Thrashers GM: Kovalchuk staying put

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2009, 09:43 AM
kracker1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Or, perhaps, it's Kovalchuk asking who he should try to recruit for the team next year.
Good point, I bet they coordinated that for sure.

Old
05-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Pav blows please get rid of him.
There are so many things I'd like to say every time I see ASF's ridiculously uninformed and biased posts, but I'd get multiple infractions, and a permenant ban for saying them.

For any of those who post on the official boards, I'm 99.9% convinced that this kid is JA Millionaire.

Old
05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
If Kovalchuk's smart, he says "Okay, next year show me something that proves this team will be competitive in the future" before signing anything.

Old
05-25-2009, 09:35 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Kovy can't do it by himself, I know you guys have some young talent developing and even coming alone nicely, but it's not quite enough yet. I agree, trading a goalie for a forward might be the best idea yet...

Old
05-25-2009, 10:10 PM
atleternal
Sautee Nacoochee

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
If Kovalchuk's smart, he says "Okay, show me the money" before signing anything.
I fixed that for ya.

Old
05-27-2009, 02:20 PM
bgroban

Kovy to the Caps?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Fenway/1/21346

Take it with a grain of salt, but would be interesting. I'd imagine we'd be sending you Semin, one of our top D prospects (Alzner/Carlson) and a 1st round draft pick.

Old
05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
Kovy to the Caps?

Take it with a grain of salt, but would be interesting. I'd imagine we'd be sending you Semin, one of our top D prospects (Alzner/Carlson) and a 1st round draft pick.
Y t?

Old
05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Kovy to the Caps?

Would be interesting for who? Certainly not Thrashers fans.

Just when you think Eklund has hit a new low, he sinks a bit lower.

Last edited by btn: 05-27-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old
05-27-2009, 02:54 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Kovy to the Caps?
I think I'll win the lotto before this happens.

Old
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
kracker1

Quote:
I think I'll win the lotto before this happens.
yuck! These rumors will be the norm if Kovy remains unextended going into next season.

Old
05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker1 View Post
yuck! These rumors will be the norm if Kovy remains unextended going into next season.
In the back of my mind, I know this. As a matter of fact, I'll go a step further. Not only will the rumors continue, they will explode.

Eklund will cream his pants while he creates a new feature for his "season ticket holders" called "Ilya Kovalchuk Rumor Chart," in which he will detail the other 29 teams in the league, the probability of Kovalchuk being traded to one of those teams, and what Atlanta's rumored return in a trade would be.

If Kovalchuk doesn't sign by the time Atlanta starts playing preseason game, we are screwed, and will have to endure many months of rumors until he's either extended or traded.

Old
05-27-2009, 08:39 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Atlanta sends Kovy to my beer league team in exchange for that 50 year old guy who just had ACL surgery, 4 tickets to a minor league baseball game, and a box of Slim Jims....

Someone alert Eklund!

Old
05-27-2009, 08:46 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Kovy to the Caps?

This idea has been thrown around on various boards forever because everyone knows he and Ovy are BFF. If it did happen we'd be looking at a lot closer to the deadline due to cap space and and some nice prospects like Neuvirth+ coming back the other way.

Old
05-27-2009, 10:56 PM
atleternal
Sautee Nacoochee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker1 View Post
Hard to believe its been almost five years since weve had to deal with this ****.

Old
05-28-2009, 12:24 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
In the back of my mind, I know this. As a matter of fact, I'll go a step further. Not only will the rumors continue, they will explode.

Eklund will cream his pants while he creates a new feature for his "season ticket holders" called "Ilya Kovalchuk Rumor Chart," in which he will detail the other 29 teams in the league, the probability of Kovalchuk being traded to one of those teams, and what Atlanta's rumored return in a trade would be.

If Kovalchuk doesn't sign by the time Atlanta starts playing preseason game, we are screwed, and will have to endure many months of rumors until he's either extended or traded.
Yep. Not looking forward to next season unless Kovy is signed heading in

Old
05-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Marsellus Wallace*

As a Leaf fan I enjoyed watching some very spirited games between the Leafs/Thrashers this season.

There is no player I'd rather see Burke sign as a UFA than Kovalchuk. The guy is insane.

I do think he'll be leaving Atlanta though. He's played 4 playoff games in 8 seasons - he can't do it all by himself.

It will be interesting to see what team he's on when the 2010 season starts. He'll get at least $10 million a year wherever he goes

Old
05-29-2009, 02:58 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsellus Wallace View Post
As a Leaf fan I enjoyed watching some very spirited games between the Leafs/Thrashers this season.

There is no player I'd rather see Burke sign as a UFA than Kovalchuk. The guy is insane.

I do think he'll be leaving Atlanta though. He's played 4 playoff games in 8 seasons - he can't do it all by himself.

It will be interesting to see what team he's on when the 2010 season starts. He'll get at least $10 million a year wherever he goes
I don't know about that... I think that is higher than the maximum salary anyway. Probably 7.5 or 8 a season is my guess.

Old
05-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Marsellus Wallace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
I don't know about that... I think that is higher than the maximum salary anyway. Probably 7.5 or 8 a season is my guess.
Huh? Lecavalier just signed his new deal which kicks in on july 1st. For the first 7 years he's getting $10 million a season. It is currently not higher than the max. salary but it could change if the cap goes down.

Ovechkin currently makes $9 million a year

Old
05-29-2009, 11:46 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsellus Wallace View Post

You and most fans of every other team think he will leave. Wishful thinking/hoping for the most part. Don't get me wrong, if I were on the other side of this I'd probably think the same way. So it's hard to get upset when somebody mentions it. But after hearing it a few thousand times (and that's not much of an exaggeration, if any at all), it does tend to wear thin.

Don't have the first clue if they are close to signing him or not. The latest rumor was a two year deal. We shall see. I'll just be relieved when something happens; ripping the heart out of the franchise would obviously be devastating, but to constantly have just the possibility hanging over your head for so long gets really annoying.

If I respond at all, I try not to be snippy. Most of the time that works, others...

Closed Thread