HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey III (All Non-Jackets related NHL/Hockey Talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Socks
HeadFake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I want the Hawks as well but reality is reality.. The Red Wings of late are one of the best NHL hockey teams I've ever seen play the game.

They truely are the best organization in the league-even with the cap.
Yeah I agree. They are a playoff machine. Osgood is redeeeming his entire regular season performance. I won't be a bit surprised (though maybe a tad disappointed) to see them repeat as champions.

Old
05-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Brassard Calder

Calgary fired Iron Mike Keenan.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279606

Quote:
After a disappointing end to their season, the Calgary Flames announced the firing of head coach Mike Keenan on Friday afternoon.

"Our team did not meet expectations, Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter said in a statement. ''Following detailed evaluation over the past three weeks, and taking into consideration all factors affecting our season ending result, we believe this is a necessary change required to allow our team to continue toward our objective of winning the Stanley Cup."
Didn't see it posted in here anywhere, so sorry if it already was.

Can't say I'm too surprised that he was fired, but it will be interesting to see who GM Darryl Sutter decides to hire. His brother Brent is still under contract for one more season with the Devils so he is likely out of the equation for now. Would Darryl consider going back behind the bench for a season until he can hire Brent?

Old
05-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Thanks for playing, Chicago...

Old
05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Thanks for playing, Chicago...
Pretty embarrassing game. And for this game, definitely not impressed with Kane's performance (though he's not alone in that respect).

Chicago basically looks leaderless.

Here's hoping we get to see a miracle in the third.

Old
05-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Hawks doing their best Jackets impersonation. Stopped watching after it was 5-1, checked on it to see goal #6... any reason why Conklin came in? What's the point of putting Huet back in?

Old
05-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Hawks doing their best Jackets impersonation. Stopped watching after it was 5-1, checked on it to see goal #6... any reason why Conklin came in? What's the point of putting Huet back in?
Speculation was that Conklin was being put in to protect Osgood. Probably a good idea in that game, as Chicago was very undisciplined. As for Huet, it's anyone's guess, but I'd say to try to salvage some of his confidence in case (or because--I don't know Khabibulin's status) he needs to keep on playing.

Old
05-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Good news for Pubs...

Feds to the KHL: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279927

Old
05-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Good news for Pubs...

Feds to the KHL: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279927
Good news for me too, I never liked Feds.

Old
05-26-2009, 12:21 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
Good news for me too, I never liked Feds.
What is it about Fedorov that BJ fans dont like? I never got that. I dont think he was ever hated in Anahiem, and certainly not with Washington

Old
05-26-2009, 01:12 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I would not presume to speak for all, or even most, CBJ fans; but I'm sure that some of the animosity stems from a feeling that Fedorov was paid too much for what he produced here. High expectations unmet often lead to great disappointment and anger.

Old
05-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
What is it about Fedorov that BJ fans dont like? I never got that. I dont think he was ever hated in Anahiem, and certainly not with Washington
Occasionally he could take a game completely over, and we saw the skill that he displayed for so many years in Detroit. However, normally, he just mailed it in.

The first year he was here the Jackets were completely out of D-Men. So Feds ended up there. He played really well, but complained about it the entire time. When he was traded to Washington all he could talk about was how great it was to be in an open system again where he wasn't so restricted.

Basically though, the argument boils down to paying a player over 6 mil a year to score an average of 13 goals a season. Rick Nash and Sergei Fedorov played on the same team for 3 years, yet the argument continues to be made, that Rick Nash still hasn't played with a decent centerman for his entire career. That should tell you how Fedorov played in Columbus.

Old
05-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Skraut

Viktor Kozlov is also leaving for the KHL. http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279980 I wonder if we're going to regret drafting Filatov. I really hope not.

Old
05-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Skraut and pete goegan touched on it. I wasn't really a fan of Federov when the Blue Jackets acquired him in the first place. Then add in the fact that he didn't produce much, lack luster effort and lack of heart while he was here, the complaining, he came off as arrogant, and the comments after his departure all add up to why I don't like him. I understand he was in the twilight of his career, but I still never saw the great leader he was billed to be or any sort of production meriting the boatloads of money he was paid while here.

Old
05-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Viktor Kozlov is also leaving for the KHL. http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279980 I wonder if we're going to regret drafting Filatov. I really hope not.
I wouldn't worry too much. Look at their ages. Federov is 40, and Kozlov is 34. Their best years are behind them, and in Federov's case way behind him. They are able to make more money back home now, whereas Filatov has his whole career ahead of him so the money will be here. Plus its Filatov's dream to play in the NHL, so I don't think we have too much to worry about. He wants to be here. Feds was ready to go home.

Old
05-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Brassard Calder

Oilers name Quinn head coach

Quote:
Pat Quinn was named head coach of the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday, replacing the fired Craig MacTavish.

Former Rangers head coach Tom Renney and former Oilers player Kelly Buchberger were named to his staff as assistant coaches.
I like that hire for the Oilers. Quinn will do a good job there as he has in all his previous stops.

Old
05-26-2009, 03:46 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassard Calder View Post
Skraut and pete goegan touched on it. I wasn't really a fan of Federov when the Blue Jackets acquired him in the first place. Then add in the fact that he didn't produce much, lack luster effort and lack of heart while he was here, the complaining, he came off as arrogant, and the comments after his departure all add up to why I don't like him. I understand he was in the twilight of his career, but I still never saw the great leader he was billed to be or any sort of production meriting the boatloads of money he was paid while here.
Do you think it was the style that the BJ's play in that affected his play? Look at the teams he has played for, they seem to be more offensive systrems, whereas Hitch is more of a defensive minded coach.

Who did he play with? Was it always Nash, or other players.

Old
05-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Do you think it was the style that the BJ's play in that affected his play? Look at the teams he has played for, they seem to be more offensive systrems, whereas Hitch is more of a defensive minded coach.

Who did he play with? Was it always Nash, or other players.
Feds only played parts of one season and parts of half a season under Hitch...

Old
05-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Renion

Always thought Fedorov was the consummate professional who was, unfortunately, on the downside of his career.

Victim of the MacLean hype machine, and those who listened to it, more than anything else, in my opinion.

I used to torment my sister by teasing Fedorov for being old and slow at times, but I never mistook that for a lack of heart.

I don't blame players for their paychecks unless they clearly dog it after having one great contract-year season. Fedorov wasn't worth what he was paid while with the Jackets, but he didn't put a gun to a GM's head, back in the day, to get the contract.

I thought the team missed Fedorov's play after he was gone. We've never had a plethora of puck carriers, and he was one of the few. He was also great at making the first pass, calming the game down, and so on. If we expected him to never age, that was our own fault.

Old
05-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Occasionally he could take a game completely over, and we saw the skill that he displayed for so many years in Detroit. However, normally, he just mailed it in.

The first year he was here the Jackets were completely out of D-Men. So Feds ended up there. He played really well, but complained about it the entire time. When he was traded to Washington all he could talk about was how great it was to be in an open system again where he wasn't so restricted.

Basically though, the argument boils down to paying a player over 6 mil a year to score an average of 13 goals a season. Rick Nash and Sergei Fedorov played on the same team for 3 years, yet the argument continues to be made, that Rick Nash still hasn't played with a decent centerman for his entire career. That should tell you how Fedorov played in Columbus.
That's a little unfair. I don't ever remember him complaining about anything while in Columbus or after he left. Yes, he made the comments of "it's nice to be playing in an open system," but I'm sure he wouldn't be the only one to say that. Hitch is one of the most structured and most demanding coaches in the league. That's why he's so good. Some players, like Nash, Umberger, or Hejda can thrive under that type of leadership. Other guys just aren't built for it.

The only comments he made regarding playing defense was when he was asked if he'd permanently move to defense (to potentially prolong his career), he said basically thanks but no thanks. I don't think it's wrong for him to not want to permanently change positions after a long (and successful) career as a center. But he was never whining or complaining, in fact, he just shut up and helped the team however he could those last few months.

Old
05-26-2009, 05:46 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Always thought Fedorov was the consummate professional who was, unfortunately, on the downside of his career.

Victim of the MacLean hype machine, and those who listened to it, more than anything else, in my opinion.

I used to torment my sister by teasing Fedorov for being old and slow at times, but I never mistook that for a lack of heart.

I don't blame players for their paychecks unless they clearly dog it after having one great contract-year season. Fedorov wasn't worth what he was paid while with the Jackets, but he didn't put a gun to a GM's head, back in the day, to get the contract.

I thought the team missed Fedorov's play after he was gone. We've never had a plethora of puck carriers, and he was one of the few. He was also great at making the first pass, calming the game down, and so on. If we expected him to never age, that was our own fault.
You nailed it, Ren. But more importantly, who is that in your new avatar? I loved your Layne one, but this a nice change of pace.

Old
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
You nailed it, Ren. But more importantly, who is that in your new avatar? I loved your Layne one, but this a nice change of pace.
Yeah, I had Layne the longest of any avatar I've had on this board, I think. New one is Dolores O'Riordan, of The Cranberries (though she now has a solo career). I recently rediscovered them, and Dolores is just adorable in so many ways.

Old
05-26-2009, 07:06 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Yeah, I had Layne the longest of any avatar I've had on this board, I think. New one is Dolores O'Riordan, of The Cranberries (though she now has a solo career). I recently rediscovered them, and Dolores is just adorable in so many ways.
Oh wow, I thought it looked like her. I too rediscovered them about a year ago. Gotta love that early '90s alternative rock and chicks with Irish accents.

Old
05-26-2009, 07:12 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

wow, soft as a baby's bottom goal, cam ward!

Old
05-26-2009, 07:13 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
wow, soft as a baby's bottom goal, cam ward!
The Versus color analyst summed it up pretty well: "O-M-G."

Old
05-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
Oh wow, I thought it looked like her. I too rediscovered them about a year ago. Gotta love that early '90s alternative rock and chicks with Irish accents.
Heck yeah

It's from the Linger video.

And yeah, not a good goal to give up for Ward.

Closed Thread