HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Semin (with conditions)

Old
05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
alphahelix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
I think Cogs/Eberle/40th overall is as far as they'd be willing to go. (or even more likely, Cogs/10th overall without Eberle. They want to keep him. If the caps would settle for Nash, Brule or Schremp instead that would also make this deal go. Cogs/Brule/10th or Cogs/Nash/10th for example.)

The caps winding up with Hejduk/Cogs/Eberle seems pretty heavy. Colorado might be willing to give up Hejduk for the 10th overall+ but I'm not sure if Neuvirth and a salary dump of Chris Clark is enough to grease those wheels.
I think that WAS could make this deal happen if they wanted to but it would have to be tweaked. They could probably dump even more salary than just Clark's if they worked it properly.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 04:48 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
First of all, we're taking clark back now too? No thanks. Secondly, he has 2 years left on his deal not 1.

It's not really that simple. Edmonton doesn't have THAT much cap space kicking around that they could afford to take a salary dump + over pay for semin.

Right now we're at 43 million commited. Giving away cogs (1.3 mill) and taking back clark (2.6 mill) and semin (4.6 mill) puts us at ~49 million. That leaves 7 million to sign a legit starting goalie, re-sign grebby and smid, and resign a top 6 forward to replace kotalik.

Just my opinion, but I would not touch this as Edmonton.
I crossed my wires. Clark was going to the Avs in my proposed deal, not the Oil. Disregard my prior post.

Last edited by CapsWolverinesUSA: 05-29-2009 at 04:58 PM.
CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 04:52 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
First of all, we're taking clark back now too? No thanks. Secondly, he has 2 years left on his deal not 1.

It's not really that simple. Edmonton doesn't have THAT much cap space kicking around that they could afford to take a salary dump + over pay for semin.

Right now we're at 43 million commited. Giving away cogs (1.3 mill) and taking back clark (2.6 mill) and semin (4.6 mill) puts us at ~49 million. That leaves 7 million to sign a legit starting goalie, re-sign grebby and smid, and resign a top 6 forward to replace kotalik.

Just my opinion, but I would not touch this as Edmonton.
Looking over the EDM $'s, you have many vets on long term deals that leave with you almost very little wriggle room to get the payroll down in 2010-11 when the cap is likely to be sub of $55m. Both Gagner and Cogs are RFAs in 2010.

That means your starting goalie will have to be cheap (ie, your own JDD, or Clemmenson, Anderson, etc) or one of those big contracts is also going to have to be moved.

Therefore, yes, EDM is not in a position to take on salary past this coming season.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 04:54 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
I think that WAS could make this deal happen if they wanted to but it would have to be tweaked. They could probably dump even more salary than just Clark's if they worked it properly.
I would think Nash in place of Eberle would be fine, though I do wonder whether Eberle is as big an organizational priority with Semin in the fold. Eberle's trademark is his scoring ability, no? With Cogs out and Semin in, doesn't Nash at the center position become a bigger area of need? Maybe not.

Old
05-29-2009, 04:59 PM
PoolChamp

Bieksa, Hansen, 2nd for Semin, Clark

PoolChamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
The pieces might have to be fiddled with a bit, but the Semin for Bieksa basis is a good one, IMO.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 05:05 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Someone else proposed the same deal, except Grabner instead of Hansen. Pretty much a wash.

Overall, I kinda like it. Its about the best 2-team offer I've seen.

Old
05-29-2009, 05:09 PM
alphahelix

Still a lot of natural centers in Edmonton (seems like everyone plays center), for example: Horcoff, Gagner, O' Sullivan, Brodziak, Pouliot, Schremp, Brule -- and for younger up-and-comers Kytnar and Hartikainen have turned it up a notch this year and Stone, Potulny and O' Marra are still in the system. Eberle is too dear to the org, and while Nash is a high quality prospect he would be the orgs choice if to go if necessary, partly due to his being on a slow development path at Cornell (though he is MVP there).

If it was Nash in the deal, I think we could consider it done. (Edit: But you might have to sweeten the pot for COL a little. Neuvirth + 10th might not be enough for Hejduk + salary dump.)

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Someone else proposed the same deal, except Grabner instead of Hansen. Pretty much a wash.

Overall, I kinda like it. Its about the best 2-team offer I've seen.
How about

Wash:
Horton
Stewart

Fla:
Semin
Pothier

I was going to say Horton and Olesz, but I noticed you want a bit of cap relief so I put Stewart. He has size,pretty decent speed,can hit and put in ugly and pretty goals. Horton gives you the 2nd line center you need, or 1st line winger for Ovie.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 05:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
How about

Wash:
Horton
Stewart

Fla:
Semin
Pothier

I was going to say Horton and Olesz, but I noticed you want a bit of cap relief so I put Stewart. He has size,pretty decent speed,can hit and put in ugly and pretty goals. Horton gives you the 2nd line center you need, or 1st line winger for Ovie.
I don't think he gets dealt in the division, if even the conference.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Jwm1986

how about something like

Jack Johnson
Jarett Stoll
Brian Boyle
2nd round pick

for

Semin
and whatever salary dump you want

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 06:15 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm1986 View Post
how about something like

Jack Johnson
Jarett Stoll
Brian Boyle
2nd round pick

for

Semin
and whatever salary dump you want
The Kings were one of the first teams I looked at (for cap reasons), but I think we need a slightly more established player than JMFJ (who I saw play 50+ times during his four years in Ann Arbor and adore). I am not a fan of Boyle at all. Stoll isn't 2nd line caliber, IMO.

I love everything the Kings are doing in terms of building that organization, and I know they need a player like Semin, but I don't think the Kings match well with Washington from Washington's perspective.

Old
05-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
The Kings were one of the first teams I looked at (for cap reasons), but I think we need a slightly more established player than JMFJ (who I saw play 50+ times during his four years in Ann Arbor and adore). I am not a fan of Boyle at all. Stoll isn't 2nd line caliber, IMO.

I love everything the Kings are doing in terms of building that organization, and I know they need a player like Semin, but I don't think the Kings match well with Washington from Washington's perspective.

I could rebut with:

5th overall
Michal Handzus
Teddy purcell
2nd rounder

Old
05-29-2009, 06:33 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
I could rebut with:

5th overall
Michal Handzus
Teddy purcell
2nd rounder
See, that package could net you all sorts of good stuff all sorts of teams. But the Caps would need to involve a 3rd team in order to get what they need. We don't need youngsters like Purcell. He has no place on our team. And Handzus is only a marginal 2nd line player in my eyes and makes too much money for too many years. He's just not good enough. The #5 pick is incredibly valuable, but basically we would need to take Purcell and the #5 and flip them for someone who really fills our need -- a top pairing defensemen or a really solid top-6 winger.

It just doesn't fit.

Old
05-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
See, that package could net you all sorts of good stuff all sorts of teams. But the Caps would need to involve a 3rd team in order to get what they need. We don't need youngsters like Purcell. He has no place on our team. And Handzus is only a marginal 2nd line player in my eyes and makes too much money for too many years. He's just not good enough. The #5 pick is incredibly valuable, but basically we would need to take Purcell and the #5 and flip them for someone who really fills our need -- a top pairing defensemen or a really solid top-6 winger.

It just doesn't fit.
fair enough.. id say frolov would be great for you guys, but that wouldnt make sense for us..

what about oscar moller.. does he interest you? or kyle quincey?

Old
05-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Gilbert+ Nilsson+ Cogs for Semin and Clark

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
If JMFJ is actually going to be moved, why not Semin + Clarke for JMFJ (+)?

Semin would fit in with LA and Clarke is a good veteran leader for the young guys there for the year left on his contract. JJ and Green on the Caps blue line would be a heck of a starting point with Ovie and Backstrom up front. The Caps core becomes Ovie, Backstrom, Green, Johnson, Varlamov, no?
Yes, but how about a different dump then a Clark, he would likely be stuck in the minors or scratched since he isnt needed by us right now.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 06:53 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
fair enough.. id say frolov would be great for you guys, but that wouldnt make sense for us..

what about oscar moller.. does he interest you? or kyle quincey?
I really like Moller. But obviously he can't be penciled in to our 2nd line yet.

Let me think about how I can involve the Kings in a 3-way trade that works for us....

...ok,

LAK Gets
Alex Semin
Brian Pothier (1 yr salary dump $2.5m)

COL Gets
#5 overall
Michael Neuvirth
Chris Clark (1yr salary dump $2.6m)

WAS Gets
Milan Hejduk
Oscar Moller

I'm pretty darn sure the Avs would do this. I like it from the Caps perspective because of the salary clearance that both teams can help with. Do the Kings sign up?

Old
05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemster83 View Post
Gilbert+ Nilsson+ Cogs for Semin and Clark
I think this deal trumps the Bieksa deal that has been put forward. My only thought is that it also is going to be a lot more salary after next season when these RFAs are up for new contracts.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 07:05 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
I think this deal trumps the Bieksa deal that has been put forward. My only thought is that it also is going to be a lot more salary after next season when these RFAs are up for new contracts.
I like Gilbert and Cogs. Nillson does nothing for us. He's a 3rd liner at best and we have too many of those sorts of players already. At $2m, he's a cap drain. The offer is better without him. I'd just replace him with a 2nd rounder.

I'm just not sure if Gilbert is a great fit for the Caps. We don't need an offensive defensemen. We need a physical defensive defensemen. Bieksa is perfect. Gilbert isn't.

It's an interesting proposal though.

Old
05-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
I really like Moller. But obviously he can't be penciled in to our 2nd line yet.

Let me think about how I can involve the Kings in a 3-way trade that works for us....

...ok,

LAK Gets
Alex Semin

COL Gets
#5 overall
Michael Neuvirth

WAS Gets
Milan Hejduk
Oscar Moller

I'm pretty darn sure the Avs would do this. I like it from the Caps perspective because of the salary clearance that both teams can help with. Do the Kings sign up?
i can speak for myself and would do this..i really think oscar moller will be a very good nhler.. but semin would be great with us.. i say yes

id say the avs would jump all over that.. there in transition phase and i would expect they would jump for joy if they could get another top 5 in this deep draft..

Old
05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:

...ok,

LAK Gets
Alex Semin

COL Gets
#5 overall
Michael Neuvirth

WAS Gets
Milan Hejduk
Oscar Moller

Colorado makes out like a bandit on this deal. They do lose a very good one-way player in Hejduk, but at 33 he isn't going to get better. But picking up the 5th overall to go along with there 3rd would definitely help fast track their rebuild. Although Clark is still contracted for two years. What is the prospective ceiling on Neuvirth? Is he expected to be the starter of the future the Avs have been desperately looking for, or another Budaj?

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:33 PM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
Colorado makes out like a bandit on this deal. They do lose a very good one-way player in Hejduk, but at 33 he isn't going to get better. But picking up the 5th overall to go along with there 3rd would definitely help fast track their rebuild. Although Clark is still contracted for two years. What is the prospective ceiling on Neuvirth? Is he expected to be the starter of the future the Avs have been desperately looking for, or another Budaj?
Neuvirth and Varlamov were supposed to be the tandem of the future, but with Varly coming to the party a bit early, it looks like Neuvirth COULD be expendable. i'm not so sure GMGM will look to trade Neuvirth until he is absolutely sure about Varly and his ability to be the #1 guy for a full year.

Neuvirth has a very high ceiling and should be, if he develops correctly, into a very good starting goaltender in this league. He is in the AHL Calder Cup Finals right now and his GAA is right at 2.00/game and a +.920 save %. he's gonna be good.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:49 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:

...ok,

LAK Gets
Alex Semin

COL Gets
#5 overall
Michael Neuvirth

WAS Gets
Milan Hejduk
Oscar Moller

Unbelievable...serioiusly, unbelievable.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbags View Post
to wash - little, valabik
to atlanta - semin, pothier
if the thrashers go after semin i'd rather try and hang onto little whule doing it or else they're just right back where they started except with 3 lws and no rws instead of 2 lws and 1 rw

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote