HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official "Danny Boy" Thread

View Poll Results: What do you wish?
I hope he remains a Flyer, despite his contract. 59 55.66%
I hope Holmgren trades him ASAP. 47 44.34%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-30-2009, 05:55 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's actually not even close. It's money in hand which you can put in some interest bearing account.
Or into the stock market, where half of it will disappear . I've actually been wondering if these guys have lost a big chunk of money in that and might be kicking themselves for taking the front loaded deals. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but the frontloaded deals may have hurt some of these guys.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 10:28 PM
ELab2

I'd like to see him traded. The idea of having three great offensive lines is exciting and it separates us from the rest of the league. I don't see us winning because of it though. In a cap world you can't spend that much on offense because you'll neglect your defense and goaltending and you can't win doing that.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Philadelphia Flames

I'd like to see him traded. The idea that we could be spending that 6.5 on a stud defenseman or a goaltender boggles my mind.

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:51 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

He deserved a raise, he came to a loser and made them contenders now we should cut him loose? Did he complain once about playing on the third line or being 3rd on the depth chart? the only complaint was not being able to play due to injuries. Anyone think he'll be amazing next year? what if he lights it up and becomes the top line center (alot of what ifs). The potential is there, he's hopefully playing with giroux who i think best suits his play style.
On a side note, would it be so bad to let the d we have mature (sbisa, parent, bourdon, that russian ect) what if we took our lumps the next year or two then go for it? hopefully with a goalie by then.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:02 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
I'd like to see him traded. The idea that we could be spending that 6.5 on a stud defenseman or a goaltender boggles my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I'd like to see him traded. The idea of having three great offensive lines is exciting and it separates us from the rest of the league. I don't see us winning because of it though. In a cap world you can't spend that much on offense because you'll neglect your defense and goaltending and you can't win doing that.

What they said.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Please list the free agent goaltenders who you're willing to throw $6.5M at.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:32 AM
Philadelphia Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Please list the free agent goaltenders who you're willing to throw $6.5M at.
I know great goaltender just don't fall out of the sky, but in a year we could have thrown some money at Luongo, or sign Khabibulin, or we could spend that cap on a combination of a goaltender and a defenseman. What's most important is 6.5 millions can be spent addressing the team's desperate needs. When the cap goes down, he is the first player I want moved even though it will not happen. At this point, I'd trade him for Lehtonen, might not be fair, but Atlanta would do us a huge favor by accepting that cap hit.

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Kaktus*

I am not sure if it is possible to trade Danny boy.

I would not mind Fisher plus a prospect and a pick for Briere type of trade.
Flyers get overpaid 3rd line center

or

Briere for Hannan plus prospect or pick

or

Briere to any team for prospects and picks to sign Jay-Bo.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know great goaltender just don't fall out of the sky, but in a year we could have thrown some money at Luongo, or sign Khabibulin, or we could spend that cap on a combination of a goaltender and a defenseman. What's most important is 6.5 millions can be spent addressing the team's desperate needs. When the cap goes down, he is the first player I want moved even though it will not happen. At this point, I'd trade him for Lehtonen, might not be fair, but Atlanta would do us a huge favor by accepting that cap hit.
Luongo is not a free agent.

Khabibulin is up there in age, you're looking at 2 years max for him.

Everything else you're talking about trades or splitting the money which DOESN'T get you a stud defenseman.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:31 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I am not sure if it is possible to trade Danny boy.

I would not mind Fisher plus a prospect and a pick for Briere type of trade.
Flyers get overpaid 3rd line center

or

Briere for Hannan plus prospect or pick

or

Briere to any team for prospects and picks to sign Jay-Bo.
i worry about homer and jaybo. he can't help but overpay for free agents. if we can get bouwmeester for a decent cap hit, by all means, do so. but if he really thinks he can get up to 7 mil, i'd pass.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i worry about homer and jaybo. he can't help but overpay for free agents. if we can get bouwmeester for a decent cap hit, by all means, do so. but if he really thinks he can get up to 7 mil, i'd pass.
Bouwmeester's rights will have to be traded for before July 1st. Ideally, that would save $500,000 to $1M that he'd get on the open market. But if we're in a bidding war, forget about it.

Either way, Homer will overpay because he's terrible with money. Briere has to be traded to even entertain the idea of acquiring Bouwmeester.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Or into the stock market, where half of it will disappear . I've actually been wondering if these guys have lost a big chunk of money in that and might be kicking themselves for taking the front loaded deals. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but the frontloaded deals may have hurt some of these guys.
Some did. Scott Eyre got shafted by the non-Madoff Ponzi scheme that got found out after the fall...he was contemplating retirement.

However, the fact of the matter is that you'd always rather have money in hand. In this case, Briere is getting paid very well until the last two years of the deal (and then were talking 3M and 2M).

If you have all of that money tied up in the stock market...then that was a poor investment strategy in and of itself.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Bouwmeester's rights will have to be traded for before July 1st. Ideally, that would save $500,000 to $1M that he'd get on the open market. But if we're in a bidding war, forget about it.
Bouwmeester isn't stupid. His agent already knows what his rights are worth and who will offer what, so there is no way he'll sign with a team that acquires his rights UNLESS they overpay, not underpay. There will be no pre-July 1 discount, for the Flyers or anyone else.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:14 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I don't like either option of the poll.

I like Briere and I'd like him to remain a Flyer, if possible. There are other players that could be moved instead of Briere and I would prefer that the team exhausts those options first.

If it comes down to having to keep Briere over a select few Flyers, then that would be the point where I would finally look to asking him to waive his NMC.

I definitely do not want the Flyers to 'make it miserable' for Briere as a way to get him out of town. That's a bush league move.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Sneekypete

Trade him...He is a great on the PP but thats about all he brings to the table. He is more then a liability at even strength and the money could definitely be used elsewhere like a extension for Coburn when the time comes.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:18 AM
panayiotis

a bit dim dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I laid down this challenge in the other thread, but since this is the Danny thread, I'll do it here too.

Name me 3 incontrovertible reasons why Briere would ever waive his NMC.
If the team does not want him. He wont stick around. Life is too short. Philadelphia is not a Maui.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
If the team does not want him. He wont stick around. Life is too short. Philadelphia is not a Maui.
That's four reasons, he wanted three.

Old
06-01-2009, 01:46 AM
phlocky

Well, this is how I look at it, in 2 years we are going to have to resign Gagne, Carter, Giroux and Sbsia, along with some lesser players too. Even if the cap stays where it is there is no way we can resign them all so pick one and say goodbye. I honestly think it's going to be Gagne and if I can deal Briere to keep Gagne then I'd do that in a heartbeat. If the cap drops to 50 mil of below then we are in serious troubel. We most likely lose Lupul at the nedo f next season if the cap drops to 50 mil and I think he's going to hit 30g, 60 pts next year. If it drops to 50 mil then even after we let Lupul go we may lose another of those RFA's I listed that need signed in 2 years.

In a cap free world (or at least on that contined to escilate) we keep Briere as we are better offensively than without him. However, in the reality of the salary capped NHL we have to make some very tough choices and he's the one I choose to let go out of Gagne, Carter, Giroux, Sbisa, Coburn and Parent. That's how I look at this situation nd why I voted to ship him out.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 01:59 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Again, give me solid reasons.

Boyle and Richards waived them because TB at that time was becoming a joke that obviously wasn't going to be contending any time soon.

In no way does that situation apply whatsoever to Briere.

Again, give me solid reasons why he would voluntarily waive it. Unless you think the organization forcing him to waive it would be a good idea.
You want a SOLID reason, All I need is ONE.

Flyers: "Danny, we love your service here but the cap is falling against next season to somewhere around 50 mil. There is no way we can afford to keep you. We'd love to do so but it just isn't happening. We'd like to do what we can for you so lets see if we can work out some viable locations. We have to find a team that can fit you under the cap first an formost and we understand that you want to go to a team that is competing for the cup. We'll see what we can do. How's that sound?"

Briere: "I understand. Let me go talk to my family and we'll see what we can work out. Thanks for being honest with me."

Do you honestly think that TBL signed Brad Richards to a 7.8 mil contract with the intentions of trading him 15 months later??? Hell no, but **** happens. Richards didn't WANT to leave TB or else he wouldn't have signed that big 7.8 mil deal. However he understood the situation and accepted the NEED to trade him. Briere will be no different. We did NOT sign him with the INTENTION of trading him but if circumstances arise that pretty much FORCE our hand then even though Briere may not like it, he'll at least understand it. There are at times mitigating circumstances that FORCE a team to do things that they really don't want to do but have no choice but to do it anyways. It's unfortunate and honestly both sides come away feeling bad and like they were cheated.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 02:37 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

Flyers: "Danny, we love your service here but the cap is falling against next season to somewhere around 50 mil. There is no way we can afford to keep you. We'd love to do so but it just isn't happening. We'd like to do what we can for you so lets see if we can work out some viable locations. We have to find a team that can fit you under the cap first an formost and we understand that you want to go to a team that is competing for the cup. We'll see what we can do. How's that sound?"

Briere: "I understand. Let me go talk to my family and we'll see what we can work out. Thanks for being honest with me."
All will take place under a perfectly cloudless sky with rainbows abound and everyone holding hands discussing America's incredibly strong economy.

I think it's possible he'd waive his NMC, but I doubt it happens this easy.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
25-26yo 6'4 220lbs d-men that averages 10 goals over 40pts a season on a crappy team 7M is not overpayment. Ideally I would love him 10 years at 6.5, thatís my off-season dream.

Jay will play for Toronto next season. I bet Burke is all over it.

Old
06-01-2009, 09:59 AM
JSTAFF

Ok ok ...6.5 is a big cap hit. If we can get a traditional 4 line team it will make his contract worth it because the 1st n 2nd lines should be getting the right play time.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Powe-Pahlsonn-Knuble
Carcillo-Kalinski-Asham

Those lines get it done, bar none.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
All will take place under a perfectly cloudless sky with rainbows abound and everyone holding hands discussing America's incredibly strong economy.

I think it's possible he'd waive his NMC, but I doubt it happens this easy.
Well, if it doesn't happen this easy, the next step is:

Homer: It's not up to me, the coaches have decided to juggle the lines and move you to 4RW. Meet your new linemates: Riley Cote and Darrell Powe.

Old
06-01-2009, 10:07 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
25-26yo 6'4 220lbs d-men that averages 10 goals over 40pts a season on a crappy team 7M is not overpayment. Ideally I would love him 10 years at 6.5, thatís my off-season dream.

Jay will play for Toronto next season. I bet Burke is all over it.
unless homer can somehow unload briere, we really cannot afford to sign bouwmeester to a lengthy contract. we already have a very condensed salary structure, focusing on a core of young players. would jbo look great added to that core? no doubt. but financially, i don't think it's feasible and homer has shown that he is at best negligent when it comes to doling out large contracts.

if homer could move briere AND sign jbo for 6.5, i'd be ecstatic.

Edit: whoops, didn't even see Dig's post. i pretty much just reiterated his post.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
unless homer can somehow unload briere, we really cannot afford to sign bouwmeester to a lengthy contract. we already have a very condensed salary structure, focusing on a core of young players. would jbo look great added to that core? no doubt. but financially, i don't think it's feasible and homer has shown that he is at best negligent when it comes to doling out large contracts.

if homer could move briere AND sign jbo for 6.5, i'd be ecstatic.

Edit: whoops, didn't even see Dig's post. i pretty much just reiterated his post.
Thats what I said in post #83