HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Nashville Predators need...?

Old
05-27-2009, 04:01 PM
JL4L

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JL4L
The Nashville Predators need...?

Finish this sentence (in your opinion): The Nashville Predators need...

JL4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Herb Brooks and Mike Eruzione.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Scoring, preferably a gritty, drive the net type. We have guys that can make plays and operate "in the perimeter," but we need that one guy that can play physically, screen the goalie, and score the garbage goals.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Scoring, preferably a gritty, drive the net type. We have guys that can make plays and operate "in the perimeter," but we need that one guy that can play physically, screen the goalie, and score the garbage goals.
yup we need a young Holmstrom

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:38 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
yup we need a young Holmstrom
Who doesn't?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:59 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
...to dump about five 3rd/4th liners and bring in some scoring

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:05 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Sounds like a very good description of Joel Ward.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Sounds like a very good description of Joel Ward.
Or Ryan Jones.

I guess I should have included "proven," since I'm skeptical that Joel Ward is going to have a hard time repeating that performance.

Adam Hall once scored 16 goals for us...

Old
05-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
We need a finesse perimeter player if we don't resign Sully. The go to the net guys we have Jones and Ward and they are good enough, we need someone who actually knows when to shoot the puck on the net and when to pass.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 06:23 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We need all types of offensive players, I just prefer the more phsyical ones.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 08:35 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Alexander Radulov, Steve Sullivan, Joel Ward, Colin Wilson, A line of solid shut down 4th liners, Pihlstrom and Hornwvist to live up to potiential and 5-7 years of youth for Arnott, Dumont, and Sullivan

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 09:41 AM
JR303

Money

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:05 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Or Ryan Jones.

I guess I should have included "proven," since I'm skeptical that Joel Ward is going to have a hard time repeating that performance.
Was thinking the same, but not sure he can fully provide that "immediately"

Agreed on ridding of some of the older 3rd/4th liner players and bringing in someone who can solidly put up offensive numbers

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Jarnberg

Forwards with better puck control

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Forwards with better puck control
Delete "better" and I think we've got it.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
echlfreak

A coach that can adapt to the play while the game is going, a GM with the balls to make a trade to make the team better-not just always play for the future and an owner that can put up some real money so that the team doesn't have to play against other divisional teams that are spending 10M more.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 01:19 AM
dulzhok

To win some playoff rounds, if we have any hope of further growing the game in Nashville.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
Money
bingo.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 04:57 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
be careful what you wish for, Balsilie has money

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 08:39 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/

They got Nashville Picking either Louis Leblanc (Center) or Oliver Ekman-larsson (Defenseman)

Discuss, or is Worst's case, Kavetch.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:23 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/

They got Nashville Picking either Louis Leblanc (Center) or Oliver Ekman-larsson (Defenseman)

Discuss, or is Worst's case, Kavetch.
that would make for a very disappointing draft day.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:12 PM
dulzhok

RE: Money excuse

I don't buy it.

Freeman said the team made 1-2 million last year, but from my understanding, that's BEFORE revenue sharing.

This year, he said the team anticipates losing 1-2 million, but again, I believe that's BEFORE getting the 10 million dollar revenue sharing check. Not to mention, the additional revenue the Predator owners get from other events in the arena.

We averaged over 14K in paid attendance last year. With the 10 million revenue check, I will venture to say that the Preds are bringing in as much money as they ever have. Even when we averaged 17K in the early days, that's a 3K difference. 3,000 people x $70 ticket average x 41 games = $8.6million in revenue.

Revenue sharing was introduced to give EVERYONE a fair chance of fielding a competitive team. With the $10 million revenue sharing check, we are essentially selling out the building each game.

If we insist on being one of the lowest payroll teams year after year, hockey won't succeed in Nashville, because we won't have a sustained chance at being playoff competitive. If we are never playoff competitive, the game won't grow in Nashville, period.

Look at Washington. They start having playoff success, now all the sudden the sell out every game, but they pay for their on-ice talent. Look at Chicago. Had terrible attendance, now they are in the black. Look at Pittsburgh, etc.

Again revenue sharing was introduced so teams could spend equally. So, if Freeman and co insist on being the lowest payroll team year after year, I call foul. Not to mention, NO team will be have sustained success if they consistently spend at or near the salary floor.

I want them to make money (and they ARE making money). But you don't become a pro sports owner for a high ROI. There are better investments out there for a savvy business person.

Just like working in pro sports. It's terrible money for most people. But they do it for the novelty of it, and becuase it's their "passion". If they were in it for the money, they should get aother job. Same applies to most owners. Sure, they should be making money from the huge amount of money they invested. But if they are expecting high returns, they should get another investment.

Spend some money, or we'll never see hockey truly succeed in Nashville.

How to spend the money is a discussion for another time.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
RE: Money excuse

I don't buy it.

Freeman said the team made 1-2 million last year, but from my understanding, that's BEFORE revenue sharing.

This year, he said the team anticipates losing 1-2 million, but again, I believe that's BEFORE getting the 10 million dollar revenue sharing check. Not to mention, the additional revenue the Predator owners get from other events in the arena.

We averaged over 14K in paid attendance last year. With the 10 million revenue check, I will venture to say that the Preds are bringing in as much money as they ever have. Even when we averaged 17K in the early days, that's a 3K difference. 3,000 people x $70 ticket average x 41 games = $8.6million in revenue.

Revenue sharing was introduced to give EVERYONE a fair chance of fielding a competitive team. With the $10 million revenue sharing check, we are essentially selling out the building each game.

If we insist on being one of the lowest payroll teams year after year, hockey won't succeed in Nashville, because we won't have a sustained chance at being playoff competitive. If we are never playoff competitive, the game won't grow in Nashville, period.

Look at Washington. They start having playoff success, now all the sudden the sell out every game, but they pay for their on-ice talent. Look at Chicago. Had terrible attendance, now they are in the black. Look at Pittsburgh, etc.

Again revenue sharing was introduced so teams could spend equally. So, if Freeman and co insist on being the lowest payroll team year after year, I call foul. Not to mention, NO team will be have sustained success if they consistently spend at or near the salary floor.

I want them to make money (and they ARE making money). But you don't become a pro sports owner for a high ROI. There are better investments out there for a savvy business person.

Just like working in pro sports. It's terrible money for most people. But they do it for the novelty of it, and becuase it's their "passion". If they were in it for the money, they should get aother job. Same applies to most owners. Sure, they should be making money from the huge amount of money they invested. But if they are expecting high returns, they should get another investment.

Spend some money, or we'll never see hockey truly succeed in Nashville.

How to spend the money is a discussion for another time.
From what I remember reading, our slight profit was after revenue sharing.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
From what I remember reading, our slight profit was after revenue sharing.
that's correct

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 09:47 AM
JR303

I'm pretty sure all of those #'s you are talking about were after rev sharing. I realize that it's all subjective and whether or not they are "making" money would probably be difficult to pin down. But, it's pretty much across the board believed that we have been walking a budget tightrope since CL left, and I honestly don't think it will get much better for a couple of years.

The funny thing is, the 3 teams you mentioned all have one thing in common. They sucked badly, for a lot longer than we have ever, and they all got to draft major impact players because of it. Crosby was a luck of the draw in Pittsburgh, but that was in addition to drafting Malkin and Fleury. Washington, don't even need to mention that one, and Chicago was terrible enough to land several Grade-A top draft picks for a few years. The other thing that has helped Chicago is that since Wirtz (?) sr. died, they've been putting games on television. Seems to have helped them a good bit.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote