HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

If the NHL is so healthy...

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2004, 02:21 PM
OpinionatedMike

vCash: 500
If the NHL is so healthy...

Why don't the NHLPA buy an NHL team...Heck the Thrashers were available for only a few million. (reports are 20-50)

Then the NHLPA can run a team the right way, or do they NOT do this, because right now the NHL is a bad investment.

Old
10-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Why don't the NHLPA buy an NHL team...Heck the Thrashers were available for only a few million. (reports are 20-50)

Then the NHLPA can run a team the right way, or do they NOT do this, because right now the NHL is a bad investment.
welcome to the dark side my friend... hehehe

Old
10-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Heck the Thrashers were available for only a few million. (reports are 20-50)
I don't recall it being that cheap, but the Thrashers were sold in conjuction with the Hawks and Philips Arena... it was an all or nothing deal.

Old
10-02-2004, 08:09 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I don't recall it being that cheap, but the Thrashers were sold in conjuction with the Hawks and Philips Arena... it was an all or nothing deal.
It was all or nothing. AOL/TW needed to dump what they deemed "non-core" assets to help with their massive debt. I've had issue with some of the numbers that Forbes comes up with from time to time (not just regarding sports teams), but the valuation of a franchise is a best guess estimate given the information that they have, which is quite extensive. It's always different when it actually come to selling that team to someone.

The quoted price was $204M for the Hawks and $134M for the Thrashers, add in the operating rights for Philips Arena. The $250M deal reached for this package makes it look as though the Thrashers were acquired cheaply. But you're right, that wasn't really the case. The valuations were based on paper, for the most part. Not truly indicitative of the value given AOL's situation and the market conditions at the time.

But again, this is part of the problem we have on this particular board. Too many people are of the mindset "a+b=c". Linear thinking if you will. I haven't been in the game for that many years, but I never remember it working anything like that.

Old
10-02-2004, 09:14 PM
shveik

Do the words "conflict of interest" mean anything to you? The NHL had to give Mario special permission to play for his team, can you imagine when all the players in the league have financial stake in success of one of its teams?

Old
10-03-2004, 11:31 AM
mr gib

Quote:

pro owner doods just don't get it

Old
10-03-2004, 01:58 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
pro owner doods just don't get it
And I guess you don't get the fact that the "us vs. them" mentality actually has nothing to do with the issue we're discussing. Some people get it in their head that blame must be given and that we should choose sides, believing too much of what you read in the media I suppose. All that does in reality is lead to biased comments, ones that hold no validity whatsoever.

But it's always in one ear, out the other. Seems that way at least.

Old
10-03-2004, 02:09 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw7
And I guess you don't get the fact that the "us vs. them" mentality actually has nothing to do with the issue we're discussing. Some people get it in their head that blame must be given and that we should choose sides, believing too much of what you read in the media I suppose. All that does in reality is lead to biased comments, ones that hold no validity whatsoever.

But it's always in one ear, out the other. Seems that way at least.
oh yeah - thrasher fan - here in vancouver we have access to the players - personally i don't read the paper - what was the discussion? - nhlpa buying a team - sad state of the game - blurbing out numbers that you read in the media released by the - owner's - p u -

incidentally gretz in phoenix - a player - was gonna turn a 15 mil profit this year -

Old
10-04-2004, 12:15 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
oh yeah - thrasher fan - here in vancouver we have access to the players - personally i don't read the paper - what was the discussion? - nhlpa buying a team - sad state of the game - blurbing out numbers that you read in the media released by the - owner's - p u -

incidentally gretz in phoenix - a player - was gonna turn a 15 mil profit this year -
#99 said in an interview, that the Yotes lost alot of money in the last couple of years...

Old
10-04-2004, 12:35 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
#99 said in an interview, that the Yotes lost alot of money in the last couple of years...
cause of the building - now that they own all the revenue streams this year there was a projected 15 mill profit - look at who they signed -

Old
10-04-2004, 12:40 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:

Not that it's actually germane to the topic, but I am a Thrasher fan. Been a die-hard fan since I was a little kid, and a six-year old kid that had to watch one team move away in '79 and not understand why. So I went two decades rooting for other teams hundreds of miles, but you know that doesn't compare to your home-town team. One you can actually connect with. But finally a 20 year wish was granted when the Thrashers came to town.

That's the emotional side, one which makes me appreciate this sport more than those who have been around it all their lives. They may take it for granted at times, I certainly never will. The business side can see that yes, the expansion was too fast. But it is in the "non-traditional" markets where it will grow if given time. Too many people think that growth should happen in a handful of years, when it takes close to a generation in reality. Given time, the NHL will reap the benefits of the extra exposure. (I like going off on tangents as well, I'm just a bit more long-winded).

Just part of why I post what I do. Probably won't make any difference and from the look of it, somewhat confusingly off-topic. But what the hell.

Old
10-04-2004, 12:47 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw7
Not that it's actually germane to the topic, but I am a Thrasher fan. Been a die-hard fan since I was a little kid, and a six-year old kid that had to watch one team move away in '79 and not understand why. So I went two decades rooting for other teams hundreds of miles, but you know that doesn't compare to your home-town team. One you can actually connect with. But finally a 20 year wish was granted when the Thrashers came to town.

That's the emotional side, one which makes me appreciate this sport more than those who have been around it all their lives. They may take it for granted at times, I certainly never will. The business side can see that yes, the expansion was too fast. But it is in the "non-traditional" markets where it will grow if given time. Too many people think that growth should happen in a handful of years, when it takes close to a generation in reality. Given time, the NHL will reap the benefits of the extra exposure. (I like going off on tangents as well, I'm just a bit more long-winded).

Just part of why I post what I do. Probably won't make any difference and from the look of it, somewhat confusingly off-topic. But what the hell.
- i feel for ya bra - i admire you for your passion - it's our religon up here -

cheers - i hope it all ends soon -

Closed Thread