HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto Maple Leafs - New Jersey Devils

Old
05-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

vCash: 500
Toronto Maple Leafs - New Jersey Devils

1st '09
2nd '09
Patrice Cormier

Tomas Kaberle

The need for that puck moving defenseman is evident in New Jersey. Andy Greene was thought to take over that duty but hasnt really clicked in New Jersey, IMO. This gives them a legit top 2 puck mover, to play alongside Martin. Martin, remember, isnt known for his offense but has it in him. With a good offensive defenseman, Martin's numbers are sure to go up.

Toronto gets a 1st + 2nd and a prospect, all of which can be used to move up in the draft, or add depth to the farm. Huge fan of Patrice Cormier, who can be Toronto's checking line C one day, and provide offense as well.

05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Bad time to be asking for Cormier after the Mem Cup lol. Devils fans are on a Cormier high (if they weren't before).

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Mirror

I think it's fair but then again I'm a leafs fan . I'm not sure the leafs want Cormier though since we already have more than enough 2nd and 3rd liners on the team and in the farm.

Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:54 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Salary needs to be going back to Toronto if I would even think about saying "yes" or "no" to this.

Which means that you would have to take Salvador or Pandolfo with you.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:59 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

I would think Bergfors is more available than Cormier from New Jersey.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Salary needs to be going back to Toronto if I would even think about saying "yes" or "no" to this.

take both

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Tombernack

I'd be fine with this deal even without the prospect being added. The 2 picks is enough to keep me satisfied.

I'd be willing to eat bad salary if the prospect gets added.

Just strip the team down, Burkie. I can endure another horrific year or two if it means we get a core like CHI has (built over 4+ years).

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
I'd be fine with this deal even without the prospect being added. The 2 picks is enough to keep me satisfied.

Just strip the team down, Burkie. I can endure another horrific year or two if it means we get a core like CHI has (built over 4+ years).
Issue is with the two bad contracts that were mentioned earlier both go past the 10/11 free agent period and salary cap decrease, which decreases the possibility of that happening.

With that said, the OP is lop sided for TO IMO. I agree that a first and second would be all we could get.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Inigo Montoya

1st '09
2nd '09
Patrice Cormier
Jay Pandolfo

Tomas Kaberle

?

Inigo Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:27 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post

1st '09
2nd '09
Patrice Cormier

Tomas Kaberle

The need for that puck moving defenseman is evident in New Jersey. Andy Greene was thought to take over that duty but hasnt really clicked in New Jersey, IMO. This gives them a legit top 2 puck mover, to play alongside Martin. Martin, remember, isnt known for his offense but has it in him. With a good offensive defenseman, Martin's numbers are sure to go up.

Toronto gets a 1st + 2nd and a prospect, all of which can be used to move up in the draft, or add depth to the farm. Huge fan of Patrice Cormier, who can be Toronto's checking line C one day, and provide offense as well.
IINM, something along this line was talked about at this past trade deadline. Given the Devils' organizational pool rating (according to HF) appears to be worse than the Leafs right now, the Devils may not want to do any trades at all. Mind you, I would be quite happy with what you have proposed here, but somehow I don't think that Devils' fans would.

Perhaps if Cormier was subbed out for Bergfors or Tedenby your proposal might gain more support from both sides.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: I think TML Rebuild has a good addition with Pandolfo. I don't think Pandolfo's contract is too much for the Leafs to bear despite its term. If taking Pandolfo is what it takes to get this done, then so be it.

Last edited by EucaLEAFtys: 05-27-2009 at 02:36 PM.
EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:44 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post

Agreed, 100%.

The Leafs can't afford to continue doing things half-assed anymore if they want to become perennial Stanley Cup contenders (but it will take time and lots of it).

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:50 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

it would be nice to get a counter from a NJ fan. I'd be fine leaving out the second and taking salary. Although IMO it would need to be a forward. We simply have too many dmen as it is.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Take the second out....
Sub Cormier for Henrique
add a higher paid roster player, which can be considered a salary dump...i would be alright with that

TOR
1st
Henrique
(salary dump roster player)

NJ
Kaberle

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
it would be nice to get a counter from a NJ fan. I'd be fine leaving out the second and taking salary. Although IMO it would need to be a forward. We simply have too many dmen as it is.
10 1st
09 2nd
Pandolfo/Salvador
Prospect

for

Kaberle
10 2nd

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:04 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

3rd, Clarkson (toronto is his hometown)

for

Kubina

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

This isn't a good time for trade talks involving Cormier. You'd be much more likely to strike a deal involving either of the Swedes.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
seanlinden

That kind of package is definitely not what the leafs are looking for in a trade for Kaberle. However, it might be getting close to a workable deal simply because of the value.

You've got the 24th overall, a late 2nd round pick, and a 2nd line prospect, therefore of little value to the leafs. While that is a lot of value coming to Toronto; none are actually assets that can help us. 24th overall (even if you use the 2nd rounder to jump up into the 15-20 range) will only yield a guy that projects to be 2nd line. Patrice Cormier only projects to be 2nd line. The leafs are loaded with guys that project to be 2nd line..... Grabovski, Kulemin, Tlusty, Hanson, Bozak, Stalberg, Stefanovich..... not to mention a couple of very solid veterans in Ponikarovsky and Hagman.

From a Devils perspective, I don't think they can afford to do this. Like I mentioned in another thread, their cupboard is VERY bare, and they don't have a lot of young players in the lineup. They really aren't in a position to be trading for high end players. They've gotta acquire assets through free agency and hang onto their picks.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
10 1st
09 2nd
Pandolfo/Salvador
Prospect

for

Kaberle
10 2nd
Look at it this way, our 2nd next year is almost definately going to be higher than your 2nd this year. Seeing as its a year in advance lets just say the 2nds cancel out.

We get a late 1st next year + prospect + salary

for

Kaberle

This is just not good, not good at all

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
The Devils are not in a position to trade picks or prospects. The stockpile isn't as light as some people make it out to be, however it's still far from adequate.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
The Devils have two major problems in making this deal.

The first is we have a severe shortage of NHL centers. We have Zajac as the only real top-6 center we have. We have Pelley as the only real bottom-6 center we have. We have Elias, Rolston, and Zubrus who can play center in a pinch... but aren't too good at it.

The second is we have a severe shortage of NHL center prospects. We have Cormier as our top center prospect, Henrique as the #2, and David Wohlberg as the #3.

We need a defenseman, sure. But I have a hard time seeing the Devils sacrificing center depth to make it happen.

Our prospect depth at other positions is considerably better - the cupboard is far from "bare" as many people try to argue - but at center, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. The prospects are all quality, but there are no first line centers in the bunch and there aren't many of them.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:29 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post

for

Kubina
no thanks. Most leafs fans are hoping we will get a 1st if Kubina is traded. Not much else though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
This isn't a good time for trade talks involving Cormier. You'd be much more likely to strike a deal involving either of the Swedes.
If you mean Tedenby, I'd be okay with that. He's certainly no sure thing, but I like his potential a little more myself.

The Naz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post

for

Kubina
no thanks. Most leafs fans are hoping we will get a 1st if Kubina is traded. Not much else though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
If you mean Tedenby, I'd be okay with that. He's certainly no sure thing, but I like his potential a little more myself.

The Naz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:31 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:

Done.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Acekicker123

To New Jersey:

Pavel Kubina
Jamal Mayers

To Toronto:

David Clarkson
2nd round pick

Thoughts?

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

While Cormier is a great character guy, I doubt this is the kind of trade Burke is looking for in regards to Kaberle. I mean, a very late 1st, a very late 2nd and a guy that could become a decent 2nd liner is not going to get BB to give up Kaberle (Insert "Well you can keep him then" comments).

NJ Probably can't afford to trade their pick, because honestly, they have no blue chippers in site.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote