HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Russian media: Habs Offer Contract & Captaincy To Kovalev. Koivu no longer in plans

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2009, 10:51 AM
The Pucks

vCash: 500
The only part that makes sense would be the they will sign EITHER Kovalev or Koivu, I dont see any way they want that inroom conflict this season, one or the other, not both.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was confirmed by Yvon Pednault that this rumour from Russia has no link with russian correspondants working with and around the Canadiens.

So really, no one knows where this originated from and how this was put together.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
8BostonRocker24

If Montreal feels like they need to go in a different direction, that makes sense to not bring Koivu back... but if you're going in 'a new direction' or you want to change the team culture, don't bring back the #2 guy...

For that reason I believe this is a load of dung.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
A Russian sports newspaper reports
Could be true but should wait for the facts.

The Radulov fiasco went through various drafts in the Russian rags.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Uhh can we change the title? TSN isn't "reporting" this, they're parroting a Russian newspaper that we're supposed to believe knows more about the Canadiens' off-season plans than any of the zillion journalists that are actually in Montreal.

Frankly I'm surprised TSN is even picking this up.

Edit: nvm, title was changed

Old
05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

The discuted salary isn't that out of line. People forget that it is only for one year. If this limitation is important for Gainey, then Kovalev is perfectly justified in asking for a little more in these circumstances.

Also, is this salary including performance bonus or not?

As for Koivu not being signed, maybe it's true but I find this pretty surprising. The habs don't have good depth at center AT ALL, and nobody to really replace him. And knowing how we tend to fare come UFA time, I don't see Gainey going that route.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Mod: I changed the thread title. TSN is reporting that the Russian media is reporting this; as it stood, it appeared that this was a TSN report (and thus confirmation), which it is not at this point.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:58 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Everyone seems to forget that Koivu's hockey ability has deteriorated greatly.

How can your captain be your physically weakest player? At least Kovy has his amazing shot/stick-skills, Koivu can barely pick up a pass.

He's a 3rd line center, so if he signs for 2.5-3.5 I'm happy. Even 3.75 I'm okay. Anything more is a waste of cap space.

Remember we haven't won JACK since his capitancy. Gone through 3 GMs, 5 Coaches and almost 100% turnover in the playing roster. At SOME fkn point the onus falls on the only remaining variable.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:59 AM
embracedbias

I'll believe it when I see it. Giving Kovalev a raise and making him captain does not make much sense to me...

Old
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Giving Kovalev a raise and making him captain does not make much sense to me...
6-7m one year as opposed to 5m/2years

It's a much better deal for us

edit

And Gainey always looks at the good of the team not the player. Maybe you guys should as well.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
The discuted salary isn't that out of line. People forget that it is only for one year. If this limitation is important for Gainey, then Kovalev is perfectly justified in asking for a little more in these circumstances.

Also, is this salary including performance bonus or not?

As for Koivu not being signed, maybe it's true but I find this pretty surprising. The habs don't have good depth at center AT ALL, and nobody to really replace him. And knowing how we tend to fare come UFA time, I don't see Gainey going that route.
I'm quoting you because you started a good point. People say that the Habs are weak at center and then go on to say that Koivu just leave the team. Mostly ignorant fans say that, because having watched 95% of the games this season, I know (and you can verify by looking at the score sheet), Koivu is probably our most consistent forward (PPG wise, I think he's between Tanguay and Kovalev). So yes, he is our best center, but he is also one of our most consistent players.

If you've seen the Habs play this season, you know that consistency is something that many of our players are lacking. You'd also know that when Kovalev wasn't putting up the goals, Koivu was always crashing the net. We have no player that will go to the net like Koivu does. He's also one of the reasons why our powerplay CAN be successful, he cycles the puck well in front and behind the net.

If we let him leave, we MUST make sure we have someone who can do the things I just mentionned, or else we'll be spending alot of time in the bottom of the barrel called the Eastern Conference.

Seriously, I'm pissed... before Markov and Schneider got hurt, I could've sworn we had a real team playing like we thought in the beginning of the season. What an awful time... this team never got to play like a team due to injuries.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:01 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
How can your captain be your physically weakest player?
How can your captain be the laziest player on the ice?

Old
05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Remember we haven't won JACK since his capitancy. Gone through 3 GMs, 5 Coaches and almost 100% turnover in the playing roster. At SOME fkn point the onus falls on the only remaining variable.
Which explains the dominance the Habs displayed while Saku was fighting cancer. Oh wait, that didn't happen.

Maybe it's the fans who need the blame for Montreal not being able to sign free agents?

Old
05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
What the Canadiens need is a Canadian Captain. Havnt they gone through enough losing with a Euro wearing the C there?
Koivu's been a great captain... his time may be up and it may be time for the organization to move forward without him, but blaming Koivu's captaincy on anything is ridiculous..

of course, I should keep in mind who posted it - since we've heard all the anti-European crap from you already on the Canucks board.

But this is just another example of how irrelevant all that is... Koivu is the type of captain most teams would love to have... the guy is all class, great work ethic and the type of person that anyone would follow.... age has definitely caught up with him, especially considering what he had to come back from to play the game again.

again, your usual crap, discrediting Koivu or blaming him for any lack of success because he's Euro. There are many Canadian players that will never have the heart and leadership abilities that Koivu has.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
TSN must be really desperate for some news if they pick up a shady Russian online publication as their sole source.
My thoughts exactly. If they want to pick up a bunch of ridiculous-sounding speculations, they wouldn't have to go quite that far to find some, we have lots right here on the Habs board! Come and get it, TSN!

Old
05-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Koivu's been a great captain... his time may be up and it may be time for the organization to move forward without him, but blaming Koivu's captaincy on anything is ridiculous..

of course, I should keep in mind who posted it - since we've heard all the anti-European crap from you already on the Canucks board.

But this is just another example of how irrelevant all that is... Koivu is the type of captain most teams would love to have... the guy is all class, great work ethic and the type of person that anyone would follow.... age has definitely caught up with him, especially considering what he had to come back from to play the game again.

again, your usual crap, discrediting Koivu or blaming him for any lack of success because he's Euro. There are many Canadian players that will never have the heart and leadership abilities that Koivu has.
If a Canucks fan can say this, one who had to endure all the Habs fan talking **** about Sundin and Vancouver, I feel somewhat better. Atleast not everybody is buying into the Koivu defamation.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Agree 100%. This is the guy who the GM sent home, during a stretch play-off drive, and asked him to think if he wanted to keep playing hockey. Sounds like the perfect guy to make your team captain.

Nothing against Russian newspapers, but if I'm TSN I'm not running a story with that as the sole support.
first of all, it wasn't down the stretch. Down the stretch Kovalev was probably the best player in the nhl. Second of all, it wasn't so he could decide if he still wanted to play hockey, it was so he could refresh himself.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
My thoughts exactly. If they want to pick up a bunch of ridiculous-sounding speculations, they wouldn't have to go quite that far to find some, we have lots right here on the Habs board! Come and get it, TSN!
I think the only reason TSN picked this up was because Sportsnet and The Score did and they didn't want to lose hits/ratings.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
first of all, it wasn't down the stretch. Down the stretch Kovalev was probably the best player in the nhl. Second of all, it wasn't so he could decide if he still wanted to play hockey, it was so he could refresh himself.
Kovalev was trying TOO hard to make plays and didn't trust Carbo's strategies. Non-fans seem to forget all of that

Old
05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
How can your captain be your physically weakest player? At least Kovy has his amazing shot/stick-skills, Koivu can barely pick up a pass.
Did you even watch the playoffs? Koivu was our most physical forward and I say that with no hyperbole whatsoever. He was the only player on the ice who didn't look scared to actually try and hit Chara. Aside from maybe Laraque.

Quote:
Yeah have you taken a look at those rosters? I encourage you to do so. The only year we had a competent team that could have done some damage in the playoffs was 07-08, and Koivu had 9 points in 7 games...and certainly wasn't to be blamed for the loss against the Flyers.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Go Habs Go

If this is true that means that the Habs already have a replacement center in mind to sign or a trade already setup. They're not just going to throw out their captain and one of their few centers before they have a plan in place. The Habs have nobody else within the organization to replace Koivu other then Ben Maxwell and he's not ready at all and possibly never will be.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
If a Canucks fan can say this, one who had to endure all the Habs fan talking **** about Sundin and Vancouver, I feel somewhat better. Atleast not everybody is buying into the Koivu defamation.
don't get me wrong... I'm no fan of the Habs - especially after all the insults we took this season...

but I also find it completely ignorant - not to mention racist - to suggest that a player isn't as good as another because of where they come from... talk like that seriously pisses me off!!! the poster I was replying to has made a lot of such posts over on the Canucks board, and it's spilling out here now.

I would hope that there aren't many people around that still have such stereotypes - especially after seeing what many would agree is the most successful franchise in the league made up of 70% European players, led by a Euro captain, and 8 of their top 9 players and half their defense all European!!

I instead choose to credit these guys for what they are - good hockey players, not Euro hockey players!! And Koivu is the same IMO - although admittedly he's well past his prime and no doubt age has caught up on him (even though he's not that old, but again that cancer must have taken some productive years out of his life).

Bottom line is that he should be respected for the player AND person he was... the problems Montreal has had aren't due to him being captain, and even suggesting as much, IMO, is a slap to the face of a great individual who deserves so much more respect from the organization and the fans.

Nothing wrong with a player seeing the end of their days with a team... happens to all players eventually... but I'd hope that he'd be remembered for the great things he brought to not only the Habs but the game of hockey, especially his truly inspirational comeback... and not for being a Euro captain that couldn't make it in Montreal!

Old
05-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
What the Canadiens need is a Canadian Captain. Havnt they gone through enough losing with a Euro wearing the C there?
Yeah, the Wings and Caps are such hurting franchises for having Euro captains

Old
05-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
It was the last month of the season when the Habs were in bombing. That's my definition of "down the stretch". Can anyone tell me when a key player was asked not to play or travel with the team?

Maybe I'm wrong in remembering Gainey being quoted as saying that Kovelev needs to decide if he still wants to play hockey?

EDIT: And don't get me wrong - I consider myself a Kovalev fan. I just can't think of a less likely player to be a captain of a successful team.

Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 05-27-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old
05-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Yeah, the Wings and Caps are such hurting franchises for having Euro captains
While I don't disagree with your main point (no need to even discuss this ridiculous ideology), Chris Clark is the Caps captain, and he is from USA.

Closed Thread