HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Fedorov to sign with Metallurg of the KHL

Old
05-26-2009, 12:17 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Report: Fedorov to sign with Metallurg of the KHL

From Puck Daddy:

Quote:
According to Russian newspaper Sport Express, Washington Capitals forward Sergei Fedorov(notes) will sign with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the Kontinental Hockey League this week, ending his 18-year career in the National Hockey League.

A year after Jaromir Jagr(notes) left for greener pastures, it looks as if the NHL will lose another aging future Hall of Famer and legendary import to the KHL. The Capitals soon might have two open spots at forward as his teammate, Viktor Kozlov(notes) could be joining Fedorov as was reported recently.

The Sport Express report states that a two-year deal worth $3.8 million per season is waiting to be signed by the 39-year old Fedorov, who would be joining his two brothers, Fedor and Evgeny, in the KHL.

After defecting from Russia during the Goodwill Games in 1990, Fedorov tallied 483 goals, most by a Russian-born NHL'er, and 1179 points in 1248 career games. A holder of three Stanley Cup rings, all with Detroit, Fedorov was also the recipient of the 1994 Hart and Pearson trophies after a 56 goal, 120-point season with the Red Wings. Add silver and bronze medals from the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics respectively, as well as three gold medals from the World Championships and you've got yourself a bona fide first-ballot Hockey Hall of Famer.

Not factored in the Hall of Famer discussion: him bagging Anna Kournikova.

Contract controversies in during his tenure in Detroit labeled him as yet another greedy athlete. There was the first dispute that ended with the Red Wings matching an offer-sheet by the Carolina Hurricanes in 1998, then another stalemate in 2003 that led to Fedorov signing with the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in 2003. He would later be dealt to Columbus before ending up in Washington at last season's trade deadline. With the Capitals, Fedorov mentored fellow Russian, Alex Ovechkin, who idolized him as a child and became one of the team's most reliable depth players.

Like Jagr before, Fedorov's best days were behind him and he was not going to be able to negotiate another contract worth $4 million/year in the NHL with him turning 40 later this year. He now gets to finish his hockey career at home and with one big, final contract.
I figured he would give it one more year in Washington. Thoughts?

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I was hoping he'd end his career in Detroit

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Al Bundy*

If this is the end for Fedorov in the NHL, at least he provided one last great moment with that game 7 winner.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 07:52 AM
txpd

These reports out of russia are worse than reports out of canada. They had Brashear signing a KHL contract in the middle of the Caps/Pens playoff series. Didn't happen. They have Kozlov signing in Russia, when he clearly wants to play in Washington and his family wants to continue to live in Miami.

Fedorov, always believed to be a man of integridy, has said he wants to play in Washington.

All three of these players have a clear preference to continue their careers in Washington. The reality is that there are scenarios where any or all three may not be able to get a contract with the Capitals and need to consider a plan B.

My take is that is all this is. Fedorov wants to play hockey next season. If he can not play for the Caps, he may sign in the K.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Peter25

According to allhockey.ru (which is pretty reliable) Viktor Kozlov also signed in Russia.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:23 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Biggest two Capitals goals the last two seasons, scored by #91.

It was a privilege to see him in a Caps jersey.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's probably premature to be reading tea leaves, but if these reports are accurate, it seems to me that the Capitals made it apparent to both players in their exit interviews that the team would be going in a different direction. If not, I would have expected them to take somewhat more time to mull over options.

Not forever, but the mid- to late-June time frame would have been the time I would have expected the players and team to have to reach a go/no-go decision. To go now suggests either that the Caps made their intentions plain, or the KHL simply offered a deal too good to pass up.

If the Fedorov report at $3.8M/yr for two years is accurate, then that is certainly more than he would get here, and qualifies as too good to pass up.

Absolutely loved Fedorov as a Cap, but his tenure was was never going to be a long one. Have his jersey and don't regret it for a second. As noted, Fedorov potted the seminal goals of each of the last two seasons.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:41 AM
capsfn95

feds should stay put they can have nylander if they want

capsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 09:54 AM
txpd

Tarik is reporting that Fedorov still wants to play for the Caps. I'll take this KHL report as Fedorov's backup plan and some pressure from Fedorov's camp to not make Fedorov wait to find out where the team stands.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Langway
Intangibles

One of Tarik's comments:
Quote:
The reports are that he is "close" to signing a deal. That part seems to correct. But I'm hearing he's waiting for a counteroffer from the Caps.
It won't be matched in dollar or term so he's really going to have to want to return not to take that offer.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:25 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Tarik is reporting that Fedorov still wants to play for the Caps. I'll take this KHL report as Fedorov's backup plan and some pressure from Fedorov's camp to not make Fedorov wait to find out where the team stands.
Damn you KHL, damn you to hell!!!!!

I would love to have Feds return at a reduced rate for next season, but 3.8 for 2 years is going to be extremely difficult to pass up considering what the Caps are going to ask him to take to return. I cant imagine GM going much higher than 2.5 for next year, and that second year is probably going to be an insuperable hurdle considering what he needs to get done by next offseason (Semin, Backstrom et al.)

Like Strung and Drake said though, it was a pleasure watching him put on the Caps uni if he decides to accept the offer from Metallurg. Watching him celebrate with Ovie after scoring the winner in game seven against the Rangers will always be an indelible memory for me.

Last edited by TheFountainhead: 05-26-2009 at 11:04 AM.
TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
One of Tarik's comments:

It won't be matched in dollar or term so he's really going to have to want to return not to take that offer.
I think the difficulty is it's 3.8 or so tax free.

Would he stay for 2.5? No I don't' think so. I think 3 is going to be what he wants minimum.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

if we have to match or beat 3.8x2 you have to let him walk, that would not be a good deal for the future of the caps.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:40 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Very surprised. I always figured Sergei was 'Americanized' and wouldn't want to go back and live in Russia. This story is on tsn, which gives it more creditability.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I want Feds back for one more season...At the right price.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Apparently Kozlov signed in Russia.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/275398.html

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...0#post19691320

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:27 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
This story is on tsn, which gives it more creditability.
TNS mishandles Rus news as a rule. In any case TSN Rus news a reprints from Rus media. The credibility of this one comes from Sport Express.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku...i_sku=07015151

Think I would rather pay $1.09 for glue...

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Very surprised. I always figured Sergei was 'Americanized' and wouldn't want to go back and live in Russia. This story is on tsn, which gives it more creditability.
Yes, Sergei is not one of those who goes back to Russia for the offseason. He has lived in Michigan in the offseason his entire career, while obviously spending the season in various places he's played. His entire family, save his brother in the KHL, lives in Detroit or with him during the season. He's defiantly not the type to bolt for the KHL.

I'm also surprised he's that close to Fedor, there's a huge age gap there and Sergei was playing pro hockey for most of his life. While Fedor did move to Detroit with Sergei's parents, he started playing in the OHL in Canada shortly thereafter.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:18 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

DIdn't that make that ridiculous song/video a few years back? lol

Big Vik in Russia now too? wft...I thought he was all over being a Cap.

Old
05-26-2009, 12:19 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Didn't Sergei and Fedor make that ridiculous song/video a few years back? lol

Big Vik in Russia now too? wft...I thought he was all over being a Cap.
Fixed.

Old
05-26-2009, 12:22 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...-a-done-d.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEB
While that may indeed happen, I was just told moments ago by someone in the Fedorov camp that the 39-year-old veteran still has interest in playing for Washington next season. But for Fedorov to return to the Caps, I was told via text message, "a decision has to be made soon by Wash."

Fedorov made $4 million on a one-year contract this season.
The latest from TEB is here ^^

Sounds like he will give us a chance to match or come close, but isn't about to play here for peanuts, nor wait around forever for a decision. Can't say anyone could blame him.

Dale Hunter, Joe Juneau, Feds... that short list has a place in all time Caps history, and he won't be forgotten for it.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:41 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Agent Allan Walsh Tweets that Viktor Kozlov of the Capitals has "signed a 2 year deal with Salavat Yulaev (UFA) in the KHL." Technology ... moving ... too ... fast.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
Agent Allan Walsh Tweets that Viktor Kozlov of the Capitals has "signed a 2 year deal with Salavat Yulaev (UFA) in the KHL." Technology ... moving ... too ... fast.
is that kozlov's agent?

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote