Proposal: NYR - ATL

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2009, 07:53 PM
ArVeeDee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Exactly, considering he has been an extremely capable defensive-minded center his entire career and usually top-20 in takeaways you'd think would just be another reason to brag about him on top of his recent production. Thank you!
I laugh at posts like this. I'm not singling you out, but everyone here and on the official forum was constantly giving Todd White hell last season.

Old
05-11-2009, 11:43 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeDee View Post
I laugh at posts like this. I'm not singling you out, but everyone here and on the official forum was constantly giving Todd White hell last season.
He was trash offensively his first season, but solid defensively, it's too bad we weren't looking for a defensive center on our first line. This season he put them both together and was great, earned his salary, and thus the *****ing ended. Guess he just needed the right coach.

Old
05-12-2009, 06:06 AM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeDee View Post
Not me. Yes, Todd's first year was disappointing but he had lot's of company there, the team was full of new players and new coaches. But even that year I wasn't one of those bashers calling him Charmin'.

How silly. There's not one poster on any of these boards that could come close to playing to Todd White's level. Everyone has the right to offer a critical assessment of any player. No one has any right to ridicule White or any other player. (I'm trying to follow my own advice on that last part but it's hard.)

Old
05-12-2009, 07:16 AM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
We're not going to add a center. We have a definite need for a Top 6 RW and a Top 4 stay at home d-man. Those are the only two moves anyone should expect the Thrashers to make.
Who do you think the Thrashers can acquire, either through trade or free agency, to fill these slots, and what would Atlanta have to offer in a trade to acquire such players?

Old
05-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
Who do you think the Thrashers can acquire, either through trade or free agency, to fill these slots, and what would Atlanta have to offer in a trade to acquire such players?
Signing Ilya Nikulin or Mike Komisarek or Matthias Ohlund will fill the need for a top 6 d-man. I don't think DW will trade for one as there is still some decent talent in the farm that could step up at training camp.

Joffrey Lupul is a favourite among the trade board to fill the top 6 RW spot to be acquired in exchange for Ondrej Pavelec.

Old
05-12-2009, 07:53 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Thrashers need a center for Kovalchuk. Todd white, while he did well, is not that center. They need some one who can distribute the puck, and is fast. Scott Gomez would be perfect IMHO. Heres the proposal.

I want perspective from Thrashers fans to see what they think on this.

Hows this for a deal.

Gomez, Sanguenetti, Korpikoski rights to Zherdev, Rangers first in 09 for Thrashers first in 09 and Todd White.

Its a win win. Thrashers get a top line center for Kovalchuk, two prospects and rights Zherdev who I have a feeling would DOMINATE with Gomez and Kovalchuk.

Rangers get rid of some salary, and a top draft pick.

For those of you who don't know much about the Rangers prospects, Sanguenetti is one of our top three prospects and top defensive prospect.

Korpikoski has the ability to be a good two way center, and can play wing effectively. Great on the PK.

Zherdev, has all the talent in the world and I feel could pull it together playing with Kovalchuk.

Thoughts?
I've read through most of the posts on this subject and regardless of what the majority of posters here think, Todd White is a solid 2nd line center AT BEST. Yes he did just post his 1st 70+ point season, but that was because he was mis-cast as a 1st liner playing first line minutes and such.

Trading Gomez, Korpikoski Sanguinetti and the rights to Zherdev for a type of player we already have to many of and a 1st rounder not in the top 2 is a waste of assets for the Rangers and Sather would never do it.

It's WAY to much.

I don't think I would part with that package for the #1 overall. I just don't think that Tavares is a Franchise player and to me, that package is worthy of a franchise player.

A legit 1st line center - Gomez
A Legit 2nd line RW with 1st line Potential still - Zherdev
A legit 3rd line winger with 2nd line potential - Korpikoski
A top prospect that has potential for top pairing offensive contributions - Sanguinetti

Personally speaking, I'd rather have the proven comodities above than the unknown of a Tavares - Hedman - Duchene - MPS - Kane or any othe rprospect coming in this years draft.

Todd White is a nice complimentary player capable of posting 40+ point seasons on a regular basis. Last year was an abberation and at his age, I really would not put any money on the odds that he repeats that success. It's not a knock, because while he may not be a onsistent scoring threat, he does do alot of other things teams need to win games. That said, we have a more consistent version of Todd White in Chris Drury. Addint Todd White to the mix here in NY does nothing to improve our weak offence. Adding a 1st rounder while subtracting the players above does nothing to improve our weak offence.

Bottom line is that the deal doesn't work for Atl cause of the $$ they would be taking on (well over 10 million) and it doesn't work for the Rangers cause they would be weaker offensively while stronger in potential and potential doesn't win you many games.

Old
05-12-2009, 01:06 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
I expect, once again, that we attempt to bring Ilya Nikulin over. If unsuccessful, Komisarek will certainly receive an offer. Beauchemin would be another likely target.

As for RW: Samuelsson, Knuble, Lupul are 3 options. While both listed as Centers, Hudler and Filppula could be on our radar as well since they are both more than capable of playing on the wing.

We'd attempt to ship off Pavelec to either Philly or Detroit for one of Lupul, Filppula, or Hudler.

Old
05-12-2009, 01:32 PM
fatschoonerrat

I'm hoping we can find a good, steady D to replace Havelid who can also mentor Valabik.

Old
05-12-2009, 02:27 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
I'm hoping we can find a good, steady D to replace Havelid who can also mentor Valabik.
I was typing just this very thing in yesterday, and deleted it because I thought it would be mocked.

Glad I'm not alone in this thought!

Old
05-12-2009, 04:17 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
I expect, once again, that we attempt to bring Ilya Nikulin over. If unsuccessful, Komisarek will certainly receive an offer. Beauchemin would be another likely target.

As for RW: Samuelsson, Knuble, Lupul are 3 options. While both listed as Centers, Hudler and Filppula could be on our radar as well since they are both more than capable of playing on the wing.

We'd attempt to ship off Pavelec to either Philly or Detroit for one of Lupul, Filppula, or Hudler.
Lehtonen, Valabik for Nodl and Lupul

Old
05-12-2009, 04:47 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Lehtonen, Valabik for Nodl and Lupul
Very unbalanced trade for Thrashers. A good 2nd line RW and a another RW that's basicly still a prospect for Lehtonen AND Valabik? LOLOL you have to be kidding. This trade doesn't even work with Pavelec instead of Lehtonen

Plus, Philly's not going to dump any salary in this trade which they need to do. This deal is even in salary at best. Fact is, they would likely take on more salary.

Old
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Forget about Nikulin. He's never coming over.

Old
05-13-2009, 09:35 AM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

From what I’m reading on these message boards, Waddell has a budget of about $45 million to work with, correct? I’ve also heard comments attributed to him that he’s going to go mostly with the existing roster (which I think is a by-product of the $45 million budget. It doesn’t give him much wiggle room unless he get’s very creative….)

Would anyone care to take a stab at the Thrashers roster as of now, and projected cap hit using Irish Blues’ cap data presently on this website:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=ATL

Are the Thrashers expecting the #4 pick in the draft to make the roster this year?
The cap hit would be quite steep based on the cap-hits of the top players drafted last year.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:11 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
From what I’m reading on these message boards, Waddell has a budget of about $45 million to work with, correct? I’ve also heard comments attributed to him that he’s going to go mostly with the existing roster (which I think is a by-product of the $45 million budget. It doesn’t give him much wiggle room unless he get’s very creative….)

Would anyone care to take a stab at the Thrashers roster as of now, and projected cap hit using Irish Blues’ cap data presently on this website:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=ATL

Are the Thrashers expecting the #4 pick in the draft to make the roster this year?
The cap hit would be quite steep based on the cap-hits of the top players drafted last year.
Not expecting, but he'll get his shot at camp, per the usual

Old
05-14-2009, 09:13 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
I'm not expecting him to make the roster. I believe, however, he will get an extended look, and may actually play a few games before being sent back to Juniors (or, in the case of MSP, to Chicago).

Old
05-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker1 View Post
Very unbalanced trade for Thrashers. A good 2nd line RW and a another RW that's basicly still a prospect for Lehtonen AND Valabik? LOLOL you have to be kidding. This trade doesn't even work with Pavelec instead of Lehtonen

Plus, Philly's not going to dump any salary in this trade which they need to do. This deal is even in salary at best. Fact is, they would likely take on more salary.
How is Valabiks skating? What Lehtonen is looking for in tems of contract?

thanks

Old
05-17-2009, 09:18 AM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
How is Valabiks skating? What Lehtonen is looking for in tems of contract?

thanks
Valabik still needs work on his skating and really he needs work on all of his game. He would have been better off in Chicago for another year or two but there was pressure to get him up and he got enough ice time to benefit his game. We'll see if he can play w/o being an easy target for the refs.

Lehtonen is an Arbitration Eligible RFA so he may get a contract of several years or the team may try to overpay him on another one year deal. Lehts was on his "trial year" last season where he needed to be injury free and playing in the top 10 of the league. He gets an incomplete grade since he had a back problem and later a concussion (he played in 46 gms) but in between he played very well. Salary $3-3.5M or more for a one year deal. He could definitely be had by a team willing to overpay in a trade for a forward or d-man, possibly to include a goalie in return.

Old
05-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker1 View Post
Valabik still needs work on his skating and really he needs work on all of his game. He would have been better off in Chicago for another year or two but there was pressure to get him up and he got enough ice time to benefit his game. We'll see if he can play w/o being an easy target for the refs.

Lehtonen is an Arbitration Eligible RFA so he may get a contract of several years or the team may try to overpay him on another one year deal. Lehts was on his "trial year" last season where he needed to be injury free and playing in the top 10 of the league. He gets an incomplete grade since he had a back problem and later a concussion (he played in 46 gms) but in between he played very well. Salary $3-3.5M or more for a one year deal. He could definitely be had by a team willing to overpay in a trade for a forward or d-man, possibly to include a goalie in return.
Very risky trade for the Flyers. Boom or bust type.

Old
05-18-2009, 01:29 PM
toph2o

At least we didn't ask for Coburn back...

Old
05-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph2o View Post
At least we didn't ask for Coburn back...
I guess I should say thanks

Old
05-26-2009, 03:03 PM
GAGLine

How about Rozsival for Exelby and a 3rd?

Rozy can play 20+ minutes, he's solid defensively and can chip in a little offensively. I think he would be a good veteran presence to take pressure off Enstrom and Bogosian.

Thoughts?

Old
05-26-2009, 04:55 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
How about Rozsival for Exelby and a 3rd?

Rozy can play 20+ minutes, he's solid defensively and can chip in a little offensively. I think he would be a good veteran presence to take pressure off Enstrom and Bogosian.

Thoughts?
If we can't sign a solid middle defenseman this offseason for less than 4 million then I'd be more than happy to take this offer.

Old
05-26-2009, 04:57 PM
kracker1

That would be a good salary dump for the Rangers. Don't know that he's the guy for the Thrash at $5M. Our need isn't so much PP offense where Rosival gets about 45% of his points....he was a -7 (-2 for Exelby) last season, tho maybe his minus season was an anomaly. We need the 20+ min defensive stopper that's resting while the PP units are out there. I think you have to make it a straight salary dump, no pick, to maybe get a look from Atlanta.

Closed Thread