HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Shawn Horcoff

Old
05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
razman22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Just being a bit smarmy.

You are new here. We get the horcoff is overpaid posts from the fools that do not know the game.

They look at the pretty points and do not understand that what you want is a center who can face the best and outscore them.

Mr. horcoff does that. For alot less than most of the outscoring centers in the leaguealong with:
Datsyuk
Zajac
Sedin
Malkin
Carter
Thorton
Bolland
Richards
Malhotra
Crosby
E. Staal
Thats it.
What is even more impressive is that he does that while starting many face-offs in the defensive zone.

For those that do not understand. in a 30-40 second shift it is a success if you are able to drive the play to a positive direction. He does that. To generate the outscoring production he does is usually more reflective in the likes of centers Who get to start alot of there play in the offensive zone. Being given the prime opportunity in a 30 second shift.

Problem is there are a lot of media driven Peirre mcguire I love the monster fools out there who do not understand this.

I really laugh at the guys who give the he is only worth it off the waiver wire.
You're constantly bringing up obscure stats to support how dominant any Oiler is, even though the team misses the playoffs over and over.

I actually found a stat to discredit your Horcoff is an outscorer thesis. I tracked every Olier game and found that whenever I wore a red or a white shirt on a Tuesday , Thursday or Friday, I couldn't wear my brown shoes. Now this all changed if my lunch was early and the cafeteria at work was serving taco saled, in that case, Horcoff increased his Corsi number. Mondays and Wednesdays when the moon was only half full, Horcoff liked to wear his old Under Amour briefs and then increased his defensive zone coverage, which meant I would walk the dog after work instead of before. Based on that Horcoff is probably tied at number three behind Malkin and Crosby for the best centre in the league.

I really laugh at the guys who don't think he's overpaid.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:09 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Which 15 teams had inferior 1st line centers? (I did note you stated it was more than 15).
A year ago Edmonton fans thought he had more value then 15 1st line center in the NHL. The popular line on the Edmonton board was
Shawn Horcoff > Patrick Marleau

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:21 PM
blackcoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
A year ago Edmonton fans thought he had more value then 15 1st line center in the NHL. The popular line on the Edmonton board was
Yeah, but last year he was. This year was a different story. But knowing Horcoff's propensity to put up Prospal-like seasons from year to year, he will probably be pretty close to Marleau in offensive production next year. Horcoff is such an offensive enigma that he often leaves the Oiler board split, and last year was no different. For every Oiler fan saying he was as good as Marleau, there was an Oiler fan saying that he wasn't.

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Chayos

Horcoff is a top 30 center in this league maybe even a top 20 and he is paid like a 20-30 center in this league. The problem is that his contract was signed later than some of the other players that you guys are using as comparable. It really hard to compare contract signed in different cap era's.

In a $56.9 million cap world he is likly only slightly overpaid, but in a $44-48 million dollar cap world his contract is horrid. It to bad he signed about 3 months before they knew that the cap was dropping for 10/11.

The truth is no one who has a off year is worth their money.( just look at Marleau before this season)

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Only the totally delusional Oiler fans made that comment. That being said I don't think in general I've seen fans of any city on these forums not over value their players. And frankly that's the way management of these teams thinks as well.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Giant Moo

I will have to say that after one thousand views, it's pretty clear that Horcoff's value is underwater at the moment. Thank you for the responses, HFBoards.

This should be QED, but the people who most need to read this thread have probably got it blocked in their hosts file.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote