HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hartford Wolf Pack Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2009, 07:59 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Glen Sather's junior team Chilliwack might hire Perry Pearn as their head coach

Quote:
THE COACHING GAME: On Wednesday, Darryl Porter, the governor and interim GM of the Chilliwack Bruins, told Eric Welsh of the Chilliwack Progress that he had three candidates remaining on a list of potential head-coaching candidates . . . . That same day, Vancouver radio station CKNW reported that there are four names on the Bruins’ shortlist. . . . According to CKNW, the candidates are Gord Dineen, a member of one of hockey’s first families who coached the AHL’s Iowa Chops this season; former Regina Pats head coach Curtis Hunt, who is head coach of the AHL’s Binghamton Senators; former Kelowna Rockets head coach Marc Habscheid; and, Perry Pearn, who was on head coach Tom Renney’s staff with the New York Rangers until the axe fell during this season. . . . The Chops are the AHL affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks, whose GM was Brian Burke when Dineen was hired. Burke owns a chunk of the Bruins. . . . Glen Sather, the Rangers’ president and GM, also is part of the ownership group and obviously is quite familiar with Pearn. . . . It is interesting to hear Hunt’s name mentioned in regards to Chilliwack because he continues to be the leading candidate to take over as the Pats’ head coach. Hunt left last summer to be an assistant under head coach Craig Hartsburg with the NHL’s Ottawa Senators. When Hartsburg was fired in midseason, former Kootenay Ice head coach Cory Clouston was promoted from Binghamton, and Hunt was assigned to Binghamton. . . . The Bruins, of course, fired GM Darrell May in January and head coach Jim Hiller after the season.
http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2009/05/thursday_21.html

Hunt returned to Regina as their HC.

Considering Chilliwack is considering Habscheid for their HC,could he became a possibility in Hartford if they make a coaching change?

Pittsburgh plucked Todd Richards off Milwaukee's coaching staff to coach Scranton-Wilkes Barrie.Richards was hired by SJ as an assistant last summer.Now Richards is the leading guy to get the Minnesota job because Chuck Fletcher hired Richards in Pittsburgh.

Even Mike Pellino might be a good choice in Hartford.

Old
05-29-2009, 06:16 AM
squishy

Here's a translation of a long interview with Vladimir Denisov in which he talks about the season in Hartford and reveals that he asked for a trade in January when Gernander sat him out for nearly the entire month.

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...n-in-hartford/

(I didn't think it merited its own thread, since most people don't even know who he is and it looks like he's unlikely to return, but if anyone disagrees feel free to start one.)

Old
05-29-2009, 08:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Here's a translation of a long interview with Vladimir Denisov in which he talks about the season in Hartford and reveals that he asked for a trade in January when Gernander sat him out for nearly the entire month.

(I didn't think it merited its own thread, since most people don't even know who he is and it looks like he's unlikely to return, but if anyone disagrees feel free to start one.)
I had pretty much assumed that Denisov wouldn't be back, but I guess this is the nail in the coffin, so to speak.

Old
05-29-2009, 08:31 AM
squishy

It's a shame, cause he's a good defenseman. Better than Nightingale and Urquhart imo (though Urquhart probably has more upside). And he was always willing to stand up for his teammates, even if he went over the edge in doing so on occasion.

Old
05-29-2009, 08:46 AM
DontStepanMe

Squish, don't you think that the Wolfpack will still have a strong d core though?

I mean. It will probably have a combination of

Sangs
Potter
Sauer
Kundratek
Gilroy
Heikennen
Dowzak

and my all time favorite Busto..

Old
05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Squish, don't you think that the Wolfpack will still have a strong d core though?

I mean. It will probably have a combination of

Sangs
Potter
Sauer
Kundratek
Gilroy
Heikennen
Dowzak

and my all time favorite Busto..
I'm hoping at least one, and possibly two of those players spend the majority of the season in NY. And Potter needs to be resigned first -- seems likely, but I didn't expect Baranka to split either. Do we know for sure that Kundratek won't go back for another year in juniors? Heikennen is a total unknown, and after Jamtin, Demagin and Skokan took off last season, I'm not ready to depend on him as a full-timer until we see how he does in camp. As for Dowzak, hopefully he made huge strides this season, because he was a total fish out of water in Hartford last season.

There's still a lot of question marks. Denisov is a known quantity, a solid defenseman who'll give his all on every shift and could help a guy like Grachev out if Anisimov (hopefully) sticks in NY.

Old
05-29-2009, 10:00 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I'm hoping at least one, and possibly two of those players spend the majority of the season in NY. And Potter needs to be resigned first -- seems likely, but I didn't expect Baranka to split either. Do we know for sure that Kundratek won't go back for another year in juniors? Heikennen is a total unknown, and after Jamtin, Demagin and Skokan took off last season, I'm not ready to depend on him as a full-timer until we see how he does in camp. As for Dowzak, hopefully he made huge strides this season, because he was a total fish out of water in Hartford last season.

There's still a lot of question marks. Denisov is a known quantity, a solid defenseman who'll give his all on every shift and could help a guy like Grachev out if Anisimov (hopefully) sticks in NY.
According to Prospect Park, Dowak DID make huge strides, especially in the second half of the season and the POs - can't wait to see him in HFD next year.

Old
06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I'm very anxious to see what happens with AA and Grachev come the fall. Its something to be excited about, unlike the depressing though of seeing Drury and Redden playing big minutes again.

Old
06-01-2009, 05:58 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Don Lever who coached Hamilton to a Calder Cup a few seasons ago might be available. His contract with Montreal expires on June 15.

Old
06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
squishy

Quote:
Wolf Pack general manager Jim Schoenfeld announced today that the team has signed defenseman Mike Berube to an American Hockey League contract.

A 6-1, 215-pound native of Edmonton, Alberta, the 21-year-old Berube skated in 56 games this past season for the Western Hockey League’s Vancouver Giants, notching four goals and 20 assists for 24 points and serving 55 minutes in penalties. He was also a +33 on the year. In 17 postseason contests for the Giants, Berube contributed one assist and had 16 PIM.
http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/defa...k=59&objId=344

Looks like a depth signing to me.

Old
06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
From everything I've read/seen in articles and on Grachev's facebook, he seems to be completely acclimated to life in NA (his english is already totally solid, by all accounts). Hopefully this means he won't NEED other Russians around to rely on.

At the same time, it couldn't hurt, and it should be more helpful than not. Either way, I'm pumped to see what Battleship can do at the pro level!

Old
06-11-2009, 09:18 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:

not sure why everyone feels Grachev needs a countrymate. He speaks very good English and should fit right in with NA's. He did so with his Junior team.

Old
06-11-2009, 10:26 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
not sure why everyone feels Grachev needs a countrymate. He speaks very good English and should fit right in with NA's. He did so with his Junior team.
He lived with a billet family in Brampton. Next year will create a whole new set a challenges for him. Moreover, I never said he "needs" a countrymate. Regardless of who he is and how well he might have done in juniors, it can be helpful to have someone with whom you can speak your own language and who has gone through some of the same things you're going through. That's all.

Old
06-11-2009, 10:31 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
He lived with a billet family in Brampton. Next year will create a whole new set a challenges for him. Moreover, I never said he "needs" a countrymate. Regardless of who he is and how well he might have done in juniors, it can be helpful to have someone with whom you can speak your own language and who has gone through some of the same things you're going through. That's all.
I have a very distinct feeling that he will be fine in HFD. I doubt Bobby Sangs makes the Ranger roster and being a former Battalion that will help Grachev. I know many people say Anisimov is ready to play in the NHL but you never know how training camp will play out. The Rangers have 3 centers with Dubi, Dru, and Gomez. Sather would be absolutely retarded to not re-sign Betts so I have a feeling Anisimov is going to be starting in HFD unless a trade goes down. Grachev will be fine I think.

Old
06-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Vitto79

I think both Sauer and Potter make the team since they don't have enough money to pay Mara and Morris

Sanguinetti will be next in line and WILL get a call up at some point

Del Zotto one more year in London to be the man

The Ranger D is predictable next year

Staal, Girardi, Redden, Dman back for Rozy, Sauer, Gilroy, Potter

Old
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Didn't Grachev come to NA already speaking fluent english? Or am I mixing him up with another russian prospect? I know there was a russian prospect within the past year or two who was touted as having excellent english, and it would help his transition as he wouldn't have to learn a new language when he came over.

Thought it was Grachev, maybe not.

I still think it would help to have other russians on the team, of course. But not a requirement by any means.

Old
06-12-2009, 01:37 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Didn't Grachev come to NA already speaking fluent english? Or am I mixing him up with another russian prospect? I know there was a russian prospect within the past year or two who was touted as having excellent english, and it would help his transition as he wouldn't have to learn a new language when he came over.

I still think it would help to have other russians on the team, of course. But not a requirement by any means.
I think that was Filitov but from what I heard and have seen Grachev has been speaking english and seems to have the personality to make up for any short-comings he has in the language barrier.

Old
06-12-2009, 01:56 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I think that was Filitov but from what I heard and have seen Grachev has been speaking english and seems to have the personality to make up for any short-comings he has in the language barrier.
It was Grachev. I remember one scout was talking about being in line at the concession stand and having a long conversation with the Battlehship. He basically said that Grachev's English was already very good and that Grachev was a really nice kid.

Old
06-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Levitate

Grachev knew some english around the time of the draft, but I wouldn't have called him fluent. The video interview of him after the draft is probably still kicking around.

I expect he's gotten better since it's been a year with english speaking teammates

Old
06-12-2009, 02:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
It was Grachev. I remember one scout was talking about being in line at the concession stand and having a long conversation with the Battlehship. He basically said that Grachev's English was already very good and that Grachev was a really nice kid.
I think Filitov took english since he was very young though. Grachev I am sure has gotten a lot better but Filitov I am sure almost spoke perfect english at the draft.

Old
06-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Ah, it was Filatov, I just looked him up. His mother is an english teacher so he has spoken english since he was little. Nevermind.

Old
06-12-2009, 06:57 PM
squishy

The Wolf Pack have re-signed defenseman David Urquhart:

Quote:
Wolf Pack general manager Jim Schoenfeld announced today that the team has re-signed defenseman David Urquhart to an American Hockey League contract.

Urquhart, a rookie out of McGill University, logged 58 games of AHL action with the Wolf Pack this past season, scoring six goals and adding eight assists for 14 points, with 36 penalty minutes and a +13 rating. The 24-year-old, 6-0, 195-pounder was scoreless and +1 in six postseason games.

Prior to joining the Wolf Pack, Urquhart, a native of Thorold, Ontario, registered five assists and 10 PIM in seven games with the Pack’s ECHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers.

Urquhart originally signed with the Wolf Pack last July, after totaling 23 goals and 84 assists for 107 points, along with 330 minutes in penalties, in 147 career games at McGill, where he played the previous four seasons.
http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/defa...k=59&objId=345

Old
06-12-2009, 10:41 PM
eco's bones

Filatov was brought up speaking English. His mother if I remember right was an English language professor at a University. There was an article after the draft last year about Grachev--I think it was in Ottawa--at the hotel he was staying at he was testing his language skills on everyone he could run into. I don't think he's anywhere near Filatov--more in the Ovechkin range or Kovalev when he first came over. He is enthusisatic about it which is the important thing. He wants to be here.

Old
06-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Dinamo Minsk offered a deal to Vladimir Denisov

As per pressboll, Dinamo Minsk offered a contract to Vladimir Denisov, but their director for hockey operations, Sean Simpson, said that "it'll be hard because he wants to keep on pursuing a NA career".

Discuss

06-17-2009, 10:38 AM
squishy

I don't think Denisov's even on most Rangers fans radar. He made it pretty clear in an interview with Pressball at the end of the season that he wasn't very happy with his year in the Rangers organization. It was pretty obvious he'd be looking elsewhere.

Original interview (Russian):
http://www.pressball.by/news.php?t=0205&id=47365

Translation:

Closed Thread