Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2009, 08:29 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
DW: Duchene, Kane, or Schenn will be the pick at #4

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...thrashers_blog

Interesting, MSP appears to be completely out of the mix....just after I(with Majik1987) drafted him in the mod mock draft :laugh

You would have to think Kane is the heavy favorite provided Duchene goes as predicted at #3.

Old
05-26-2009, 08:58 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...thrashers_blog

Interesting, MSP appears to be completely out of the mix....just after I(with Majik1987) drafted him in the mod mock draft :laugh

You would have to think Kane is the heavy favorite provided Duchene goes as predicted at #3.
Yep, if Waddell is speaking what he thinks, MP-S is out. Previous interviews have also hinted that he will not go with a Swede. I do feel the likelihood of a move down is pretty high. Else, it looks like Kane.

I was a bit dismayed that Vivlamore had Kane listed at 160lbs beneath his picture in the newspaper article, as I read that he had bulked up in the last year to as much as the mid 180s. But since myself and only a couple of other ppl still subscribe to the print version of the paper, there's no real harm done.

Old
05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
SFKingshomer

Leave Schenn for LA please.

Old
05-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Lux Aurumque*

See avatar.

Old
05-27-2009, 05:10 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Interesting. Duchense if available is a no brainer. However if he is gone before pick 4 then I don't know why DW is reluctant to consider MSP. The people at the prospect board seem to think that MSP is a better talent than Kane.

Is he trying to play mind games with the other GMs who are high on MSP and maybe looking to trade up to Atlanta's pick.

Old
05-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Is he trying to play mind games with the other GMs who are high on MSP and maybe looking to trade up to Atlanta's pick.
DW has always gone into the draft with misdirection. He even publicly waffled a bit on Kovalchuk (despite his overwhelming giddiness), so I wouldn't listen to what he says. Expressions, editorials, expugnations, exclamations, enfadulations, it's all just talk. Elephant talk.

Old
05-27-2009, 09:06 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
DW has always gone into the draft with misdirection. He even publicly waffled a bit on Kovalchuk (despite his overwhelming giddiness), so I wouldn't listen to what he says. Expressions, editorials, expugnations, exclamations, enfadulations, it's all just talk. Elephant talk.
Agreed. Looks like he's trying to get a feel for what some other GMs are thinking by throwing this nugget out. Otherwise, why come out and say it now.

However, for the draft geeks around here who aren't that familiar with his MO, it might be interesting to see their postings in light of this false positive.
Even through his usual double-speak, I always got the feeling that Kane was his target (if the first three go as planned).

Old
05-27-2009, 09:36 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

When he has been this high up, when is the last time he went sideways on us?

I think he was always clear about the Lehtonen pick. He certainly did not waiver when it came to Bogosian last year.

This isn't a trade deadline type of doublespeak out of him, I don't think....

Old
05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
When he has been this high up, when is the last time he went sideways on us?

I think he was always clear about the Lehtonen pick. He certainly did not waiver when it came to Bogosian last year.

This isn't a trade deadline type of doublespeak out of him, I don't think....
This doesn't look to be a snake oil pitch. The guys he mentioned are very likely to be the best ones available at #4; not really a big revelation to anyone.

Maybe he isn't high on the Swede, or maybe he left him out to see if any other GMs are interested in possibly moving up. I just think he's trying to feel out who really wants to move up and what they might give up to get it. It's the timing of this statment more than anything for me.

I could be reading more into this than there really is, but then again I don't think that it's a prelude to something huge. Just testing the waters.

Old
05-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
I think he was always clear about the Lehtonen pick.
Actually I think the record will show that he was ambiguous enough about Lehtonen that the Blue Jackets gave us an extra pick just to make sure we would take the guy our scouts already liked best.

Old
05-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Mr Underhill

Just throwing this out there...but doesnt it seem obvious that Kane will be selected. Not only is he highly talented, but he would be a perfect black ambassador for hockey and the Thrashers in Atlanta.

Last edited by Mr Underhill: 05-29-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old
05-29-2009, 12:06 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
Just throwing this out there...but doesnt it seem obvious that Kane will be selected. Not only is he highly talented, but he would be a perfect black ambassador for hockey and the Thrashers in Atlanta.
There's also an article that came out near the beginning of last season that the Thrashers had already started talking to Evander and were definitely showing interest early on.

Old
05-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Peter Griffin

Kane had a great showing at the draft combine, seems like a very personable guy as well. He'd be a great pick for you guys.

Old
05-30-2009, 04:07 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Kane had a great showing at the draft combine, seems like a very personable guy as well. He'd be a great pick for you guys.
I read about that yesterday on TSN's live blog of the combine. I really love the way he sounds, and hope we pick him.

Old
05-30-2009, 04:08 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
That was the early concensus. Then MP-S gained in favor. We are assuming none of the top three won't be available at 4th pick. Now, many are swinging back to Kane, if they ever really left him. Me, too. Barring a trade or the unlikely event of Duchene falling to 4th, Kane pretty much has to be the guy. He would be the marketable top 6 power forward that we need to help grow the sport in this particular city.

He also graded out quite well at the combines, so he passed that test. If the team is sold on Evander, I expect to see indications of that. I can see no downside to heavily touting the guy you are expected to pick. It will only drive up the price another team (TO?) might pay to move up to the 4th spot.

Closed Thread