HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Massive Drug Bust in Lakeland - NHL Mentioned

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Untamable

vCash: 500
Massive Drug Bust in Lakeland - NHL Mentioned

Quote:
It took three sets of handcuffs for Polk County narcotics detectives to arrest a former bodybuilder from Lakeland in the largest anabolic steroids bust in Polk County's history, according to Polk Sheriff Grady Judd.

Richard Thomas, 35, said he is the largest anabolic steroids dealer in Central Florida, providing the illegal muscle-building hormones to professional baseball, football and hockey athletes, authorities said.
http://www.theledger.com/article/200...-Steroids-Bust

Quote:
At a Tuesday night press conference announcing the arrest of the pair, Polk County Sheriff's officials were surrounded by thousands of doses of anabolic steroids.

What investigators aren't sure of is whether Richard Thomas, 35, is telling the truth when he says he is the biggest steroid provider in Central Florida and that he sold mostly to professional athletes, including those on the Washington Capitals hockey team and Washington Nationals baseball team.
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/may...news-breaking/

Last edited by Untamable: 05-27-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old
05-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Maria

wow, our players better not be involved in any of that

Old
05-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Tokala

At least it didn't indicate the Lightning had players involved.

Honestly, what is it with Polk County?

Old
05-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post

They werent named specifically, but Grady Judd was on the radio this morning doing an interview and he made it very clear that Washington wasnt the only team going to be named. He said the investigations are just starting but that the man arrested is naming several teams from several sports in all areas.

Old
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post

hopefully it remains that way.

The whole state of Florida is full of crazy people

Old
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
We better not be involved because if the 2008-2009 Lightning play that bad roided up I would hate to see how bad they are off the juice.

Old
05-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
We better not be involved because if the 2008-2009 Lightning play that bad roided up I would hate to see how bad they are off the juice.

My first thought was the Rays.

Old
05-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Untamable

Quote:
"While he stated to detectives that he sold steroids to professional athletes on those teams, he did not mention any specific players' names.

"Our detectives, with their supervisors, interviewed and re-interviewed Thomas on these points. We have no evidence other than the statements from this self-proclaimed 'largest steroid dealer in central Florida' that he sold steroids to professional athletes, however, the investigation is ongoing."
Bay News 9

Quote:
"'You name the sport and I've sold it,' he specifically told us that he has sold drugs to pro baseball players, pro football players and pro hockey players," Sheriff Grady Judd said during a news conference.

Investigators said Thomas would not give them any names, and at this point they do not have any corroborating evidence of his claims.
Quote:
Detectives said Thomas told them he would buy the drugs himself in various places around the world including Iran, Pakistan, Russia and China.

"To me that's more frightening than his allegations about professional baseball players," Sheriff Judd said. "How does such things get here from such countries?"

Thomas also told detectives doing drugs and selling drugs is all he's ever known, claiming at one time he was the largest steroid supplier in the state, officials said.
Fox News

Old
05-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Symphony X

Just the fact that this guy and his roids are so close to Tampa Bay is scary. Please no Rays or Bolts!

Old
05-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Untamable

I posted something similar to this on the Caps board...

I think the guy knows he's busted... I mean, there is no getting around the monumental evidence. That's why he's offering the information so freely. Dangling the fact that he's sold to pro athletes in front of the police, in hopes of getting a plea deal to name names.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Ovechkin was a fluke?

Old
05-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Felonious Python
TyJo

I'd love if the dealer started to name hockey players, and he didn't know any of their names.

Sorry, Gretzky doesn't play for the Caps.

On a serious note, it should be PED=no HHOF

Old
05-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Speaking of which, this thread has cory murphy jokes written all over it.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:34 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Speaking of which, this thread has cory murphy jokes written all over it.
Like what "Cory Murphy doesn't take steroids, the steroids take a dose of Cory Murphy."

Yes.... just awful

Old
05-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
Like what "Cory Murphy doesn't take steroids, the steroids take a dose of Cory Murphy."

Yes.... just awful
Someone already went there with Ovey on the Caps board

Old
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 1290
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony X View Post
Just the fact that this guy and his roids are so close to Tampa Bay is scary. Please no Rays or Bolts!

This is exactly what I was thinking... If/when this guy starts naming names...please, don't let any of ours guys be dumb enough to be on that list...

Old
05-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Untamable

Steve Eminger commented on the story...

Quote:
"No, never, not once -- it was never talked about once," Eminger said. "We got tested two-three times a year. Never once -- I don't know, you see guys. Guys aren't extremely ripped or anything."
Eminger Comments On Drug Bust

Old
05-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Untamable

Eric Fehr Comments

Quote:
"I can honestly say I never heard or seen anything about steroids in our dressing room," Fehr said. "That's the first I've ever heard of it."

"Honestly, we have steroid testing -- that would be the stupidest thing in the world to take something. That's not even something I've even thought of thinking with any guys on our team."
Donald Brashear Comments
Quote:
On the fact that there is no drug testing in the NHL during the playoffs and offseason: "That's also true, but was he supplying this year, was it a few years ago, when there was no testing? You know, there's a few things I guess you gotta make sure of, but, to tell you the truth, if there was, I wouldn't know, and there's no kind of [player] I would know that would use steroids. It wouldn't be in their best interest to do it anyway."

On the chance that any of his teammates have used performance-enhancing drugs: "I would really doubt it. I mean, I would really doubt it. I don't know. It's a tough position; it's hard to say, I mean, maybe there is and we don't know the ones that are doing it. They wouldn't necessarily tell us."
They wouldn't necessarily tell us. Exactly. No one is going to say "Yep, I bought roids off of him. I've been doing them for years. Thanks for asking."

Old
05-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Untamable

Brooks Laich - NHL Players' Association rep for the Caps Comments

Quote:
Q: Do you have any idea what the suspect in the steroids case is talking about?
A: I have no idea. As far we know it's just speculation. The guy didn't say if it was 10 years ago that he sold to the Capitals. Whether it was five ago that he sold. We have no idea. I've already been in touch with all of our players, and there's nothing on our side to report.
Quote:
Q: You said you've been calling each and every one of your teammates. What's been the reaction?
A: I just woke up to a phone call a little while ago [Laich is in Saskatchewan, which is two hours behind]. My phone rang about 8:30 a.m. So I'm trying to catch up on the situation. Guys are surprised. No one knows anything. I feel bad calling guys because you're not implying that someone has done something. But you have to make sure to clean the slate. The general answer has been, 'No, I haven't seen or heard of any of it,' and it would be impossible to get it by our locker room if there was because it's too tight, there's too much stuff going on. You would know if someone was doing it. But no one has seen a trace of it or heard a rumor of it. So we're not worried.

Old
05-27-2009, 01:01 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

This is bad. I guess this will unravel over time. I just hope that we are in no way involved. And for the NHL's sake I hope it's the coaches and not the players who are using.

Old
05-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Untamable

Quote:
Lightning center Jeff Halpern, who played for the Capitals from 1996-2004, said, "I find it hard to believe," any teammates were using.

"Personally, I don't think anybody took them," Halpern said. "I don't remember it being around. I don't know of anybody talking about it. I'm sure in the history of the NHL there have been guys who used it, but on any of the teams I've been on it's never been around or, to my knowledge, been used. I could be completely wrong but that's what I think."
http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/

Quote:
"The Washington Capitals have no knowledge of any aspect of this allegation. Capitals players were subjected to no-notice testing three times in each of the past two seasons pursuant to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and there was no indication of any improper conduct or wrongdoing.

"Even though there are no specifics provided in the story and we have no reason, at this point, to believe the allegations are true, the National Hockey League takes all matters of this nature very seriously and will conduct a prompt investigation."

-- Bill Daly, NHL deputy commissioner
Quote:
"We have no reason to believe there is any merit to this story, but the National Hockey League and the Washington Capitals take all such allegations seriously. Capitals players have fully participated in the NHL's random drug testing program, and at no point has a Capitals player tested positive. In addition our players have been tested at international events, such as World Championships and Olympics. We welcome and will fully cooperate with the NHL's investigation."

-- Dick Patrick, Washington Capitals president
More Cap Comments on Drug Bust Allegations

Old
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
This sucks... but we will see what happens.

Closed Thread