HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Alexander the *****

Old
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
Alexander the *****

Radulov, a man of his word (this week anyway)

By DAVID STAPLES 05-27-2009 COMMENTS(4) CULT OF HOCKEY

Filed under: Peter Adler, KHL, Nashville Predators
Peter Adler, the Edmonton-based Euro-hockey expert, reports:

Is this double standard or is this double standard? Citing an existing contract with Ufa of the Russian Continental Hockey League (KHL), forward Alexander Radulov said he wouldn’t be returning to Nashville any time soon.

He did meet with Predators’ GM David Poile during the recent world championships in Switzerland at least a couple of times, but said that, while flattered by Nashville’s continuing interest, he’s under contractual obligation – well, was he not similarly tied to the Predators when he bolted for Russia?

Speaking of Salavat Yulayev Ufa, Patrick Thoresen (remember him?) has signed on. The former NHL player (Edmonton, Philadelphia) spent the last couple of seasons skating for Djurgarden (Sweden’s Elitserien) and Lugano (Swiss National League A).

In an interview with the Russian Sport-Express newspaper, Thoresen said the Ufa offer was the most lucrative and attractive of all the offers he’s got. Trying to put things in context, Thoresen said he was disappointed he got only fourth-line duty in Edmonton, which is not his forte.

Speaking of lucrative offers made by KHL clubs: the Russians ordered all of its clubs to have their financial houses in order or they face expulsion. Alexander Medvedev, the KHL chief, also said his league would not permit a situation like that of the Phoenix Coyotes to happen in their country.

Khimik Voskresensk, MVD Balashikha, Metallurg Novokuznetsk and Vityaz Podolsk Chekhov. Apparently Novosibirsk had some issues, too, but one of the league's bosses, Vladimir Shalayev, said these were short-term challenges, nothing to worry about.

Based on this he won't be coming back

Lets look at the lines now: As per signed players

Dumont-Arnott-Blank
Erat-Legwand-Blank
Jones-Wilson-Hornqvist
Belak-Smithson-Tootoo

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Sultzer

That's weak!!!

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post

Lets look at the lines now: As per signed players

Dumont-Arnott-Blank
Erat-Legwand-Blank
Jones-Wilson-Hornqvist
Belak-Smithson-Tootoo

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Sultzer

That's weak!!!
We'll have to get used to teams like this until we start packing the building, which isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Dumont-Arnott-Blank <---------- Can be filled by Steve Sullivan for 3.5-4 Million
Erat-Legwand-Blank <---------- Can be filled by FA for 3 million, 4.2 if Ellis is traded
Jones-Wilson-Hornqvist <-------- Joel Ward will be here
Belak-Smithson-Tootoo <-------- Might also include O'Reilly and Jessiman in the running for spots here.

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Sultzer <--------- Franson could be here
<--------- Cheap vet under one million FA here.

And the Pred would be at 46 million where they were last year. Panic when this is the roster coning into camp.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Dumont-Arnott-Blank <---------- Can be filled by Steve Sullivan for 3.5-4 Million
Erat-Legwand-Blank <---------- Can be filled by FA for 3 million, 4.2 if Ellis is traded
Jones-Wilson-Hornqvist <-------- Joel Ward will be here
Belak-Smithson-Tootoo <-------- Might also include O'Reilly and Jessiman in the running for spots here.

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Sultzer <--------- Franson could be here
<--------- Cheap vet under one million FA here.

And the Pred would be at 46 million where they were last year. Panic when this is the roster coning into camp.
too much money for a player on the wrong side of 35 and coming off 2 surgeries & the next hit he receives could be his last

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:20 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
too much money for a player on the wrong side of 35 and coming off 2 surgeries & the next hit he receives could be his last
Agreed and with the market we have and the possible drop in the cap, he should only get 2.5 but the guy was offered by the Preds 4

Old
05-28-2009, 05:02 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Sullivan, Cole, and Ward in free agency and we should be fine. Getting a good deal on a veteran defenseman to play with Hamhuis for the short term would be nice, but not necessary.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 02:49 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Panic when this is the roster coning into camp.
Why? Do you see that defense? It'll be the best we've ever had and one of the best in the league. Or it COULD be.

Teams have won big playing defensive style hockey before. In fact, Trotz loves that. And if Sullivan can stay healthy a full season? And what if Wilson plays well for much of the season? What if Wardy produces again? (And with Ward's style I see him as being consistent.)

No, I'm not going to panic. Too bad we haven't done well at filling the farm system with offensive talent though. Because, sure, we could use punch there, and a good scoring free agent.

But it's not panic time. It's just another rebuilding year. What worries me is that in couple years even what little offensive talent we have there will fall off. Maybe Arnott and Sullivan anyway. So we are "rebuilding" without an end in sight, although maybe with Rads coming back someday.... So it is true I hope we pick up someone decent. As, with another scorer, next season could actually be pretty good.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 05-30-2009 at 03:01 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 03:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Why? Do you see that defense? It'll be the best we've ever had and one of the best in the league. Or it COULD be.

Teams have won big playing defensive style hockey before. In fact, Trotz loves that. And if Sullivan can stay healthy a full season? And what if Wilson plays well for much of the season? What if Wardy produces again? (And with Ward's style I see him as being consistent.)

No, I'm not going to panic. Too bad we haven't done well at filling the farm system with offensive talent though. Because, sure, we could use punch there, and a good scoring free agent.

But it's not panic time. It's just another rebuilding year. What worries me is that in couple years even what little offensive talent we have there will fall off. Maybe Arnott and Sullivan anyway. So we are "rebuilding" without an end in sight, although maybe with Rads coming back someday.... So it is true I hope we pick up someone decent. As, with another scorer, next season could actually be pretty good.
I said PANIC WHEN the camp starts and this is the roster. The team needs another forward and there is plenty of time to pick one up.

Old
05-30-2009, 03:33 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
I said PANIC WHEN the camp starts and this is the roster. The team needs another forward and there is plenty of time to pick one up.
Ahh ok then. My bad.

I thought though you showed a free agent forward in a spot. And then said panic.

But whatever. Yeah, if we don't add ANYONE decent via free agency, we'll be slightly better anyway, I think. (Assuming Wilson makes the squad early and assuming we have Sully.) But not significantly better. And that would be a bummer.

Old
05-31-2009, 01:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Ahh ok then. My bad.

I thought though you showed a free agent forward in a spot. And then said panic.

But whatever. Yeah, if we don't add ANYONE decent via free agency, we'll be slightly better anyway, I think. (Assuming Wilson makes the squad early and assuming we have Sully.) But not significantly better. And that would be a bummer.
Assuming Wilson will not only make the team but contribute immediately is a trap we fell into last year with Jones and Hornqvist...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Assuming Wilson will not only make the team but contribute immediately is a trap we fell into last year with Jones and Hornqvist...
agree with this

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Absolutely agree. We need insurance in case Wilson doesn't perform to expectations. One could argue that said insurance could be found in Cal O'Reilly, but he struggled to produce when he was separated form Sullivan...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
OpenWheel

What "trap" did we fall into? The trap of not really having the money to sign someone really good?

I'm not worried about last year. Yeah, it was set-up to be a write-off of a season by Poile. But I don't think he had all that much choice after Rads bolted. He did what many here suggested. Let some of the grinders contracts play out, hope some of the young players you threw on the ice with them show promise, and try to be better in 2009. I'm glad he he didn't buy a two year rental stiff.

The low budget rebuilding is on track.

We don't have any choice with our budget but hope Wilson contributes real-soon-now, and that O'Reilly, Santorelli(s) or Hornqvist or some other prospect improves a lot.

We DO have a good young defense, by Poile design. Our true hope is that the offense can reach consistently average, and our defense can play like real beasts.

I'm not going to panic. I like the looks of our next few years.