HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Week of May 24

Old
05-26-2009, 03:22 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah, because there was so much support to keep those teams there . And anyway, the NHL just can't take the Tampa, Florida, Atlanta, and Dallas franchises and uproot them. LOL. Only the owners can decide if they want their franchises to relocate or not. And so far, they have not decided that, so they have every right to keep their franchises where they want. Phoenix is in a bit of a different situation, though, I'll admit.
If my own has to pay your owners bills then my owner SHOULD damned well be able to tell your owner where he can and cannot locate his team. Pay your own bills, get rid of profeit sharing (putting money in a pool and dividing it up amoung teams losing money). If you want to have total say about your franchise ten fine, pay your own bills.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If my own has to pay your owners bills then my owner SHOULD damned well be able to tell your owner where he can and cannot locate his team. Pay your own bills, get rid of profeit sharing (putting money in a pool and dividing it up amoung teams losing money). If you want to have total say about your franchise ten fine, pay your own bills.
NFL has profit sharing. Your little rant there is pretty...stupid.

05-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
I AGREE!!!

Some of these teams losing so much money are the reason the cap is falling. Honestly, this would be like me being a terrible driver, wrecking multiple cars and no longer being able to pay my car insurance and then EXPECTING YOU to pay my insurance and car payment for me so that I can go out joy riding. Would you'r life be any worse off if you didn't have to carry my lack of driving skills any more??? NO!!!
Uhm, no, it's not anything AT ALL like that and that's not the reason the cap is falling.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
NFL has profit sharing. Your little rant there is pretty...stupid.
ya i agree, profit sharing isn't a bad thing, but keep in mind as well NHL does not equal NFL (there are tons of posts on this in the business forum, im not even going into it now)

Either way, regardless of where the team comes from (from the sunbelt or expansion, w/e), the next one should still go to hamilton......If TO can rake in record revenues and increase ticket prices during a massive recession, then I think the GTA can support a second team.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post

Support was never something the Jets lacked. It was just a rough economy, and a weak dollar that hurt them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Tens of thousands of people showed up at the "save the Jets day" in Winnipeg!
200 people showed up for the Coyotes!!!!

In Quebec the government did'nt want to get involved, but the league did'nt do anything like they did'nt for other USA market if i remebered correctly.
Yes, but the fans are not the ones who own the team. Everyone knew the Nords' and Jets owners were going to sell their teams to owners in different cities, and nobody in the community stepped up to buy those teams and keep them there. For 'hockey crazy' cities, there was no people with money that were interested enough in keeping them there. And I've not heard much in the way of anybody from those cities making a serious push to bring back the NHL. The owners of the Panthers, Bolts, Stars, and Thrashers have as of yet not put their teams on the block. They have decided they want to keep their teams right where they are, and that is why they are still there.

Quote:
Sorry, but that's not how the rules work. Every GM signed the same CBA. They knew there was going to be profit sharing. Get mad at your own owner, not ours.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

It's a shame the NHL can't secure more quality ownership groups, as I see that as the main driver in the lack of success on and off the ice in many of these struggling markets.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 09:44 PM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
It's a shame the NHL can't secure more quality ownership groups, as I see that as the main driver in the lack of success on and off the ice in many of these struggling markets.
It's a shame the NHL can't attract more fans who in turn attend games and buy craploads of merchandise and subsequently give the owners a profit. Maybe then the sport would attract quality ownership groups.

There's a reason why there's a lack of quality ownership groups in the NHL. There's also a reason why these quality ownership groups became quality ownership groups in the first place... they didn't invest in projects such as owning a southern USA ice hockey team that lost them millions of dollars a year because there just isn't enough support to keep it afloat...

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:07 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

Something's gotta give with the financial condition of this league.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackleg Jack View Post
It's a shame the NHL can't attract more fans who in turn attend games and buy craploads of merchandise and subsequently give the owners a profit. Maybe then the sport would attract quality ownership groups.

There's a reason why there's a lack of quality ownership groups in the NHL. There's also a reason why these quality ownership groups became quality ownership groups in the first place... they didn't invest in projects such as owning a southern USA ice hockey team that lost them millions of dollars a year because there just isn't enough support to keep it afloat...
How's about ya know what you're talking about before you sound off? Plenty of people here love hockey, but (for the umpteenth time, but since most of you would rather go off your biased opinions instead of research a bit more since almost none of you have been here), people down here don't spend their money on a team that won't win. I've seen plenty of Canadian fans say that their franchise's fanbase would "never allow such a culture of losing." Funny thing is, those teams haven't won the Cup in almost 2 decades. The biggest difference is that you'll still shell out money to go see your favorite team. Nothing wrong with that, but that's not how some fanbases are. They speak with their wallets.

Florida's "problem," isn't a lack of interest, the proof is there in 96 in the Finals run and further ahead to this past season when the Panthers were on the verge of finally making the playoffs. People came to watch a competitive team, that's what they want. The biggest part of the problem was a terribly impatient owner who allowed there to be a revolving door (sometimes allowing people in twice) at the GM, coach, and player positions.

Further proof is with the Heat and the Marlins. Those two teams win, people go, they lose, people don't. Say what you want, but they speak with the loudest tool out there.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote