HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl-atl-phi

Old
05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

vCash: 500
Mtl-atl-phi

Montreal Gets
4th overall
45th overall

Montreal Gives
Higgins
Halak
O'Byrne
Fisher
18th overall

Atlanta Gets
JVR
Briere
Fisher
Halak
O'Byrne

Atlanta Gives
4th overall
Lehtonen
45th overall

Philadelphia Gets
Higgins
Lehtonen
18th overall

Philadelphia Gives
JVR
Briere

Reasoning

Montreal:We trade guys who have value but will never have the opportunity to play as much as they deserve on our lineup for a chance at drafting a franchise center. Halak will never get to become #1 behind Price, we have plenty of defensive prospects so we can afford to trade away O'Byrne and Fisher, we have a bunch of wingers who can play top 9 roles (provided we sign at least one of Tanguay or Kovalev) so Higgins is expendable, and finally, with the emergence of Maxime Lapierre we can afford to let go of one of chipchura or maxwell since they will also not be able to get a top three center role. I personally think we'd be better off with a veteran goalie to back up Price and the second round pick allows us to draft a goalie since the pipeline is pretty thin.

Atlanta: They get a top winger prospect to replace the loss of the 4th overall, they get the ideal center to play with Kovalchuk in Briere and even though he costs a lot you dont really gain too much salary since you're trading Lehtonen, they allow themselves to keep a good young goaltending duo by acquiring Halak, they get two good defensive prospects, one a first round pick from two or three years ago, the other a big and mobile defensive defenseman who has the tools to be a top 4 defenseman in the nhl.

Philadelphia: Although they come out about even in salary, it would be used to fill 3 roster spots instead of one and fill out some needs. Higgins would be cheaper than Knuble and is an excellent PKer which would take off some of the stress from your top line players. He is also very versatile and can play in any position on your forward lineup incase of injuries. Lehtonen finally gives them a good young starting goalie which they are in serious need of. You also get a first round pick in a very deep draft which could even be used along with your first to move up a lot in the draft to pick a top prospect.

I found it hard to determine the value of quantity vs. quality but I figure if each team seems to improve, you can't really say anyone runs away with this.

BTW, I know this entire trade completely depends on Briere waiving his NMC but i think if he's promised first line ice time alongside Kovalchuk he will definitely think about it.

Your thoughts? Any changes you would make? Could something like this realistically happen?

Edited: 3rd round pick removed from ATL and 18th overall replaces chipchura going to the flyers.

Last edited by Playmaker09: 05-26-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs0492 View Post
Philadelphia Gets
Higgins
Lehtonen
Chipchura or Maxwell

Philadelphia Gives
JVR
Briere
So we're giving up Briere and JVR?
I don't think Higgins or Chipchura have much value to the Flyers over the players they have now.

So it is Lehtonen that is really the return for them. Briere and JVR for Lehtonen is.......steep, I guess is a good way to put it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Jray42

vCash: 86
we dont want higgins or whatever the other **** MTL is dumping on us, and briere and JVR for lehtonen?

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:54 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
we dont want higgins or whatever the other **** MTL is dumping on us, and briere and JVR for lehtonen?

Just have the Habs make an offer to Atl for their 4th. We all know that the Flyers don't need any help from other teams.Didn't you know. There winning the cup this yr.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

You spent some time on this. Well done. However looking at it from the Flyers side I have to pass. Higgins is so so. The other two, the juries still out on. We need a little more incentive to pull the trigger.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
BrindamoursNose

Flyers get *****ed.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
OneSharpMarble

We get the 4th overall for a bag of spare parts! Did the OP even THINK before this post?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Just have the Habs make an offer to Atl for their 4th. We all know that the Flyers don't need any help from other teams.Didn't you know. There winning the cup this yr.
This is true, we didn't win the cup this year. That means we should accept any and every trade offered to us. It's only help if it...you know...helps. We could get Lehtonen for JVR straight up. Higgins and Chipchura for Briere? Pass, thanks.

Also, like hockeypete said, you spent some time laying the post out and thinking it through, so good effort I didn't mean to just shoot ti down. It is just that the player's MTL is giving up don't really have any value over the players they replace in Philly's line up (not to say they have no value). We would be better off brokering JVR for Lehtonen, and trying to trade Briere for a pick or defenseman.

Old
05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Flyers get *****ed.
this.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:10 PM
twenty2

Change Higgins to Pacioretty, change Chipchura to McDonagh, and add a 2nd or Maxwell.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

The only way I can see Philly giving up both JVR and Briere is if they are getting that 4th along with Lehtonen...really don't understand why Montreal gets it considering what they are giving up.

Plus 11 moving parts just isn't going to happen.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
There's way too much going on here to be realistic.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:14 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
This is true, we didn't win the cup this year. That means we should accept any and every trade offered to us. It's only help if it...you know...helps. We could get Lehtonen for JVR straight up. Higgins and Chipchura for Briere? Pass, thanks.

Also, like hockeypete said, you spent some time laying the post out and thinking it through, so good effort I didn't mean to just shoot ti down. It is just that the player's MTL is giving up don't really have any value over the players they replace in Philly's line up (not to say they have no value). We would be better off brokering JVR for Lehtonen, and trying to trade Briere for a pick or defenseman.
My post was not ment for all Flyer fans just the one who made it seem all the Habs coiuld offer was garbage.I do agree that the Flyers wouldn't accept the offer. Trading Briere for a d-man makes a lot of sense and on the JVR for Lehtonen. I don't think that gets it done .I think Atl would be asking for JVR + for Lehts and deservely they should.

Old
05-26-2009, 06:16 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Change Higgins to Pacioretty, change Chipchura to McDonagh, and add a 2nd or Maxwell.

This is worst than the OP's offer.

Old
05-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

this is probably the first time i have seen an offer for lehts/1st round pick that i actually like.

halak and hedberg split time while pavelec keeps working in the ahl, then pavs becomes the backup when hedberg will probably retire after next season and even if he ends up not panning out halak gives them an option until they can find a better #1.

atlanta also gets their top 6 winger prospect and while i don't like briere as a centerpiece as a part of a package like this i'm willing to take the risk that he doesn't fit well with kovy and at worst we have his skill as a 2nd line center. everything else in there for atlanta is pretty much crap they will get rid of later.

still philly gets absolutely mauled in this deal so i'll just keep the 4th and lehts and be on my way

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:22 PM
twenty2

Quote:
This is worst than the OP's offer.
That was the point.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs0492 View Post
Montreal Gets
4th overall
45th overall

Montreal Gives
Higgins
Halak
Chipchura or Maxwell
O'Byrne
Fisher
65th overall

Atlanta Gets
JVR
Briere
Fisher
Halak
O'Byrne
65th overall

Atlanta Gives
4th overall
Lehtonen
45th overall

Philadelphia Gets
Higgins
Lehtonen
Chipchura or Maxwell

Philadelphia Gives
JVR
Briere

Reasoning

Montreal:We trade guys who have value but will never have the opportunity to play as much as they deserve on our lineup for a chance at drafting a franchise center. Halak will never get to become #1 behind Price, we have plenty of defensive prospects so we can afford to trade away O'Byrne and Fisher, we have a bunch of wingers who can play top 9 roles (provided we sign at least one of Tanguay or Kovalev) so Higgins is expendable, and finally, with the emergence of Maxime Lapierre we can afford to let go of one of chipchura or maxwell since they will also not be able to get a top three center role. I personally think we'd be better off with a veteran goalie to back up Price and the second round pick allows us to draft a goalie since the pipeline is pretty thin.

Atlanta: They get a top winger prospect to replace the loss of the 4th overall, they get the ideal center to play with Kovalchuk in Briere and even though he costs a lot you dont really gain too much salary since you're trading Lehtonen, they allow themselves to keep a good young goaltending duo by acquiring Halak, they get two good defensive prospects, one a first round pick from two or three years ago, the other a big and mobile defensive defenseman who has the tools to be a top 4 defenseman in the nhl.

Philadelphia: Although they come out about even in salary, it would be used to fill 3 roster spots instead of one and fill out some needs. The option of chipcura or maxwell is mainly because i'm not sure what you would like to do with your third line (offensive or checking) considering I've seen a lot of Flyer fans wanting Giroux on the top line next year although maxwell wouldn't be NHL ready next year. Higgins would be cheaper than Knuble and is an excellent PKer which would take off some of the stress from your top line players. He is also very versatile and can play in any position on your forward lineup incase of injuries. Lehtonen finally gives them a good young starting goalie which they are in serious need of.

I found it hard to determine the value of quantity vs. quality but I figure if each team seems to improve, you can't really say anyone runs away with this.

BTW, I know this entire trade completely depends on Briere waiving his NMC but i think if he's promised first line ice time alongside Kovalchuk he will definitely think about it.

Your thoughts? Any changes you would make? Could something like this realistically happen?
So Montreal gives up all these players for two draft picks? Pass on some of what you are smoking!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
mercury

Awful deal for the Flyers.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:33 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

No complaints from a Thrashers perspective

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Wow, want some of the drugs you are on bud!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:36 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Wow, want some of the drugs you are on bud!
That's actually not crazier than the original deal.

Old
05-26-2009, 08:48 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
That's actually not crazier than the original deal.
Can you really say that with a straight face.Even the guy that posted it said it was.

Old
05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
mercury

Quote:
Can you really say that with a straight face.Even the guy that posted it said it was.
Yeah, I can. The value may be even more wildly off, but the original poster was serious.

Old
05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I think Atl would be asking for JVR + for Lehts and deservedly they should.
Unless the + is something small I would disagree. I think straight up it is close to fair value, but somewhat risky for both teams. There is a chance Lehtonen never performs at a level higher than he is now, and there is a chance that JVR becomes a decent 2nd line winger and not the player he was projected to be. If either one of those happens and the other doesn't then one team wins the trade by a mile.

Old
05-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
So we're giving up Briere and JVR?
I don't think Higgins or Chipchura have much value to the Flyers over the players they have now.

So it is Lehtonen that is really the return for them. Briere and JVR for Lehtonen is.......steep, I guess is a good way to put it.
Yeah, checking back on it i guess i didn't pay enough attention to Philly's side but i have to disagree about Higgins. A guy who scored 27 goals 2 seasons ago is definitely a more proven replacement in the top 9 than any of the players on your fourth line or in the minors.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote