HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Movie Thread

Old
05-25-2009, 03:16 PM
tytech

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
****. Sorry, man. I thought Dillinger and his gang were still pretty notorious and well known considering some of events they were involved with.
So it's not a love story? I thought it was bonnie and clyde 2009.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:28 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xV Carter 17 Xv View Post
Amazing.

I'd love to add, I love Saving Private Ryan.
I think it just takes the brunt of my hatred for the whole "**** it, let's just make something with WWII" attitude films and video games have

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Layer Cake is an amazing movie, it should get a lot more credit.
I try to spread the word as much as possible

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Snatch is the most underrated movie of all time.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
It's one of my favourites, as is LS&2SB, but I'm not sure about underrated. Everyone I talk to loves it.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:57 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Guy Ritchie is an awesome director.

Old
05-25-2009, 11:23 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkatingDutchman View Post
I know I'll take **** for this but I absolutely hate Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan, other the D-Day scene because that's pretty much impossible to hate.
Why the hate for Saving Private Ryan? I thought Spielberg did a pretty good job of accurately portraying the WWII landscape (which subsequently carried over to Band of Brothers). However, I have to say the Thin Red Line was a better movie in my opinion. The psychological effects of warfare play a much more prominent role. I do agree with you on Braveheart - what a way to **** all over the true William Wallace story.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 11:26 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I don't see how Snatch is underrated at this point, everybody in the world under 30 has seen it.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
I don't see how Snatch is underrated at this point, everybody in the world under 30 has seen it.
Believe it or not i have ran into a lot of people who have never even seen the movie. I don't ever hear about it being a top crime/comedy movie.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 11:36 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Why the hate for Saving Private Ryan? I thought Spielberg did a pretty good job of accurately portraying the WWII landscape (which subsequently carried over to Band of Brothers). However, I have to say the Thin Red Line was a better movie in my opinion. The psychological effects of warfare play a much more prominent role. I do agree with you on Braveheart - what a way to **** all over the true William Wallace story.
Terrence Malick > Steven Spielberg

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 11:54 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

My only problem with Ritchie is that most of his films are very similar, I wish he'd branch out more.

I'm looking forward to Tarantino's new WWII flick, Inglourious Basterds. Scalping nazis? I'm in!

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
My only problem with Ritchie is that most of his films are very similar, I wish he'd branch out more.

I'm looking forward to Tarantino's new WWII flick, Inglourious Basterds. Scalping nazis? I'm in!
I'm looking forward to it as well.

There's a bunch of promising movies coming out this summer.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:33 AM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
I don't know why I didn't like. I mean it was shot so well but the plot seems like it missed the point. After the D-Day scene I was expecting something more like The Longest Day. And the whole "Make the only Nazi who spends more than 20 seconds on film the villian" was so corny. I mean there was more emotional

Band of Brothers gets me every Memorial Day, Veteran's Day and June 6th on the History Channel.

And as for Braveheart, I'll need to create a list.

1. Wallace was from a noble family.
2. His father fought for the English, and didn't get killed by them.
3. The Scottish asked Longshanks to come in and stop a civil war.
4. The Scottish literally asked for it!
5. I won't even get started with the homophobic messages.
6. Historically speaking, Longshanks was a pretty good king. (I'm sure you can back me up here, right?)

Old
05-26-2009, 07:39 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Saw Terminator yesterday . . . it was awesome. I suggest everyone see it.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
...which explains why I haven't.

In other news, I'm currently watching i,robot.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 09:27 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Saw Terminator yesterday . . . it was awesome. I suggest everyone see it.
I had the exact opposite feeling . My girlfriend of all people dragged me to that.

The ending was flat out ridiculous and for a "war" movie there wasn't a drop of blood.

I'll go this far...it was worse than Terminator 3. There, I said it.

Old
05-26-2009, 09:29 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
...which explains why I haven't.

In other news, I'm currently watching i,robot.
Don't subject yourself to that!

Old
05-26-2009, 09:33 AM
ToTheNet

Quote:
I had the exact opposite feeling . My girlfriend of all people dragged me to that.

The ending was flat out ridiculous and for a "war" movie there wasn't a drop of blood.

I'll go this far...it was worse than Terminator 3. There, I said it.
No blood? Umm . . . I hope you understand that the humans were fighting robots, things that don't usually bleed . . . and that the weapons used by the robots were energy weapons that would burn the wound as soon as it entered the body causing it not to bleed all over the place.

What was wrong with the ending?

Old
05-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Opus

Quote:
Don't subject yourself to that!
I'm 37 minutes in and am not overly impressed.

I'm not really watching, just on in the background.

Old
05-26-2009, 09:38 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Opus loves men

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Opus loves men
Says the guy with the following posts...

Quote:
Anything with Evan Stone.
Quote:
Peter.
Quote:
I am so all about Mikko Koskinen.
Hmmm.

Old
05-26-2009, 10:02 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
No blood? Umm . . . I hope you understand that the humans were fighting robots, things that don't usually bleed . . . and that the weapons used by the robots were energy weapons that would burn the wound as soon as it entered the body causing it not to bleed all over the place.

What was wrong with the ending?
The injury sustained by a certain character would have been fatal 100% of the time, there is no way in hell he could have been saved.

As for my "no blood" comment, when that guy was trying to escape from that human prison camp thing he is shot with a minigun...he just hunched over. The amount of bullets he would have been hit with would have ripped him up.

The story was really non-existent either. The first two films had a great story with great action. This one had barely any story other than Marcus, who I did like, and it was action 90% and it was typical tame PG-13 action.

But I'm not surprised. Terminator Salvation was directed by the guy who made Charlie's Angels and it was by the writers of Catwoman. Those were red flags for me.

Two things I also HATED was Bale saying, "I'll be back." which made me vomit out of my ass and then there was the Arnold cameo which was completely done in CGI, I rather soak my balls in acid than see that again.

Old
05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
ToTheNet

Quote:
The injury sustained by a certain character would have been fatal 100% of the time, there is no way in hell he could have been saved.

As for my "no blood" comment, when that guy was trying to escape from that human prison camp thing he is shot with a minigun...he just hunched over. The amount of bullets he would have been hit with would have ripped him up.

The story was really non-existent either. The first two films had a great story with great action. This one had barely any story other than Marcus, who I did like, and it was action 90% and it was typical tame PG-13 action.

But I'm not surprised. Terminator Salvation was directed by the guy who made Charlie's Angels and it was by the writers of Catwoman. Those were red flags for me.

Two things I also HATED was Bale saying, "I'll be back." which made me vomit out of my ass and then there was the Arnold cameo which was completely done in CGI, I rather soak my balls in acid than see that again.
Eh what do you expect, he couldn't have just died; however, I thought it would make for an interesting twist and thought he was a goner.

Fair enough on the mini-gun comment. But that was really the only time there should have been a lot of blood; however, you are right it would have been insanely gorey and most films don't have stuff like that. That scene alone would have made it R, but the movie business is a business and PG-13 gets you more than R.

I'm shocked that the people who made those two suckfests somehow managed to make something this solid. Catwoman was probably one of the worst movies I ever saw and Charlie's Angels was just a mess, but this was pretty good.

Eh you know they had to get all those lines in there "I'll be back", "Come with me if you want to live" They placed a lot of easter eggs and homages in the film. I thought the CGI Arnold was a nice touch. I wish he was actually in the film and it would have actually been very cool if they had a tv on during the opening scene of him giving a speech in favor of Cyberdyne systems. But that was the best CGI I've ever seen. It was insane how good that was. I thought it was actually him.

Old
05-26-2009, 10:25 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:

Hmmm.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:58 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

Hmmm.
Are those from just this thread, or do you save those for zinging him?

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:07 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Eh what do you expect, he couldn't have just died; however, I thought it would make for an interesting twist and thought he was a goner.

Fair enough on the mini-gun comment. But that was really the only time there should have been a lot of blood; however, you are right it would have been insanely gorey and most films don't have stuff like that. That scene alone would have made it R, but the movie business is a business and PG-13 gets you more than R.

I'm shocked that the people who made those two suckfests somehow managed to make something this solid. Catwoman was probably one of the worst movies I ever saw and Charlie's Angels was just a mess, but this was pretty good.

Eh you know they had to get all those lines in there "I'll be back", "Come with me if you want to live" They placed a lot of easter eggs and homages in the film. I thought the CGI Arnold was a nice touch. I wish he was actually in the film and it would have actually been very cool if they had a tv on during the opening scene of him giving a speech in favor of Cyberdyne systems. But that was the best CGI I've ever seen. It was insane how good that was. I thought it was actually him.
I might have enjoyed the movie more if I didn't have to spend $40 going there. Movie ticket prices have shot up over the last few years. When I pay $11 a ticket to see a movie I become a little more critical of what I'm watching. I saw Terminator 2 with my brother in theatres back in '91 and I think it was like $5 a ticket.