are also posturing for Harding this summer, I suspect if he gets dealt what he goes for will he higher than you might expect.

As far as an offer sheet, Im sure his agent will vist Philly, Colorado, Edmonton and anybody else with a flicker of interest for a goalie.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Traktor*

I know Harding has played well in the AHL but I think he's numbers at the NHL level are a product of the team he plays for.

When was the last time someone played for the Wild that didn't have a lights out SV%?

Personally I think he would fall on his face if he was given a starting opportunity but that's just my opinion of course.

The other thing is the most he's played in an NHL season is 29 games which also happens to be his worst season statistically.

In short there's not a chance that I'd give up a legit top 3 defender for Harding nor would I give up Andrew Cogliano who was only behind Ales Hemsky in terms of goals last year for Edmonton forwards.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Interesting, no replies from Minny fans.
That's cause there are next to no Minny fans on HFBoards. Look at their forum.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 08:56 PM
mnwildfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
Overpayment....

Why not throw a 2 year 4.4 Million dollar RFA offer sheet at him, compensation being a 2nd round pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I have a better idea.

To Edmonton: Harding

to Minnie: RFA comp for a 2.5M contract
Because we would just match. It's doubtful we spend to the cap this year so why wouldn't we protect our asset and get more than a 2nd at the deadline?

mnwildfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Red Alberks

From the Wild's perspective...

Harding for Gilbert? No way.

Harding for Cogliano? Meh. Perhaps.

All of you are underrating Harding's value and overrating the Oilers' players value.

Harding will be a very very good #1 goalie. With our new GM, I actually hope that we trade Backstrom and keep Harding.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Jimmy McNulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildfan79 View Post
Because we would just match. It's doubtful we spend to the cap this year so why wouldn't we protect our asset and get more than a 2nd at the deadline?
Harding would be untradeable for a year.

I would like a Cogliano for Harding deal. Gilbert, like I've said before, as good as he is, doesn't necessarily fit with the Wild; they need to spend money on forwards and Gilbert's contract is too big.

Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:29 AM
mnwildfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
Harding would be untradeable for a year.

I would like a Cogliano for Harding deal. Gilbert, like I've said before, as good as he is, doesn't necessarily fit with the Wild; they need to spend money on forwards and Gilbert's contract is too big.
Sorry I meant NEXT deadline.

Agreed on Cogs though, I doubt Edmonton does it.

Old
05-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry I meant NEXT deadline.

Agreed on Cogs though, I doubt Edmonton does it.
So the plan would be to trade him at the 2011 deadline?

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alberks View Post
From the Wild's perspective...

Harding for Gilbert? No way.

Harding for Cogliano? Meh. Perhaps.

All of you are underrating Harding's value and overrating the Oilers' players value.

Harding will be a very very good #1 goalie. With our new GM, I actually hope that we trade Backstrom and keep Harding.
why? is there friction between Fletcher and Backstrom already?

chances are very slim that Backstrom gets dealt... doesn't usually happen unless there's problems with management (see TBay situation)... but players like Backstrom don't usually sign longterm deals (assuming there's a NTC attached) just before they hit UFA status, only to be moved soon after...

Boyle was an odd case last year... management/ownership changes right after he signed, and he wasn't too happy with that situation either...

but other than that, how often do players sign longterm deals just before they get their UFA status, only to be traded? I'd say that the chances are infinitely better that Harding gets dealt.

And I doubt that you get the return you expect for Harding either... goalies usually have pretty low trade value in general, and backup goalies (even though he's young and has potential) don't get much value either.

My guess is that the return will be comparable to a 2nd round pick.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:34 AM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Harding isn't worth Cogs or Gilbert. If i was trading one of those guys i'd be looking for Tukka Rask. Not Josh Harding

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
mnwildfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
So the plan would be to trade him at the 2011 deadline?
Well the plan is it to trade him for fair value.

But if we are forced to either let him go for a 2nd rounder or match 2.2-2.6, yeah I think the plan is to match and trade him at the '11 deadline.

Old
05-26-2009, 10:41 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Well the plan is it to trade him for fair value.

But if we are forced to either let him go for a 2nd rounder or match 2.2-2.6, yeah I think the plan is to match and trade him at the '11 deadline.
that could be a risky move for the Wild... they hold on to a backup goalie for that much money, and playing behind Backstrom he might not get the time he needs to develop properly... almost 2 yrs later, his value could be even worse - not developing well for a young goalie and already making that much money.

keep in mind this will also take the Wild through the start of the next 2 seasons, and the potential for the cap to drop (some estimates suggest as much as 10% by 2010/2011 season)... a young goalie who's development is hampered by playing a backup role with a $2.5mill pricetag attached, in a season when a lot of teams will be scrambling for cap flexibility, could lead to fewer options for the Wild, and in the end hurt his overall trade value.

IMO, if the Wild have a solid offer on the table this year, they should take it... the goalie market isn't going to get any better in the next couple years... guys like Rask and Schneider will probably also hit that market by that time with their organization's starters under contract (Thomas already is, and Luongo could be signed in the next couple months).

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:58 AM
mnwildfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
that could be a risky move for the Wild... they hold on to a backup goalie for that much money, and playing behind Backstrom he might not get the time he needs to develop properly... almost 2 yrs later, his value could be even worse - not developing well for a young goalie and already making that much money.

keep in mind this will also take the Wild through the start of the next 2 seasons, and the potential for the cap to drop (some estimates suggest as much as 10% by 2010/2011 season)... a young goalie who's development is hampered by playing a backup role with a $2.5mill pricetag attached, in a season when a lot of teams will be scrambling for cap flexibility, could lead to fewer options for the Wild, and in the end hurt his overall trade value.

IMO, if the Wild have a solid offer on the table this year, they should take it... the goalie market isn't going to get any better in the next couple years... guys like Rask and Schneider will probably also hit that market by that time with their organization's starters under contract (Thomas already is, and Luongo could be signed in the next couple months).
Agreed pretty much completely.

Obviously matching an offer sheet is not the ideal move that we take with Harding, but we have to be prepared to do it in order to protect his value.

The other way you can look at it is we audition Harding for a year and a half and give him a chance to prove he is what we think he is... a starting goalie in this league. At that point he's a good, young goalie signed at 2.x and the cap going down actually improves his value. Backstrom isn't exactly young and as long as he's signed to a long contract I doubt he'd mind sharing a little bit of playing time.

What's the gamble? A 2nd round pick? We'll pretty much always be able to get that for him anyways.

Old
05-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Jimmy McNulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
Harding isn't worth Cogs or Gilbert. If i was trading one of those guys i'd be looking for Tukka Rask. Not Josh Harding
What has Tuukka Rask done that Josh Harding hasn't?

Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 04:55 PM
misfit

Quote:
Got drafted in the 1st round, of course. Have you forgotten where you were?

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:02 PM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Quote:
I'm thinking more about age. Their numbers are similar and Rask was drafted in the first round.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote