HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

ya right

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2004, 10:06 PM
  #1
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
ya right

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1890682

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 12:19 PM
  #2
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga
 
thinkwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,266
vCash: 500
Thats great. The Isles owners want to spend $200 mil to develop the great lighthouse. Another arena deal in coordination with a big real estate project. Long term signs must all point to growth.

thinkwild is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 01:28 PM
  #3
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
- and this is one of the team's screaming bloody murder -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 07:45 PM
  #4
quat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,918
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gib
- and this is one of the team's screaming bloody murder -
? You mean Wang should be ok with losing money if he has enough to invest wisely in something else? That makes sense. Uh..

quat is offline  
Old
10-02-2004, 09:22 PM
  #5
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Hotel, apartments, offices, restaurants.. he'd probably make enough to be able to support a money-losing business if he got that thing going. Heck, maybe even a hockey team.

ceber is offline  
Old
10-03-2004, 11:32 AM
  #6
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Hotel, apartments, offices, restaurants.. he'd probably make enough to be able to support a money-losing business if he got that thing going. Heck, maybe even a hockey team.
amen

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 01:26 PM
  #7
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Hotel, apartments, offices, restaurants.. he'd probably make enough to be able to support a money-losing business if he got that thing going. Heck, maybe even a hockey team.
'Course, he could scrap the team, and make even more money. If I were him, that's what I'd do. Why should I subsidize the sport?

ceber is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 01:37 PM
  #8
Wisent
Registered User
 
Wisent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mannheim
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
'Course, he could scrap the team, and make even more money. If I were him, that's what I'd do. Why should I subsidize the sport?
Because sport can be an inspriation. And before you ask, I'm not living in a dream world.

Wisent is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 01:53 PM
  #9
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
? You mean Wang should be ok with losing money if he has enough to invest wisely in something else? That makes sense. Uh..
well no - let's just say his timing is interesting - that's all -

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 01:54 PM
  #10
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
'Course, he could scrap the team, and make even more money. If I were him, that's what I'd do. Why should I subsidize the sport?
probably take a while now

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 01:57 PM
  #11
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
? You mean Wang should be ok with losing money if he has enough to invest wisely in something else? That makes sense. Uh..
why would he be plowing money into the arena if there was no future? - just a question - with many answer's of course

mr gib is offline  
Old
10-04-2004, 02:04 PM
  #12
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent
Because sport can be an inspriation. And before you ask, I'm not living in a dream world.
Ok, let's subsidize the sport. (insert tongue in cheek) Let's see.. probably should start with government, because when it comes to subsidizing, nobody's better. Ok, well, government already does, with the big tax breaks and low or no interest loans to the teams. Then there's the fans. We're essentially the ones holding the bag for the government subsidies. Also, we do pay quite a bit for tickets, and when bad beer costs 5-6 bucks that's _got_ to be a subsidy of some sort. Then there's the owners. Well, if you believe them their already subsidizing things significantly. Who's left? Oh yes, the players.

ceber is offline  
Old
10-05-2004, 07:23 AM
  #13
Wisent
Registered User
 
Wisent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mannheim
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Ok, let's subsidize the sport. (insert tongue in cheek) Let's see.. probably should start with government, because when it comes to subsidizing, nobody's better. Ok, well, government already does, with the big tax breaks and low or no interest loans to the teams. Then there's the fans. We're essentially the ones holding the bag for the government subsidies. Also, we do pay quite a bit for tickets, and when bad beer costs 5-6 bucks that's _got_ to be a subsidy of some sort. Then there's the owners. Well, if you believe them their already subsidizing things significantly. Who's left? Oh yes, the players.
I don't really know if the owners subsidize the sport significantly. But as long as owners can afford to, they should subsidize the sport. Surely they are not all on the verge of bankruptcy.

Wisent is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.