HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-11: THE APOCALYPSE (all talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2009, 04:06 PM
massivegoonery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Now my question is how much do you think Dave Bolland and Cam Barker will command for their contracts? I was guessing somewhere in the 2-3 million range. Then again, Byfuglien did get 3 mil, so something higher isn't out of the question. What do you guys think?
I'd put Bolland between $1.5mm and $2mm and Barker between $2mm and $3mm.

Old
05-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
When you're making a projection of future events, it's very hard to make an assumption of something changing significantly. Therefore projections tend to take recent performance too seriously when extrapolating into the future.
Ironically, they are now saying that revenue is trending higher than expected and the cap will probably stay the same for the upcoming season.

The apocalypse season is still projected to be lower - it almost has to be - but 50m is looking more and more unlikely.

Old
05-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
I'd put Bolland between $1.5mm and $2mm and Barker between $2mm and $3mm.
Barker had better not be asking for anywhere near 3m.

Old
05-30-2009, 07:57 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I think anything more than 3 would be absurd. We pay Seabrook 3.5, and he is a horse in the defensive zone and adequate offensively while Barker is so-so in both zones. I posted a value of thread in the Free Agent section and the consensus seems to be that someone will offer him somewhere in the 3.5 range, which does not bode well for us.

Old
05-31-2009, 04:07 AM
Kostik20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Barker had better not be asking for anywhere near 3m.
Agreed...I'd be happy with Barker taking something near the 2.5 mark....he's definitely someone we can use on the PP, he was one of the most dominant PP point men in the league this season....

And Bolland, I would be happy with something around the $2M mark....he's worth a little more then that IMO, but with the Cap most likely going down, and with Toews and Kanes Entry Levels are up, and Seabrook is not too far from his contract year either....taking that into consideration, signing Bolland for around $2M would be ideal IMO...hopefully no team throws anything bigger his way, I wouldnt mind him in our lineup for a couple more seasons....keep him with Havlat....which is a different subject....

Havlat better get a new contact here...he himself says he would love to stay in Chicago for a good while...that might mean he'll be willing to take a small discount...he's one of the top ten players in the league......when healthy...which is a key part in consideration for a contract with Havlat...hopefully Dale resigns him, and hopefully he can stay healthy and be a key part in our lineup for years to come....

Old
06-05-2009, 09:44 AM
HaliFawks

I could handle seeing Versteeg go, over Barker. I agree that Versteeg's value is at a peaka nd I would be interested to see what we could get back in return.

Old
06-06-2009, 09:02 PM
willfenix

Send a message via AIM to willfenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik20 View Post
Agreed...I'd be happy with Barker taking something near the 2.5 mark....he's definitely someone we can use on the PP, he was one of the most dominant PP point men in the league this season....

And Bolland, I would be happy with something around the $2M mark....he's worth a little more then that IMO, but with the Cap most likely going down, and with Toews and Kanes Entry Levels are up, and Seabrook is not too far from his contract year either....taking that into consideration, signing Bolland for around $2M would be ideal IMO...hopefully no team throws anything bigger his way, I wouldnt mind him in our lineup for a couple more seasons....keep him with Havlat....which is a different subject....

Havlat better get a new contact here...he himself says he would love to stay in Chicago for a good while...that might mean he'll be willing to take a small discount...he's one of the top ten players in the league......when healthy...which is a key part in consideration for a contract with Havlat...hopefully Dale resigns him, and hopefully he can stay healthy and be a key part in our lineup for years to come....
They need to lock Bolly in for the long haul. He's a long-term 2nd line center solution and is only going to get better. If you lose him, you've got a huge spot to fill and it would be somebody older and more expensive. His priority should also be slightly higher than Barker's contract-wise IMO. Bolly at 2.5/4 would be worth it.

Old
06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
brtriad

I also agree that Bolland is our #1 priority in free agency. I'd like to see him get locked up for 5-6 years, even if that means we have to pay him 2.5-3 million. He'll be worth much than that by the time he plays through his contract.

I'm a little worried about Havlat though. That concussion in the playoffs probably made the Hawks more weary of signing him to a long-term deal. A 2-3 year deal is seeming more likely if he get's signed.

Old
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Connell

Tkk

After Hossa deal, Tallon said that the core will get taken care off. So how is he gonna sign Toews, Kane and Keith?

Cap situation for the 2010-11 season is this:

Sharp(3.9)- Bolland(3.375) – Byfuglien(3)
Hossa(5.23)- xxxxx- Kopecky(1.2)
xxxxx -xxxxx - xxxxx
xxxxx-xxxxxx - xxxxxxx

Seabrook(3.5)-Campbell(7.14)
Sopel(2.333)-xxxxxx
xxxxx-xxxxxx

Huet(5.625)
Niemi (?)

= 35.303

Let's say cap for the 2010-11 season is about 56M. That leaves 20.697 for those three players. Now, let's assume that each of then signs deal thats cap hit is 5M.

Hossa(5.23)- Toews(5) - Kane(5)
Sharp(3.9)- Bolland(3.375) – Byfuglien(3)
xxxxx-xxxxxx - Kopecky (1.2)
xxxxx -xxxxx - xxxxxx

Seabrook(3.5)-Keith(5)
Sopel(2.333)-Campbell(7.14)
xxxxx-xxxxxx

Huet(5.625)
Niemi (?)

That leaves only about 5.679M for remaining players. For the five forwards and two defencemen. Is that really enough? Or is he gonna trade Campbell or Huet? I don't think Blackhawks can sign seven players with that remaining money. There have to to be trades, TKK have to take huge home discount or someone of the core (TKK) is goner.

Old
07-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

6m for Toews and 6m for Kane more likely.

And yes there is enough space to sign them. Sopel will be off the books by then, one way or another. If more room is needed, then it will be found. The core is not going anywhere.

The only real danger was if the cap collapsed for two straight years, and even then the dire situation on many other teams would have prevented armageddon from happening. Since the cap appears to be stable or growing, that no longer seems to be a concern.

Worry about losing Kane, Toews, or Keith when it actually happens.

Old
07-01-2009, 05:36 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connell View Post
After Hossa deal, Tallon said that the core will get taken care off. So how is he gonna sign Toews, Kane and Keith?

You're the math genius, why don't you tell us?

Old
07-05-2009, 01:44 AM
BuffBomb33

I think alot of the missing pieces, could be found in our own farm system, Aliu is a few years out but rushing him next year wouldnt be out of the picture, Skille will def be up here in the next 1-2 years. And we have numerous other players such as Beach, Olsen, Makarov, and many others. Toews, Kane, and Keith will be signed, the only one that be left out is Keith... which would be a shame. But, it is not the end of the world...

Plus the Numbers will be Different on the Hossa Contract, i keep seeing its front loaded, i am trying to find the Actual Numbers of his contract, but i cant seem to do so. Only thing i have seen is 56 Mil in the first 7 years and the rest over the next 5. And that comes out to an Avg. of 8 mil per year for the first 7 years.

Last edited by BuffBomb33: 07-05-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
zac

One thing to keep in mind is the genius of McDonough and his marketing power. We've seen his ability to market already, and Kane and Toews are easily marketable stars that can make a lot of money in endorsement deals. I'd be willing to argue that there are only 4-5 teams that could even rival the hawks in potential big money sponsorship deals. Simply put Kane and Toews would have to receive a huge deal from a smaller market team to offset the potential endorsement deals.

If Kane and Toews really want to be Hawks they will find a way to make it work. You can even add Duncan into that fold as well. Tallon hasn't shown superb cap management yet, but I have a hard time seeing how he hasnt' planned for this already.

Than again the recent developments dont' bode all that well for that either.

Old
07-07-2009, 11:24 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBomb33 View Post
Plus the Numbers will be Different on the Hossa Contract, i keep seeing its front loaded, i am trying to find the Actual Numbers of his contract, but i cant seem to do so. Only thing i have seen is 56 Mil in the first 7 years and the rest over the next 5. And that comes out to an Avg. of 8 mil per year for the first 7 years.
Who cares if it's front loaded? Are you Hossa's financial planner?

Old
07-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
I expect Toews to get a similar contract as Richards and Kane as similar one to Carter. Keith I expect to sign a deal around 5.5 a yr cap hit. I expect Hjalmarsson to get a raise up to 1.5 a yr if he plays well next season.

2010-2011 Chicago Blackhawks
Sharp (3.9) - Toews (5.75) - Kane (5)
Beach (1.275) - Bolland (3.375) - Hossa (5.233)
Versteeg (3.083) - Aliu (.875) - Byfuglien (3.0)
Kopecky (1.2) - Brophey (.850) - Brouwer (1.0)
(34.541)

Keith (5.5) - Seabrook (3.5)
Campbell (7.140) - Hjalmarsson (1.5)
Barker (3.083) - Brennan (.750)
(21.473)

Huet (5.625)
Niemi or Crawford at (900k)
(6.525)

Departing UFA's
LW Andrew Ladd
LW Ben Eager
C Colin Fraser
RW Adam Burish
D Aaron Johnson
D Jordan Hendry

Coming up from farm to replace them
LW Kyle Beach
C Akim Aliu
C Evan Brophey
D Mike Brennan

I may be off on Beach's cap hit but I believe it is similar to Skille's.

Now that would make the cap for Hawks 62.539

We will have to move 3 of our 3mil + players. To make it work if we cant Dump Campbell's contract.

Do my numbers and lineup look right?

Old
07-08-2009, 11:31 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

This will be interesting....Nhlscap has them committed to 43.1M for 7F, 4D and 2G

Which means if we see a cap drop to about $55M (i don't believe the doom and gloom of most), then even if you get rid of Sopel that's only about 14M to sign at least 8 players, including Kane, Toews, Keith, Skille, Hjarnsson.

I smell a 20yr @ 60M contract coming up for Kane and Toews

Old
07-12-2009, 06:05 PM
BuffBomb33

Quote:
Who cares if it's front loaded? Are you Hossa's financial planner?
wouldnt that mean a larger cap hit for those years its front loaded, meaning more of a cap hit than 5.23 mil.

Old
07-12-2009, 06:27 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffBomb33 View Post
wouldnt that mean a larger cap hit for those years its front loaded, meaning more of a cap hit than 5.23 mil.
Nah, cap hit = total salary / total number of years. It's 5.23 or whatever the whole way through.

Old
07-13-2009, 12:51 PM
hawksfan50

To say that NO TEAMS willbe offering up RFA offer sheets next year if the cap drops that much is not correct:

There are always some teams with cap room -will they spend it is another question...TRUE the list of "ususual suspects" willbe cap-constrained but let is say at least 5 teams have the caproom then (even with a cap drop) to spend at least 5-7million per to land a prize UFA/RFA in a buyer's market...

Now because of no draft compensation--any top UFa';s would attract interest first --so if Kovlachuk came onto the market surely 1 of these 5 bites (assuming he'd leave ATL to go there).

So--let's say 3 UFa's go first--leving just 2 teams with cap room and the will to try to land the best 2 RFa's..

Now let's say the Hawks are smartenough to lock-up Toews before he hets to RFa... that leaves Keith+Kane...as the RFA prizes...
Would the 2 remaining cap-capable and willing teams go after each of trhem? Would they be the 2 best RFa's in the market or are other comparable players up for grabs?

IF K+K are the 2 best RFA's remaining,then in this scenario ,we could lose 1 if we can only afford to match one of the offer sheets.

I would not say it is a certainty that no team can afford to be in the offer-sheet bid wars next year..If only 1 or 2 are there,we could lose one of K or K...

Old
07-13-2009, 02:31 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
To say that NO TEAMS willbe offering up RFA offer sheets next year if the cap drops that much is not correct:

There are always some teams with cap room -will they spend it is another question...TRUE the list of "ususual suspects" willbe cap-constrained but let is say at least 5 teams have the caproom then (even with a cap drop) to spend at least 5-7million per to land a prize UFA/RFA in a buyer's market...

Now because of no draft compensation--any top UFa';s would attract interest first --so if Kovlachuk came onto the market surely 1 of these 5 bites (assuming he'd leave ATL to go there).

So--let's say 3 UFa's go first--leving just 2 teams with cap room and the will to try to land the best 2 RFa's..

Now let's say the Hawks are smartenough to lock-up Toews before he hets to RFa... that leaves Keith+Kane...as the RFA prizes...
Would the 2 remaining cap-capable and willing teams go after each of trhem? Would they be the 2 best RFa's in the market or are other comparable players up for grabs?

IF K+K are the 2 best RFA's remaining,then in this scenario ,we could lose 1 if we can only afford to match one of the offer sheets.

I would not say it is a certainty that no team can afford to be in the offer-sheet bid wars next year..If only 1 or 2 are there,we could lose one of K or K...
All of your assumptions are suspect. Every single one of them.

Go stand in the corner.

Old
07-13-2009, 03:56 PM
brtriad

That's why no one respects outsiders opinions on the contract statuses of Toews, Keith, and Kane. This is true even if their name is "Hawksfan50." That's just like "Flapjack" being the resident Blackhawks expert.

Old
07-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Wild fan here:

Just a thought. Why not trade Seabrook (very good contract, very good trade value), Sharp (also very good trade value) and Byfuglien (harder to move, but could possibly)

Assuming no one wants Campbell and Huet due to their large contracts and due to the salary cap predicted to take a large hit.

Assuming the average cap hit between the big three is 6mil each, your top six will have Kane, Toews, Bolland, Ladd, Versteeg, Hossa. Your top 4 will be Campbell, Keith, Barker, Sopell.

That will give you ample cap space (I believe, perhaps not) to fill up the bottom six and bottom 4 (from the trades of the 3 guys I mentioned or from call ups, or cheap FA)

While the team won't have the depth as you have had, the top 6 forwards and top 4 d-men will still be strong and you will still have solid goaltending. If the cap hit is still too high (not really calculating anything), you could trade Sopel or Versteeg the following season. You also don't have to worry about the raises Seabrook and Byfuglien would ask for.

Old
07-14-2009, 10:59 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Wild fan here:

Just a thought. Why not trade Seabrook ...
Stopped reading there.

Old
07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
crimsonking

Quote:
Stopped reading there.
You're lucky. I read up until he mentioned our top-4 D-men would include Sopel.

Old
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonking View Post
You're lucky. I read up until he mentioned our top-4 D-men would include Sopel.
Quote:
Stopped reading there.

Closed Thread