Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Press Conference

Old
05-25-2009, 09:26 PM
FLAMESTR

vCash: 500
Press Conference

Press confrence tomorrow I have heard rumors that Sutter annouces he will be doing double duty as GM and Coach. There are also rumors that Dave Lowry will be groomed to take over as the head coach.

FLAMESTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:28 PM
GoFlames

hey anyone know what time it is on? Will the fan have it on audio on demand? Thanks

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESTR View Post
Press confrence tomorrow I have heard rumors that Sutter annouces he will be doing double duty as GM and Coach. There are also rumors that Dave Lowry will be groomed to take over as the head coach.
Wow. Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up, FLAMESTR. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one tomorrow. I guess this means Brent aint it, huh. But if Darryl is indeed going back to double duty....

a) You've got to admire it. If his job is indeed tied to the success of the next coach he hires, way to man up and take it all on yourself. Live and die buy your own merits. No passing the buck here.

b) Could he be buying time for Brent knowing that the Devils aren't going to let him go for nothing, with one year still on his deal. Keeping the seat warm, so to speak. Knowing that the whole time, his career in Calgary is living or dying on his own merits.

Gold Pads* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:35 PM
FLAMESTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames89 View Post
Wow. Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up, FLAMESTR. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one tomorrow. I guess this means Brent aint it, huh. But if Darryl is indeed going back to double duty....

a) You've got to admire it. If his job is indeed tied to the success of the next coach he hires, way to man up and take it all on yourself. Live and die buy your own merits. No passing the buck here.

b) Could he be buying time for Brent knowing that the Devils aren't going to let him go for nothing, with one year still on his deal. Keeping the seat warm, so to speak. Knowing that the whole time, his career in Calgary is living or dying on his own merits.
Heard on more timbit that the main reason were not getting another coach is becasue were still on the hook for Iron Mike for one more year.

Old
05-25-2009, 09:36 PM
FLAMESTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
hey anyone know what time it is on? Will the fan have it on audio on demand? Thanks
Fan is covering it do not know the time it is on The Fan often put it on there archives on the web site if you miss it.

Old
05-25-2009, 09:37 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
hey anyone know what time it is on?

1:00pm.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Heard on more timbit that the main reason were not getting another coach is becasue were still on the hook for Iron Mike for one more year.
Ouch. But still, I'd rather have Darryl back there than 'Rusty' Mike. A blessing in disguise maybe?

Old
05-25-2009, 09:51 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Should be interesting. I don't mind Sutter going back behind the bench, but I just worry that two jobs will just be too much for him.

Also I guess both Sutter and Conroy will be on the fan after the press conference.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Also I guess both Sutter and Conroy will be on the fan after the press conference.
Maybe Conroys the new coach, then. Pulling a Reggie Dunlop?

Old
05-25-2009, 09:56 PM
GoFlames

Quote:

Totally. As someone saiud I think it was Maguire, if Sutter has the right support staff he can do it. Maybe this is what we have been waiting for as he was the guy who put the team together...

Old
05-25-2009, 09:57 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Oh when he retires I would love to have Conroy play a role with the team... so would the media

Old
05-25-2009, 09:58 PM
FLAMESTR

Quote:

that is priceless would love to have conroy as a coach

Old
05-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Totally. As someone saiud I think it was Maguire, if Sutter has the right support staff he can do it. Maybe this is what we have been waiting for as he was the guy who put the team together...
I just really like the man, you know. Good, honest, hard working guy. You've got to admire that. If this is what we learn tomorrow, I'll applaud it.

Old
05-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Me too. Now or later. I think he's destined to lead the USA hockey program someday in the not too distant future. And he'll be a godsend for them. Couldn't ask for anyone better. Conroy is first class all the way.

Old
05-25-2009, 10:02 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Definetly seems like a possiblity to me. He seems to be in the papers and on the radio a lot this offseason. Everytime something regarding the flames comes up he seems to be around.

The guy loves Calgary and this team so I think he'll definetly have a role with this team once he retires.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Definetly seems like a possiblity to me. He seems to be in the papers and on the radio a lot this offseason. Everytime something regarding the flames comes up he seems to be around.

The guy loves Calgary and this team so I think he'll definetly have a role with this team once he retires.
We can only hope, flamesfan12. I would find a place for him, if it were up to me.

Old
05-25-2009, 10:07 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:

The flames didi it with Jamie Mclennan so why not Conroy, he just seems like coaching Material. Hes first class all the way.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 11:11 PM
getoverit

Having Sutter back behind the bench I think is the right move, no more pointing fingers, hiring coaches only to replace them a year or two later, take ownership and drive this ship.

Pretty confident with Darryl will deserve the respect behind the bench and take a business like attitude as normal. Agree he can handle both duties with the right support staff, but for god sake, DONT renew Preston / Playfair, they are not your support people to get this done! I like the idea of Lowry coming as asst coach and some other new blood, someone to step between Darryl and the players, good cop, bad cop LOL I will let you figure out who is who, but Darryl is a no none sense kind of guy, like that.

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 11:19 PM
saillias

If the organization penny-pinches over the mil or so of a fired coach and forces Sutter into a position to become dual GM-coach, I will have lost all respect for ownership. Sutter was out coached by Randy Carlyle in 06, he realized this and he stepped down. His system is a dinosaur in the post-lockout NHL as much as Keenan's was.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Noori

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
His system is a dinosaur in the post-lockout NHL as much as Keenan's was.
Keenan didn't even have a system.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:03 AM
FLAMESTR

Just got an email from the flames insider the press conference will be covered live on Calgary Flames.com website you can see live video.

Old
05-26-2009, 01:55 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
If the organization penny-pinches over the mil or so of a fired coach and forces Sutter into a position to become dual GM-coach, I will have lost all respect for ownership. Sutter was out coached by Randy Carlyle in 06, he realized this and he stepped down. His system is a dinosaur in the post-lockout NHL as much as Keenan's was.
Interesting point. I too am on the fence. One I am kind of for Sutter living or dying on his sword to either deify the man or see what he was not. But, I like the idea of new blood more... either way it can not be worse as we need a hard disciplined system for players to do anything it seems... Sutter or another systems based hard ass will do!

Old
05-26-2009, 03:04 AM
KiwiFlamesFan

I have no idea what to think about this... just have to wait and see?

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:00 AM
OMA

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with that. They flat out lost to a better team in Anaheim IMO. That 05-06 team was short on talent (specifically up front). They weren't properly built coming out of the lockout.. but Sutter got them by on defensive play and accountability. Take a look at our playoff roster in 05-06:

Huselius - Langkow - Iginla
Amonte - Lombardi - Kobasew
Simon - Yelle - Donovan
Leclerc - Ritchie - McCarty

Leopold - Regehr
Hamrlik - Phaneuf
Ference - Warrener

Kiprusoff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be the first to admit that Sutter didn't foresee what would happen in terms of the 'new' NHL coming out of the lockout and this roster resembles that. That said, I think he's adjusted as time has continued (IE, added skill and speed to the forwards and tried to place a premium on puck moving dmen). I actually don't want him to return behind the bench for other reasons.. but I think it's a bit short-sighted to assume that he wouldn't tweak his coaching style and system play after watching this team from above the last 3 years. I think we've seen a slight change in his perspective of the game.. and I'd like to think that it would translate to a change on the ice too.

We'll see though... i think we can all agree that all everybody wants here is for progress to be made!!

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I want to see McGill and Lowry as assistant coaches.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote