HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pre-Game Workout (Working out on game day)

Old
05-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Pre-Game Workout (Working out on game day)

I recently lost a lot of weight and am attempting to build muscle and keep working out every single day. On game day's should i still work out?

What is your gameday workout routine?

I try to do a little light lifting, light stretching and ride on the bike for about 5 miles at a slower pace.

Should i be doing more/less?

Anyone know what a typical nhl gameday is like?

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 02:16 PM
GuitarAwesome

vCash: 500
Back when we took hockey seriously, the typical game day was as follows:

Morning skate at around 9 AM. Bike after morning skate. Lunch/early dinner. Arrive at game about 60-90 minutes early. Light stretching-little cardio before the game. We never, ever worked out on game days. I would imagine you would want to save your muscles the stress of working out before you put them through a high intensity game.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
For about the past year I've been working out before I drive to my games. I play in intermediate-advance beer leagues so it's not as though I have to be a tri-athlete to log 20-30 minutes of ice time. I warm up on the bike for 7 minutes then lift weights, 1 or 2 sets of whatever I feel like doing. You will hear from everybody that this works and that doesn't but I have found what I do to work for me. I'm 36 and I work for FedEx so my legs and body are in a constant state of recovery. I take supplements almost every day I work, usually a protein/carb 4/1 mix in Powerade (need the vitamin B at my age). When I lift weights and play hockey I will stack that with EAS Betagen (creatine). I have found that I do not fatigue during games, by lifting weights and finding the right supplementation FOR ME that I feel much better during games. I arrive at the rink feeling good, the testosterone is pumping and I'm ready to go as hard as I need to go. You have to take into account I've been lifting weights regularly for the past 9 years so I have a good base of muscle so when I work out pre-game I'm not trying to build mucle, merely trying to wake my body up and get oxygen into my muscles. Before I leave the gym I will stretch out. The bottom lin is you have to find what works for you. Some people will say taking creatine is crazy, some people will say lifiting weights before playing hockey is crazy, other people will swear by it. If you feel better after lifting weights then you should maintain a program. If you start to fatigue during games then you need to adjust, but there are a number of factors that could go into it including hydration, diet, sleep, your job, your age, etc..

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
I recently lost a lot of weight and am attempting to build muscle and keep working out every single day. On game day's should i still work out?

I try to do a little light lifting, light stretching and ride on the bike for about 5 miles at a slower pace.

Anyone know what a typical nhl gameday is like?
I recently lost a lot of weight too (37lbs) and feel pretty good. I do not workout to build muscle and only have ice hockey for exercise twice a week in the summer and more during the winter months.

I've found that cardio workouts like hockey are better for me than the muscle gain. I say this mainly because I am big and muscular naturally. Are you a stick type build, like skinny and need the extra muscle?

My losing 37 lbs was enough to get my game going on its own without any muscle building workout stuff.

I don't know how old you are, your size, weight, what league type you play in etc. I'm 40 (41 in July) and am fine where I am and maybe just your losing the weight is enough for you and what you are playing in now?

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:26 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

I just noticed he said he works out every single day. From everything I've read you should work out 5 days and have 2 days off. I believe the general standard is 4 days of weights in the gym with cardio mixed in depending on where you at and 1 day solely devoted to cardio with no weights but I could be wrong.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 05-27-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old
05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Im 21, i weigh 205 now, I was 345-350 when I started losing weight 2 years ago.

Im trying to tighten a lot of skin I have left over. Regaurdless of that, still trying to figure out what the best workout would be before a game

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
maci4life

leave the weights for the days off. I would concentrate on light biking to lube the joints and warms the muscles followed by a nice stretch.

save your energy for the game, and the biking and stretching will hopefully mean no injuries.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Im 21, i weigh 205 now, I was 345-350 when I started losing weight 2 years ago.

Im trying to tighten a lot of skin I have left over. Regaurdless of that, still trying to figure out what the best workout would be before a game
Well firstly nice work on losing that weight and getting in shape.

Seriously it took me a while to lose just 37 lbs and I know how hard it must have been for you so congrats on your efforts paying off in a big way like that.

I think the others have given great answers in here like not working out on gameday. It would seem like overkill since you work out often as it is. It isn't like you are a pro or anything so you are already doing enough from what I read from you.

Nice to see a young man buckle down and take care of business like you have with your weight problem. You didn't take short cuts and did it the right way more importanly. nice job!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:54 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Make sure you don't over do it. Stretching and light cardio on game day is the ticket...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:31 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

I refuse to work out my legs the day of, or day before a game. I usually like blow them out and do not want them to be tired or real sore. Thats really the only thing i adhere to. Made this mistake once, and it was not good. Tried it a second time to see if it was a fluke, and will never do it again.

Light Cardio, but no marathons. I have not had any issues working out other muscle groups on game days. I usually work out during Lunch, so there is a decent amount of time between the gym and beer league games.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:33 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Well, Maurice Richard spent all day moving one day, and scored 5 goals and 3 assists that night, so....

Seriously though, it's not a good idea to do anything heavy. Lifting is a big no-no. Like everyone has been saying, light cardio and stretching is all you should really be doing if you're playing seriously. Beer leagues, do whatever you want, it won't matter that much.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:09 PM
noobman

Quote:

If you want you could try to do some weightlifting *after* your game. You'll be able to gauge your energy levels and ensure that you can lift without overly fatiguing your muscles. It's better than going hard at the gym and then burning out half-way through your hockey game.

On the day before gameday I try to limit myself to biking and bodyweight exercises... or some jogging. On game day I won't do anything more than a light bike ride and stretching b4 hitting the ice, and my focus is more on warming up my muscles than it is on striving for fatigue.

After a game I don't mind expending some of my extra energy on bodyweight exercises, but I wouldn't go benching 200 pounds or anything.

I tried experimenting w/ pregame workouts before. I did a three mile jog (~22 minutes) with 120 pushups, 120 situps, and about 12 pullups (yeah, I have to work on those). Two hours later I hit the ice for some 4 on 4 hockey for an hour. I thought that by training in a non-hockey fashion (relatively low intensity for long durations) I would still be able to bring it come game time. I was only able to skate at about half of my normal intensity and I could only muster up 30-45 second shifts. At high intensity I can usually go anywhere from 45 seconds to 90 seconds, based on how much skating I have to do.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
If you want you could try to do some weightlifting *after* your game. You'll be able to gauge your energy levels and ensure that you can lift without overly fatiguing your muscles. It's better than going hard at the gym and then burning out half-way through your hockey game.

On the day before gameday I try to limit myself to biking and bodyweight exercises... or some jogging. On game day I won't do anything more than a light bike ride and stretching b4 hitting the ice, and my focus is more on warming up my muscles than it is on striving for fatigue.

After a game I don't mind expending some of my extra energy on bodyweight exercises, but I wouldn't go benching 200 pounds or anything.

I tried experimenting w/ pregame workouts before. I did a three mile jog (~22 minutes) with 120 pushups, 120 situps, and about 12 pullups (yeah, I have to work on those). Two hours later I hit the ice for some 4 on 4 hockey for an hour. I thought that by training in a non-hockey fashion (relatively low intensity for long durations) I would still be able to bring it come game time. I was only able to skate at about half of my normal intensity and I could only muster up 30-45 second shifts. At high intensity I can usually go anywhere from 45 seconds to 90 seconds, based on how much skating I have to do.
Dude, you jogged 3 miles before a game? That's a little extreme, it wouldn't take a PHD to tell you your legs will fill up with lactic acid and you won't be able to recover-especially for an an-aerobic sport like hockey. Being able to run long distances has almost nothing to do with being in hockey shape, some people will tell you it's counter productive since you're building long, lean muscle which is not what you need for hockey.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:07 PM
FelixPotvin

Forget the weights on game days. You need your muscles to be at their best when you hit the ice, and if you weight train before the games, your muscles will be in need of repair and they won't be able to perform to your max when you hit the ice.

Remember, when you workout, you tear the muscles, and the growth comes when they repair themselves. You don't want to stress your muscles once in the gym and then take them out and stress them again on the ice.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:19 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPotvin View Post
Forget the weights on game days. You need your muscles to be at their best when you hit the ice, and if you weight train before the games, your muscles will be in need of repair and they won't be able to perform to your max when you hit the ice.

Remember, when you workout, you tear the muscles, and the growth comes when they repair themselves. You don't want to stress your muscles once in the gym and then take them out and stress them again on the ice.
Doesn't seem to bother me at all. Like with any exercise or sport you cannot just make general, sweeping statements saying this should or should not be done. Babe Ruth played baseball drunk and did quite well, would you go back in time and tell him not to drink and party before he played? I suggest people try working out before games if they work out regularly and see how they feel. If you feel and play like crap then try something else, if you feel good then keep on keeping on. I perform at my max when I hit the ice so the quoted post has been proven false.