HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

ya right

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2004, 10:06 PM
mr gib

vCash: 500
ya right

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1890682

Old
10-02-2004, 12:19 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Thats great. The Isles owners want to spend $200 mil to develop the great lighthouse. Another arena deal in coordination with a big real estate project. Long term signs must all point to growth.

Old
10-02-2004, 01:28 PM
mr gib

- and this is one of the team's screaming bloody murder -

Old
10-02-2004, 07:45 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
- and this is one of the team's screaming bloody murder -
? You mean Wang should be ok with losing money if he has enough to invest wisely in something else? That makes sense. Uh..

Old
10-02-2004, 09:22 PM
ceber

Hotel, apartments, offices, restaurants.. he'd probably make enough to be able to support a money-losing business if he got that thing going. Heck, maybe even a hockey team.

Old
10-03-2004, 11:32 AM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Hotel, apartments, offices, restaurants.. he'd probably make enough to be able to support a money-losing business if he got that thing going. Heck, maybe even a hockey team.
amen

Old
10-04-2004, 01:26 PM
ceber

Quote:
'Course, he could scrap the team, and make even more money. If I were him, that's what I'd do. Why should I subsidize the sport?

Old
10-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Wisent

Quote:
'Course, he could scrap the team, and make even more money. If I were him, that's what I'd do. Why should I subsidize the sport?
Because sport can be an inspriation. And before you ask, I'm not living in a dream world.

Old
10-04-2004, 01:53 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
? You mean Wang should be ok with losing money if he has enough to invest wisely in something else? That makes sense. Uh..
well no - let's just say his timing is interesting - that's all -

Old
10-04-2004, 01:54 PM
mr gib

Quote:
probably take a while now

Old
10-04-2004, 01:57 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
why would he be plowing money into the arena if there was no future? - just a question - with many answer's of course

Old
10-04-2004, 02:04 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent
Because sport can be an inspriation. And before you ask, I'm not living in a dream world.
Ok, let's subsidize the sport. (insert tongue in cheek) Let's see.. probably should start with government, because when it comes to subsidizing, nobody's better. Ok, well, government already does, with the big tax breaks and low or no interest loans to the teams. Then there's the fans. We're essentially the ones holding the bag for the government subsidies. Also, we do pay quite a bit for tickets, and when bad beer costs 5-6 bucks that's _got_ to be a subsidy of some sort. Then there's the owners. Well, if you believe them their already subsidizing things significantly. Who's left? Oh yes, the players.

Old
10-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Ok, let's subsidize the sport. (insert tongue in cheek) Let's see.. probably should start with government, because when it comes to subsidizing, nobody's better. Ok, well, government already does, with the big tax breaks and low or no interest loans to the teams. Then there's the fans. We're essentially the ones holding the bag for the government subsidies. Also, we do pay quite a bit for tickets, and when bad beer costs 5-6 bucks that's _got_ to be a subsidy of some sort. Then there's the owners. Well, if you believe them their already subsidizing things significantly. Who's left? Oh yes, the players.
I don't really know if the owners subsidize the sport significantly. But as long as owners can afford to, they should subsidize the sport. Surely they are not all on the verge of bankruptcy.

Closed Thread