HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

All Purpose Movie Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2009, 11:18 AM
  #101
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,325
vCash: 500
I think Im going to see Angels & Demons and/or Terminator this week. Anyone see them? I heard they were alright


(Also I dont know why I still do it, but I still go to Rotten Tomatoes for information. I think Im retarded. 95% of the movies they rate are rotten according to the "critics")

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
  #102
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think Im going to see Angels & Demons and/or Terminator this week. Anyone see them? I heard they were alright


(Also I dont know why I still do it, but I still go to Rotten Tomatoes for information. I think Im retarded. 95% of the movies they rate are rotten according to the "critics")
I saw Angels and Demons the other night. Probably won't win any awards, but it's entertaining and that's all that matters in the end.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
  #103
46zone
Guttersnipe
 
46zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
Did anyone see Observe and Report?

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
  #104
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
http://lookingcloser.org/2009/05/ter...alvation-2009/

See this article re: T4

I thought Angels & Demons was laughable, but I never read the book and I'm not the Tom Hanks fan everyone else is. If you saw either of the National Treasure movies, its basically the same thing, just a little more adult.

I actually heard Observe & Report is a good dark comedy and the reason is didn't get the best reception is because people thought it'd be something else. Sounds kind of like what happened to The Cable Guy. I'm interested to see it. Anna Faris annoys me though...

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
  #105
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Are those from just this thread, or do you save those for zinging him?
No, various threads.

Odin likes to throw stones, but has yet to realize he lives in a glass house.

All in good fun.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:12 PM
  #106
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
No, various threads.

Odin likes to throw stones, but has yet to realize he lives in a glass house.

All in good fun.
For your information, I live in a grass house.

Har har har.


Last edited by Opus: 05-26-2009 at 12:26 PM.
ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
  #107
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
http://lookingcloser.org/2009/05/ter...alvation-2009/

See this article re: T4

I thought Angels & Demons was laughable, but I never read the book and I'm not the Tom Hanks fan everyone else is. If you saw either of the National Treasure movies, its basically the same thing, just a little more adult.

I actually heard Observe & Report is a good dark comedy and the reason is didn't get the best reception is because people thought it'd be something else. Sounds kind of like what happened to The Cable Guy. I'm interested to see it. Anna Faris annoys me though...

Movie critics are such a waste. Who the hell cares what these "experts" think. Guess what movies are ENTERTAINMENT, not grand pieces of human culture and art that will forever show the future people of their ancestors. I want to see **** explode, people die and not be bored to death. If it happens to be "ground breaking" and "fresh" so be it. But at this point every movie is a copy of another. There are only so many plot lines and character types. There has probably not been a "new" movie in about 40 years. Just new settings and props that make the movie seem so "epic"

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:48 PM
  #108
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Everyone gets to be a critic when it comes to art/movies. That's your right as a consumer of it. Sorry your opinion differs from that article. I found myself nodding my head throughout the whole thing.

I think people who just want to see "**** explode and not be bored", as you so aptly put it, have plenty to feast on(i.e. Michael Bay movies, Super Hero movies) and need not worry about the critics who are forced to watch and torch these regurgitated pieces of crap.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
  #109
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Everyone gets to be a critic when it comes to art/movies. That's your right as a consumer of it. Sorry your opinion differs from that article. I found myself nodding my head throughout the whole thing.

I think people who just want to see "**** explode and not be bored", as you so aptly put it, have plenty to feast on(i.e. Michael Bay movies, Super Hero movies) and need not worry about the critics who are forced to watch and torch these regurgitated pieces of crap.
These guys aren't forced to watch anything. They see what they want. Not every critic sees every movie ever made. They hit on the movies that they think are going to get the most at the box office. It is a job like anything else and the more people who read their "reviews" the better they look in their bosses eyes. Obviously the ones who get the most hits get first dibs at the movies. The critics themselves have no measurable criteria for the movies and similar movies reviewed by the same guy can be completely all over the place.

There is also a HUGE bias when it comes to these guys. Why the hell do i want someone who thought Slumdog was an A+ review Terminator? He obviously is going to go into it and hate it from the start. Action movies/horror flicks/comedies almost NEVER get reviewed well. It is always the artsy-fartsy stuff that no one ever sees (sans a few) that get the "best" ratings.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
  #110
supa scoop
Registered User
 
supa scoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
I agree that some people try to make run-of-the-mill box office blockbusters out to be more than they should be.

In general though, 9 times out of 10 I prefer the "artsy-fartsy stuff" over the same repetitive hollywood action/romantic comedy that has been done 100 million times.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 02:46 PM
  #111
46zone
Guttersnipe
 
46zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
I was watching Death Proof the other day and I couldn't stop thinking, "What the **** ever happened to Kurt Russell?"

He was still pretty big when I was growing up.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 02:46 PM
  #112
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Did anyone see Observe and Report?
I saw it, I figured it would have been funnier then what it really was. But it wasn't terrible, but definitely nothing to write home about. Alot of the funny parts were in the commercials so you knew they were coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
http://lookingcloser.org/2009/05/ter...alvation-2009/

See this article re: T4

I thought Angels & Demons was laughable, but I never read the book and I'm not the Tom Hanks fan everyone else is. If you saw either of the National Treasure movies, its basically the same thing, just a little more adult.

I actually heard Observe & Report is a good dark comedy and the reason is didn't get the best reception is because people thought it'd be something else. Sounds kind of like what happened to The Cable Guy. I'm interested to see it. Anna Faris annoys me though...
The book was alot better then the movie, One of the best books i've read in a while. I'll agree that it is pretty much National Treasure but I somehow enjoyed it so much more. The movie left out some major parts of the book that would have made the ending alot more important to the story line instead of what just seemed like a filler.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 04:13 PM
  #113
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
These guys aren't forced to watch anything. They see what they want. Not every critic sees every movie ever made. They hit on the movies that they think are going to get the most at the box office. It is a job like anything else and the more people who read their "reviews" the better they look in their bosses eyes. Obviously the ones who get the most hits get first dibs at the movies. The critics themselves have no measurable criteria for the movies and similar movies reviewed by the same guy can be completely all over the place.

There is also a HUGE bias when it comes to these guys. Why the hell do i want someone who thought Slumdog was an A+ review Terminator? He obviously is going to go into it and hate it from the start. Action movies/horror flicks/comedies almost NEVER get reviewed well. It is always the artsy-fartsy stuff that no one ever sees (sans a few) that get the "best" ratings.
Actually, if a movie is good, it will get noticed. Action/horror/comedy generally don't get reviewed well because it's so hard to write original stories in those genres that are genuinely good. There are plenty of action and comedies that aren't "artsy-fartsy" that get reviewed well every year. There is no formulaic pattern to movie watching for fans who can appreciate all genres. If a movie is good, it's good. It doesn't matter what category it falls under. Your argument that T4 was great because things blow up and people die is a little less convincing than the 40 or so points that "biased critic" made in their blog...

A movie doesn't have to get reviewed well to be good (Dumb and Dumber for example) and I don't base my opinions on what critics have to say. I posted that article because I thought it was 100% on point, not because a critic wrote it. If you'd take the time to read it you would clearly see that the writer is a fan of action movies, referencing several other movies from the genre he likes, making your Slumdog comment even more irrelevant.


Last edited by Mr Oysterhead: 05-26-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 04:48 PM
  #114
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Actually, if a movie is good, it will get noticed. Action/horror/comedy generally don't get reviewed well because it's so hard to write original stories in those genres that are genuinely good. There are plenty of action and comedies that aren't "artsy-fartsy" that get reviewed well every year. There is no formulaic pattern to movie watching for fans who can appreciate all genres. If a movie is good, it's good. It doesn't matter what category it falls under. Your argument that T4 was great because things blow up and people die is a little less convincing than the 40 or so points that "biased critic" made in their blog...

A movie doesn't have to get reviewed well to be good (Dumb and Dumber for example) and I don't base my opinions on what critics have to say. I posted that article because I thought it was 100% on point, not because a critic wrote it. If you'd take the time to read it you would clearly see that the writer is a fan of action movies, referencing several other movies from the genre he likes, making your Slumdog comment even more irrelevant.
So because he references some of the most well known action movies of all time he automatically becomes a fan of the genre? Oh wow blade runner and the road warrior . . . yup he must love action movies to have picked up on those.

T4 is great for what it is . . . a movie with people dying and explosions non-stop. There is no underlying context of the virtues of society and romanticizing of the human character. That is what critics want to see. It is like doing a book report in english class. Who the hell am I to comment on Hemmingway and what his true intentions were. Sometimes there just aren't any.

I agree that if a movie is good, it is good. I'm not just a fan of movies that have loud noises and gunplay. I just don't understand why critics feel the need to review movies of this sort when everyone knows that there isn't going to be anything worth noting. Sure you can pick up on the acting and editing, but other than that. There is almost no point and a waste of time.

People tend to read WAY too much into most movies. Take it for face-value because that is all you are going to get out of it.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:03 PM
  #115
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
So because he references some of the most well known action movies of all time he automatically becomes a fan of the genre? Oh wow blade runner and the road warrior . . . yup he must love action movies to have picked up on those.
He also had paragraphs explaining why he loved the first 2 terminators, as well as some other movies you omitted.

Article:
"When Arnold Schwarzeneggar first uttered the words “Ahl be bach!“, people laughed and cheered. James Cameron’s The Terminator was suspenseful, exciting, and funny in a way that only the best B-movies can be. We loved the idea of an android assassin from the future hunting down a pregnant SWF who had no idea that her son would grow up to be humankind’s savior during an onslaught of rebel machines. Arnie’s wicked killing machine quickly became an iconic big screen monster. We loved him, and we wanted more.

When Cameron’s ginormous sequel arrived, the first film’s simple ideas swelled to epic proportions. With Planet Earth on a course for nuclear devastation, another Terminator came back to try and kill young John Connor. But a “good” Terminator came after him to save the day. The time travel aspect was interesting, but simple enough that it didn’t disrupt the action. And Terminator 2: Judgment Day set a new standard in special effects and action set pieces, becoming one of the biggest sci-fi action flicks ever released."


Seems like a fan of the genre to me...

Quote:
T4 is great for what it is . . . a movie with people dying and explosions non-stop. There is no underlying context of the virtues of society and romanticizing of the human character. That is what critics want to see. It is like doing a book report in english class. Who the hell am I to comment on Hemmingway and what his true intentions were. Sometimes there just aren't any.
I couldn't disagree more. Actually, I'd say the entire focus was to try and get the audience to really question what is man/what is machine and start thinking deeply about how they treat all other beings, human or not. The whole point of the movie was for Bale to connect with the machines and for him to try and overcome his biases and get a new perspective on life. An idea that has already been done, and done wayyyyy better, several times before. Why do you think they spent so much time covering this element of the story? They definitely used people dying and non-stop explosions to try and cover up their weak, hole-filled plot though.

Quote:
I agree that if a movie is good, it is good. I'm not just a fan of movies that have loud noises and gunplay. I just don't understand why critics feel the need to review movies of this sort when everyone knows that there isn't going to be anything worth noting. Sure you can pick up on the acting and editing, but other than that. There is almost no point and a waste of time.
Because they're doing their job and if they only reviewed films they loved they probably wouldn't have a lot of readers and would be out of work?

Quote:
People tend to read WAY too much into most movies. Take it for face-value because that is all you are going to get out of it.
If the movie's face value is a mass-produced piece of **** with no heart, I'm going to take it as that. I can watch things blow up and people get hurt anywhere, Youtube is a great resource. As a director/writer/producer you need to make an effort if you want your audience to care, and that was nonexistent in T4.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:21 PM
  #116
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
My Top 5
1. Boondock Saints
2. 21
3. Taken
4. Miracle
5. Godfather

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 07:56 PM
  #117
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 300
Top 5
1. Fight Club
2. Knocked Up
3. The Departed
4. Soylent Green
5. Forrest Gump

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:24 PM
  #118
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
I'm shocked that the people who made those two suckfests somehow managed to make something this solid. Catwoman was probably one of the worst movies I ever saw and Charlie's Angels was just a mess, but this was pretty good.
Lol yes that movie was so terrible.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:00 AM
  #119
Phunhog
Registered User
 
Phunhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 521
vCash: 500


This movie needs heavy rotation on TBS

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:20 PM
  #120
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I just watched the last few episodes of Fringe. Man it got good.


And in the last scene there was a picture of Jerry Garcia on the wall.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:02 PM
  #121
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I just watched the last few episodes of Fringe. Man it got good.


And in the last scene there was a picture of Jerry Garcia on the wall.
Fringe?

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 03:22 AM
  #122
qwertysac
Registered User
 
qwertysac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
My top 5 (in no particular order):

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
American Beauty
OldBoy
Se7en
The Man Who Would Be King

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
  #123
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Anyone else excited for Up? I've always been a sucker for the pixar/animated movies

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:07 AM
  #124
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Anyone else excited for Up? I've always been a sucker for the pixar/animated movies
Saw it yesterday. It's fantastic. I think it goes ~3rd if I were to rank my favorite pixar movies.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:25 AM
  #125
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Saw it yesterday. It's fantastic. I think it goes ~3rd if I were to rank my favorite pixar movies.
Saw it last night as well. It was sick. Definitely one of the best pixar movies. If I had to rank my top 3 animated movies the list would look something like this:

1. Horton Hears a Who!
2. Meet the Robinsons
3. Monsters, Inc.

Up is definitely pushing for a spot in the top three though. The only Pixar movie I haven't really liked is Cars.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.