HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl-atl-phi

Old
05-26-2009, 10:40 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
The new deal makes a little more sense, as it would allow the Flyers either to A) select a good prospect AND a goalie in the mid-to-late 1st round; or B) trade the two 1sts and get into the top 10 in a very good draft. However, it would make more sense to clear out dead weight than it would be to deal Briere and JVR. We'd still have Lupul and Jones on our payroll, and that is no good. Even if we traded Lupul+ for Harding and waived Jones, we'd have several roster spots to fill. Conversely, if we keep those guys, we'd have no cap space to do anything.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:57 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
The new deal makes a little more sense, as it would allow the Flyers either to A) select a good prospect AND a goalie in the mid-to-late 1st round; or B) trade the two 1sts and get into the top 10 in a very good draft. However, it would make more sense to clear out dead weight than it would be to deal Briere and JVR. We'd still have Lupul and Jones on our payroll, and that is no good. Even if we traded Lupul+ for Harding and waived Jones, we'd have several roster spots to fill. Conversely, if we keep those guys, we'd have no cap space to do anything.
you could still make a deal sending Lupul out for a physical dman that cuts cap space.

I'd do the new deal from a Flyers perspective

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 03:04 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
you could still make a deal sending Lupul out for a physical dman that cuts cap space.

I'd do the new deal from a Flyers perspective
Sure you could. Hell, you could conceivably take Lupul, one of those 1sts, and something else and go for Pronger. Could you imagine?

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
UFA-Higgins-Nodl
Carcillo-Powe-Asham
Cote

Timonen-Pronger
Carle-Parent
Sbisa-Coburn
Alberts/UFA

Lehtonen
Backlund

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs0492 View Post
Montreal Gets
4th overall
45th overall

Montreal Gives
Higgins
Halak
O'Byrne
Fisher
18th overall
I wouldn't give up all that to move up to #4. Higgins is a solid player and I could guesstimate that it would be basically 50/50 odds whether Kane or Schenn or MPS or whoever you're taking with the #4 pick ever become substantially better than him. We'll also probably get a decent chance at another Higgins-esque calibre player at #18. Halak, O'Byrne, and Fischer are probably not greatly valued by other organizations, but they do still have some value to us as well.

I would pass on the trade, and pass on the idea of moving up in the draft in general. Our team isn't good enough yet and our depth and young players haven't established their value to other teams firmly enough yet that we would be in a position to make such a deal, even if we wanted to.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:55 PM
phlocky

While this trade might seem like a good idea, I see 3 major flaws in it. First, Atlanta already has 3 goalies on their roster and that is why they are looking to deal one of Lehtonen or Pavelec, they would really have no need for someone like Halak. Oh I know they could then deal him for something else but why should THEY be the ones expected to make another trade when they could just replace Halak with whatever they think they could get for him by smething else in the trade and leave the future trading of Halak to the Habs? Second, although they do not run at the league cap limit, Atlanta has a self imposed cap limit that really prohibits them from taking on a contract like Briere's. Third, Atlanta isn't giving up the 4th pick overall, not even for everything they are being offered in this proposal.

If, and this is a big IF, Briere were to waive his NMC then I think a more realisitc deal would be something centered Briere for Halak with a swapping of picks/prospects to even it out would make the most sense.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote