HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-season: Rats/Phantoms

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2004, 09:38 AM
David Puddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
We have high hopes for him, no doubt about that, but he wasn't hyped ridiculously. The majority of us wanted him to stay up with the big club for another week or two while Esche recovered, mainly so we didn't have to make a trade for another goaltender. EVERY fanbase will have it's idiots, so their comments shouldn't be taken seriously, but I don't remember anyone going as far as David Puddy put it. Maybe a few idiots like Capn89, who wanted him to start in the playoffs, but that was it.
My comment really was light-hearted. I saw some people on an independent Flyers board (the one that is links to Phillies and Eagles boards) and several posters were hailing how great Niittymaki already is. They were looking at Marty Brodeur's QMJHL numbers and determining that Antero would be better than Marty.

Niittymaki's numbers look good, but he beat Washington, Atlanta and a listless New Jersey. The Devils had just lost 4-0 to Vancouver, wasn't even that close, and they would lose their next game to the Rangers 3-1. In the Devils-Flyers game, New Jersey players dumped a lot of shots on goal from around the blueline to challange the rookie goalie. They never created traffic in front of the crease.

Mainly though, I think that Robert Esche has earned the right to be the Flyers #1 goalie based on his regular season, playoffs and World Cup of Hockey performances in 2003-04. He's only 26 years old and seems like some are trying to run him out of town already.

Closed Thread