HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tomas Holmström

Old
05-26-2009, 01:38 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
Tomas Holmström

Wondering if Wings fans think it is possible Holmer is available this offseason. With Franzen signed longterm and filling the #1 crease-crashing role, Holmström's services are more of a luxury than a necessity. And given Detroit's cap crunch, the $2.25m Holmstrom makes as a 3rd liner might not be cost effective anymore.

Do Detroit fans think Holmström might be available? What would they be looking for in return?

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

More than likely not. But, who knows.

IMHO, I say Holmstrom retires this year, or next, so they'll probably hold onto him till then.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:23 AM
shadoz19

They won't let him retire as long as he's under contract.

shadoz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Hal Incandenza

It well help out their cap a bit, so I'm guessing they would be OK with it. Don't see him going anywhere else.

Hal Incandenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
DangleDangle

The word "untouchable" tends to extend to Wings players where it normally wouldn't on most other teams. He's part of the heart and soul of the Wings, and even though his role will be quite adequately filled by the time he retires, he'll retire a Wing and an (at least) 4 time cup winner. He also lives in the neighborhood with the other Swedes, drives Nick to home games, etc. Remember that the Wings aren't just a team.. they're a family, and he's somewhere around "Great Uncle" in status.

I expect him to play out the rest of his contract and retire, if he doesn't after this playoffs. Just an odd suspicion I have.. his body is starting to show permanent signs of the abuse he takes (constant groin/back problems), and one of his pastimes is carpentry..

DangleDangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:53 AM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19 View Post
They won't let him retire as long as he's under contract.
I don't think an NHL team can stop a player from retiring (correct me if I'm wrong) or else anaheim never would have went through that S. Nieds problem last season.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:37 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
I don't think an NHL team can stop a player from retiring (correct me if I'm wrong) or else anaheim never would have went through that S. Nieds problem last season.
His contract is also pre 35 years old so it comes off the books. I think he has 1-3 years left. He very well could retire this off season. I don't think Holland would trade him unless Holmstrom agreed... (ie to keep playing because he isnt a top 12 forward on this team). Currently I think he has his spot but in the next few years he may become more of an AHL player. Detroit may at that point trade him if he wants to stay in the NHL, as he can offer alot to other teams.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Chimp

He's not going anywhere. His contribution to the Wings is far greater than his stats. For like every point that guy receives, he has screened another 5, that probably wouldn't have been goals if he wasn't there.

He's the best screener in the league (and world) and that is worth alot. I remember when he went over the pond. Every hockey journalist in Sweden asked "what the hell is he going there for? Canada and USA have enough player of his calibre and type." Well, Homer wasn't just a gritty screener. He was the screener who took his screening role more seriously than any player has probably ever done, at least at this level. Never judge a dog by its hair.

His value? Well, what would a player be worth that would practically improve any PP in the league by at least two notches? There would only be an interest from "win now" teams and I don't think Detroit wants to help them improve.

Last edited by Chimp: 05-26-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:16 PM
joe89

I think Holmstrom's production suffers from the Datsyuk-Hossa mismatch. The value of Holmstrom is still on par with his contract imo.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:18 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I think he's a Red Wing for life.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:26 AM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
They would do everything they can to talk him out of it. I don't think he has the same mentality as Nieds either. I'd be shocked if he retired.

shadoz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:55 PM
detredWINgs

There isn't a chance that they trade him. It doesn't matter what the Wings cap situation is or what his stats are. The only time he leaves the Red Wings is when he retires.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:45 PM
66-29-33

If Wings wanna clear some money and get rid of him, Shero should look to trying to land him and play him next to Malkin.

Kunitz-Crosby
Holmstrom-Malkin

Then you got Caputi, and Tangradi coming here in the next few years.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Alex28*

Holland is not gonna toss aside the most underrated and undervalued Red Winger in recent history once they think he's reached an expiration date. That's not how he works, and that's why he wins cups and effectively operates with a $70 million salary cap.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:11 PM
STAALing

Man, it's like time to time people draw random names from a hat and make a thread with it.

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote