HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers coach

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2009, 09:48 PM
peteo

vCash: 500
Flyers coach

Keenan or Stevens who has more value. My vote is for Keenan.

Old
05-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I would waive them both, but if I had to play one, I'm thinking Stevens.

Old
05-26-2009, 09:54 PM
BOUNCE

I'd laugh if it was MacT

Old
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM
ELab2

they aren't firing Stevens and I have no interest in Keenan

Old
05-27-2009, 05:46 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Stevens seems like a smart enough guy to me when I see him not doing post-game interviews. Perhaps he will self-evaluate this off-season and also have Holmgren in his ear. He could be a good coach if he just got a little tougher.

Old
05-27-2009, 05:53 AM
TheHMan

I hear a lot about Stevens wanting to play a more passive system and do a bit more trapping. It might not work the best in the new NHL, but something tells me his confidence in his goaltender might have something to do with it.

Get Stevens a quality puck stopper and then maybe he can tinker with things a bit more and open up his system a bit more.

Old
05-27-2009, 05:56 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
This is a silly example of why some of us despise the VALUE of threads

Old
05-27-2009, 06:26 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Stevens seems like a smart enough guy to me when I see him not doing post-game interviews. Perhaps he will self-evaluate this off-season and also have Holmgren in his ear. He could be a good coach if he just got a little tougher.
I think he's a pretty quality coach. One of his problems seems to be his calm demeanor. Sometimes a coach needs to get in guys ears, particularly when you don't have players that do it. The Flyers this year didn't seem to have a player like that although Richards seemed to start coming around late. A combination of Richards increasing his vocal leadership and Stevens getting more will to get angry could be a great thing for this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
I hear a lot about Stevens wanting to play a more passive system and do a bit more trapping. It might not work the best in the new NHL, but something tells me his confidence in his goaltender might have something to do with it.

Get Stevens a quality puck stopper and then maybe he can tinker with things a bit more and open up his system a bit more.
Actually one of Stevens problem is the defensive "system" he puts out there. In the zone he seems to play a system where the defense focuses on only one half of the ice (where the puck carrier is). This helps them keep the puck to the outside and forces the other team to take a lot of bad shots but it leaves the back door nearly wide open. With a more responsive defense and a more athletic, less position oriented, goaltender this would be a lot more effective than it currently is.

Old
05-27-2009, 12:40 PM
phlocky

Stevens is a freaking idio who doesn't know how to bring out the best attributes of his players. He's good with young players but he gets out coached every single game. The Flyers actually win IN SPITE of Stevens' "coaching". The "cherry picking" and abandoning of te defensive zone before we actually get the puck out because we are looking for the homerun pass would NEVER have been tolerated by Freddie Shero. HE would have benched those players *****. I'll give you an example of how blind most people are to just how bad Stevens is, Mike Richards was a finalist for the Selke Award for best defensive forward largely because of his short handed goals he scores. On the PK Richards often floats between the 2 point men looking to pick off a point-to-point pass and go in on a breakaway. However, because he's looking to score himself as opposed to shut down the other teams PP, he too often can't cover his responsibilities of the pojnt men. This places a much larger burdon on Simon Gagne to pick up that slack. IMO Gagne is STILL a better defensive forward than Richards he that HE should have been named to the award and not Richards. Stevens lets this kind of play persist (Briere is the worst for floating around the blue line and not playing defense in his own zone). The players should be held more accountable for their play in the defensive zone and then we wouldn't have such a burdon placed on our dmen and goalies.

Keenen may be an ******* but at least he's a smart coach. I won't call him good because I don't think he can relate to players but at least he does hold them accountable and they actually play better hockey. He is an intollerant jerk most of the time and he'd rather get rid of all his young players because he doesn't have the patience to let them learn and make some mistakes along te way. Players have to play EXACTLY the way he envisions it or else they are in his dog house and out of there. He's not an option either.

Honestly, I'd rather have MacT, that should tell you everything you need to know about how I feel about both Stevens and Keenen.

Old
05-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

To Philly:
Alain Vigeneault

To the Canucks:
John Stevens

(e4)

Old
05-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Scouter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I believe he is referring to when Keenan coached the Flyers. As for my vote it would easily be Stevens as Keenan has little to no value these days, he's way old school.

Old
05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post
Keenan or Stevens who has more value. My vote is for Keenan.
ehh, I'm only 23 so it's hard for me to judge Keenan but I'd take Stevens. He's had more success with this team then Keenan has had with the Flames, who arguably are a better team on paper then the Flyers.

Stevens > Keenan

What if Tocchet was coaching Hartnell and Carcillo for the Flyers...that'd be crazy!

Old
05-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Wrong board.