HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

tambellini trying to move up to top 7

Old
05-27-2009, 09:42 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
Gagner is not getting moved for a pick, how ridiculous is that? He has played in the NHL ever since he was drafted (still a teenager!) and has put up 0.60PPG for a young kid... MVP of Super Series. IMO, he would go 2nd overall if in this draft.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Gagner is not getting moved for a pick, how ridiculous is that? He has played in the NHL ever since he was drafted (still a teenager!) and has put up 0.60PPG for a young kid... MVP of Super Series. IMO, he would go 2nd overall if in this draft.
So the 6th overall in a relatively weak draft class is now a top 2 in a MUCH better draft class? I think you've been drinking too much Oiler koolaid. Combine the 2007 & 2009 draft classes and I'd be surprised if Gagner goes before 10th overall.

And I think that Gagne is a heck of a young player. Just not sure what the MVP of the super series has to tdo with anything at this point.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
So the 6th overall in a relatively weak draft class is now a top 2 in a MUCH better draft class? I think you've been drinking too much Oiler koolaid. Combine the 2007 & 2009 draft classes and I'd be surprised if Gagner goes before 10th overall.

And I think that Gagne is a heck of a young player. Just not sure what the MVP of the super series has to tdo with anything at this point.
actually, 2 years after you are drafted, your worth can go up or down. In Gagner's case, he is clearly better than what we hoped for when we drafted him 6th overall.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
actually, 2 years after you are drafted, your worth can go up or down. In Gagner's case, he is clearly better than what we hoped for when we drafted him 6th overall.
I agree 100% - but that wasn't Saskyoils point (or I misread his post). He said that Gagner would go 2nd overall in this draft. I can only assume that he means that if Gagner was 18 and draft eligible this year, he'd go 2nd overall. Otherwise, it's a really crappy comparison.

That's like saying that Bailey would be selected 2nd overall because he's proven he can play at the NHL level as an 18 YO kid, and the guys in this years draft haven't proven that yet.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Sure. That still doesn't mean he'd go as high as 2nd overall. I couldn't see him going ahead of the top three picks, and he could slip a couple of spots lower than that.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Shellz

Lets send Sully back to LA, Dean!

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Chea*

I think Edmonton will be happy to take Nazem Kadri. Fits in with their style too.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:27 PM
TheNudge

Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
Please edmonton, stay put and take a guy like Schroeder,Ellis or

TheNudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:26 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

The problem is that we have too many 2nd tier or smaller younger finesse players vying for the same spots.

They could flourish on an offensively minded team.

We have guys like O'Sullivan, Cogliano, Nilsson, Pouliot, Schremp, Gagner, Brule, Eberle. Some of these players are are better than others (and untouchable).. but the problem is out of these 8 guys, we should really only have 4-6 of them filling in our top 9 players. We NEED size, grinding, and more importantly - veteran prescence. We need to unload some of these guys on 2 for 1 deals, move quantity for quality.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:53 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
Lets send Sully back to LA, Dean!
Please don't.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Please don't.

Haha.

FINE.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:48 AM
teme

How about a three way:
Asuming that Oilers really want Duschene, Tampa picks Hedeman, Atlanta wants a young top six forward that can step right in, and Avs will settle to drafting a winger (MSP) or dman (Cowen).

To Oilers Avs 1st, 2nd, Atl 2nd
To Avs Atlanta first, Pavelec, Petry (or other Oilers D prospect)
To Atlanta Gagner, Oil 1st

teme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:08 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Please keep Gagner out of these silly proposals.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
The problem is that we have too many 2nd tier or smaller younger finesse players vying for the same spots.

They could flourish on an offensively minded team.

We have guys like O'Sullivan, Cogliano, Nilsson, Pouliot, Schremp, Gagner, Brule, Eberle. Some of these players are are better than others (and untouchable).. but the problem is out of these 8 guys, we should really only have 4-6 of them filling in our top 9 players. We NEED size, grinding, and more importantly - veteran prescence. We need to unload some of these guys on 2 for 1 deals, move quantity for quality.
Little/no trade value at this point: Nilsson, Pouliot, Shremp, Brule
Solid Players/Prospects: POS, Cogs, Gagner, maybe Eberle

So you want to trade a bunch of crap, for bigger better players? You should be a GM, because I don't think that anyone else has ever tried that before. [sarcasm font off]

Seriously though - you'd be lucky to get mid-late round draft pick for the first four guys I mentioned. What team has extra big skilled legit scoring line players but doesn't have enough suspects to give icetime to? The NHL isn't a charity, and the Oilers aren't going to turn a bunch of suspects into a legit NHL scoring line powerforward, or move up into the top 7 cheaply when there is a perceived fall-off in talent after that point.

Old
05-28-2009, 10:36 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Little/no trade value at this point: Nilsson, Pouliot, Shremp, Brule
Solid Players/Prospects: POS, Cogs, Gagner, maybe Eberle

So you want to trade a bunch of crap, for bigger better players? You should be a GM, because I don't think that anyone else has ever tried that before. [sarcasm font off]

Seriously though - you'd be lucky to get mid-late round draft pick for the first four guys I mentioned. What team has extra big skilled legit scoring line players but doesn't have enough suspects to give icetime to? The NHL isn't a charity, and the Oilers aren't going to turn a bunch of suspects into a legit NHL scoring line powerforward, or move up into the top 7 cheaply when there is a perceived fall-off in talent after that point.
I think this post captures the EDM's problems this summer nicely. They want to make changes, but how aggressive should you be about it if you'd get 30 cents on the dollar in return?

There's not much sense in moving Schremp, Pouliot or Brule if their value is low, because they all still have some potential and don't cost much. I suppose if the EDM's decision makers thinks one or two have them no have no potential as contributing NHL pros going forward, then they may move them no matter what they get back.

Nilsson, IMO, has more value than you are suggesting, but I could well be wrong. If I am, the same problem exists, but I could see them still willing to move him since he takes up 2 mil in cap room, and they might well need that space whether they get a great return on Nilsson or not.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 10:49 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Give your head a shake JA. There is no mention of the 10th going back to Toronto.
You are indeed correct. I read that post too fast and inferred from the other Gagner proposals in the thread. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
Seriously, eh? He's acting like he has a say in anything Oilers related and is hell-bent on making someone else feel like an idiot for their proposal. Maybe simmer down and actually read what you are responding to? Minor suggestion.
I'm not acting like anything but a guy who knows how tough it would be to get Gagner out of Edmonton. From everything the Oilers have said about him, he is literally the last asset we would move. And a draft pick maybe isn't going to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
I guess this trade isn't happening then. Who do you expect to be trading for 4th overall Horcoff + 1st? You have to give quality to get quality.
Then it isn't happening. At 10 we can get a very good player, like you did last year. There is no reason to move Gagner for another maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Please keep Gagner out of these silly proposals.
This. That was the point I was (poorly) trying to get across earlier

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:48 AM
koeltrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
How about a three way:
Asuming that Oilers really want Duschene, Tampa picks Hedeman, Atlanta wants a young top six forward that can step right in, and Avs will settle to drafting a winger (MSP) or dman (Cowen).

To Oilers Avs 1st, 2nd, Atl 2nd
To Avs Atlanta first, Pavelec, Petry (or other Oilers D prospect)
To Atlanta Gagner, Oil 1st
I think this is a decent proposal. Maybe needs some tweaks. I would put the D prospect going to Atlanta, as they are moving down 6 spots. I think the logic behind the trade is good though if I also assume the Oilers want Duchene (which I think would be great).

My counter:

To Oilers: Avs 1st and 2nd, Pavelec
To Avs: Atl 1st and 2nd
To Atlanta: Gagner, Oil 1st, Chorney/Petry

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote