HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Official "Danny Boy" Thread

View Poll Results: What do you wish?
I hope he remains a Flyer, despite his contract. 59 55.66%
I hope Holmgren trades him ASAP. 47 44.34%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
The Official "Danny Boy" Thread

Post your thoughts of Danny Boy here.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Trade. He's a good player, but it makes no sense having his cap hit on the books. Our highest paid player should be our best player. He's like our 5th best player.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:24 AM
supa scoop

Like him, but feel the money would be better spent in other areas.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:26 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I laid down this challenge in the other thread, but since this is the Danny thread, I'll do it here too.

Name me 3 incontrovertible reasons why Briere would ever waive his NMC.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I laid down this challenge in the other thread, but since this is the Danny thread, I'll do it here too.

Money
money
money

oh yeah to win the cup.

I'm only half serious about the money.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Mo0sE

Send a message via AIM to Mo0sE
I hope to see him back. (Yeah I said it). I think hes a great player. Yeah he lacks on defense but he was not brought here for that, He was brought here to put up points which he has. In his first, year he got 72 points with 79 games played. He also led the team in Playoff points that year. This year he put up I believe 26 points in 29 GP. Plus if you put him on a line with Giroux next season I think both would benefit off of each other's play. It's not like Briere isn't putting up points. I would much rather see some of the other players moved who have been mentioned on the board (Carle,Lupul,Jones,ect). I like the guy. I figured I would get in my thoughts before this thread turns into the " Bash Briere" thread.

Last edited by Mo0sE: 05-29-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Mo0sE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:32 AM
UseYourAllusion

I'd like to see him stay. A healthy Briere brings a type of offensive production noone else on this team is capable of.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:32 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Money
money
money

oh yeah to win the cup.

Huh? He would waive it for "money"?

Am I missing a sarcasm here?

Old
05-29-2009, 11:33 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Huh? He would waive it for "money"?

Am I missing a sarcasm here?
Yeah my bad man.

Old
05-29-2009, 11:38 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Yeah my bad man.
Haha more like my fault, I'm sarcastic a lot, but have the ********* sarcasm detector ever.

Old
05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Haha more like my fault, I'm sarcastic a lot, but have the ********* sarcasm detector ever.
Haha. The internet sucks for detecting sarcasm.

Old
05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Jester

Quote:

I don't need three.

1) The same reason Jeremy Roenick agreed to a deal so the team could sign Forsberg.

I very much doubt that Briere is going to be traded, to this teams detriment. However, it's absurd to act like this crap doesn't happen.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't need three.

1) The same reason Jeremy Roenick agreed to a deal so the team could sign Forsberg.

I very much doubt that Briere is going to be traded, to this teams detriment. However, it's absurd to act like this crap doesn't happen.
JR was past his best and it's not like going to LA is a bad thing, JR has entertainment and TV aspirations and LA isn't a bad place to be for that.

Plus, if your biggest argument for Briere deciding to leave is, "well, JR left 4 years ago", that's pretty weak.

Old
05-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
JR was past his best and it's not like going to LA is a bad thing, JR has entertainment and TV aspirations and LA isn't a bad place to be for that.

Plus, if your biggest argument for Briere deciding to leave is, "well, JR left 4 years ago", that's pretty weak.
How about...1 year ago?

The only way you can view that observation as "pretty weak" is if you're "pretty delusional" about your absolutist claims.

As said, I don't expect him to go anywhere...but you can preach all you want about why he won't go somewhere else, it doesn't even begin to dent the fact that he could go somewhere else...as is proven with regularity in all sports.

Old
05-29-2009, 11:49 AM
MojoJojo

I think it was Brett Hull who said something along the lines that if a team really wanted to trade you, they almost always get you to waive the NTC, because why would you want to stay?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:51 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Quote:
I don't need three.

Jester hit the nail on the head.

If this team wanted him gone, and he became unhappy here, why WOULDNT he waive his NMC? If I'm the highest paid player on a team that doesn't want me, why would I stay? Because I can? If he gets moved, he still gets the same amount of money.

The question is, if he felt unwanted and knew we were interested in trading him, why wouldn't he waive his NMC? So he woulnt have to move again?

He lives in Haddonfield NJ, he could move. I mean, he has only made like $23 mill in the past 3 years.

The best thing for him is that with the NMC, he could literally tell us where HE wants to go next. Any interest in being a Hab? Sure thing Dan. Want to play for Washington Danny Boy and center Ovechkin? No problem.

As I see it, that guy should be HAPPY, even if he isnt wanted here.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
How about...1 year ago?

The only way you can view that observation as "pretty weak" is if you're "pretty delusional" about your absolutist claims.

As said, I don't expect him to go anywhere...but you can preach all you want about why he won't go somewhere else, it doesn't even begin to dent the fact that he could go somewhere else...as is proven with regularity in all sports.
Huh? I'm not even sure who the player in the photo is and I don't feel like Googling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87
Jester hit the nail on the head.

If this team wanted him gone, and he became unhappy here, why WOULDNT he waive his NMC? If I'm the highest paid player on a team that doesn't want me, why would I stay? Because I can? If he gets moved, he still gets the same amount of money.

The question is, if he felt unwanted and knew we were interested in trading him, why wouldn't he waive his NMC? So he woulnt have to move again?

He lives in Haddonfield NJ, he could move. I mean, he has only made like $23 mill in the past 3 years.

The best thing for him is that with the NMC, he could literally tell us where HE wants to go next. Any interest in being a Hab? Sure thing Dan. Want to play for Washington Danny Boy and center Ovechkin? No problem.

As I see it, that guy should be HAPPY, even if he isnt wanted here.
Wow, what a fantastic message to send to future FAs. "Please, sign with us! However, we reserve the right to make you feel unwelcome and to try to force you to move within 2 years of signing your 8 year deal. We're really excited to have you here!"

Sure, the organization could try to force him out, but in the long run, that would be an extraordinarily stupid thing to do. What kind of message do you think that sends to other players who we want to join our team? Next time we go after a big-name FA, you don't think that saga would come into play?

Trying to force Briere to move would be dumber than giving him the NMC in the first place.

Old
05-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Jester

Quote:
Huh? I'm not even sure who the player in the photo is and I don't feel like Googling it.
McCabe...who had little to no interest in leaving Toronto. Waived his NMC to go to Florida.

As to the rest of your point...it's perfectly valid. However, the question that is pertinent and you don't bother to ask yourself: what would you rather do: take a PR hit with some players, or watch as our current young talent goes unsigned because of Briere?

That's the big picture there...but, as said, I will be happily shocked if we actually move Briere.

Old
05-29-2009, 11:59 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Wow, what a fantastic message to send to future FAs. "Please, sign with us! However, we reserve the right to make you feel unwelcome and to try to force you to move within 2 years of signing your 8 year deal. We're really excited to have you here!"

Sure, the organization could try to force him out, but in the long run, that would be an extraordinarily stupid thing to do. What kind of message do you think that sends to other players who we want to join our team? Next time we go after a big-name FA, you don't think that saga would come into play?

Trying to force Briere to move would be dumber than giving him the NMC in the first place.
You don't think players realize that they can be moved or forced out no matter where they go?

All organizations do this.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 12:00 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
McCabe...who had little to no interest in leaving Toronto. Waived his NMC to go to Florida.
The only reason he didn't waive it earlier was because he wanted to receive a signing bonus from the Leafs IIRC.

EDIT: I should add that none of these "reasons" pertain to Briere. So far, you've listed McCabe and JR as examples of guys waiving their clauses. Examples aren't reasons.

Old
05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I'd like to see him stay. A healthy Briere brings a type of offensive production noone else on this team is capable of.
Giroux.

We have enough offense anyway.

Old
05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
You don't think players realize that they can be moved or forced out no matter where they go?

All organizations do this.
Not really, Briere took a bit of a discount to sign here (look at what Drury and Gomez signed for) in return for a longer deal and the comfort of not having to worry about being traded.

That was the bargain the Flyers made. If they force him to waive it, they break that bargain, you think other players wouldn't notice?

One of the reasons Detroit has been so successful is that they resign their players at well-below market price because they build up good will.

Old
05-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

FA's will sign here as long as we can pay them and give them a chance to win. It's a business after all. Players are asked to waive all of the time.

Old
05-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
The only reason he didn't waive it earlier was because he wanted to receive a signing bonus from the Leafs IIRC.
Yeah, it was timed that way because of the signing bonus...but pretty sure McCabe was getting that money no matter what. The deal waited on it because no one else wanted to pay for it...so Toronto swallowed it. It was deferred cash as I recall.

Player. NMC. Waived.

No way Briere would do that?

Quote:
EDIT: I should add that none of these "reasons" pertain to Briere. So far, you've listed McCabe and JR as examples of guys waiving their clauses. Examples aren't reasons.
Examples are examples that disprove idiotic absolute statements of certainty. Unless you have had direct conversations with Briere, you have no clue what personal motivations might lead to or not lead to him waiving his NMC. However, what the examples show is that there are reasons guys waive their NMCs and it happens with some regularity...in all sports.

Why is Briere so different from other players that have waived their NTCs?

Old
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Not really, Briere took a bit of a discount to sign here (look at what Drury and Gomez signed for) in return for a longer deal and the comfort of not having to worry about being traded.

That was the bargain the Flyers made. If they force him to waive it, they break that bargain, you think other players wouldn't notice?

One of the reasons Detroit has been so successful is that they resign their players at well-below market price because they build up good will.
He didn't take a discount. He was given an extra year to keep the cap hit down. Montreal offered $49M. We gave him $52M. Drury received $35M. Gomez received $51.5M

Winning always builds up good will. Briere makes it harder to win because his salary is an albatross to our cap.