HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs moving back in draft to #13 slot (buffalo)

Old
05-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITING REAGENT View Post
Where in my post does it say top prosepect? I said a good forward or goalie prospect. Secondly, in this years draft, after 7 there is a talent drop off. Teams have to overpay this year to get into the top 7, specially when its a drop of 6 spots. Next, it says a deal could be worked around the 7th, Enroth, and 13th. Enroth is not that good. With Miller signed till 2013, why does Buffalo even need him?

Oh, and finally, maybe read a post carefully before flaming away.
If Buffalo needs to "overpay" to get in the top 7, they might as well just forfeit their draft pick

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

If the Leafs intend to drop to 13th, from 7th. One of Enroth or Ennis have to be coming their way, along with 13th.

05-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
If the Leafs intend to drop to 13th, from 7th. One of Enroth or Ennis have to be coming their way, along with 13th.
Ennis and the 13th would be more palatable than Enroth plus the 13th. While forward isn't an organizational strength, Ennis is another of their mighty mites so is more easily replaceable.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Leafs wont trade down, if anything they will trade up.

nuff said, end of discussion, lock up this thread mods

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 12:23 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
He's not that good. Harding has proven alot more and Enroth is not Harding good. But serously it says around that pick. When i say around, that means it could be adjusted, or added to. Miller is your starting goalie and everyone knows that. So why do you think its farfetched that you deal him, in this years draft to fill another hole in your organization?
Completely debatable. Harding is 24 years old and Enroth is 20 and Harding was drafted four years before him. You aren't making a very good comparision. read up on Enroth. Look under 07 to 08 and tell me hes not that good. http://www.portlandpirates.com/playerbio.asp?id=337
Not saying Burke wouldn't ask for him if the Sabres came calling to move up, but no way does Darcy make a trade like that and gut our organization of the only real insurance policy we have if Miller goes down for an extended period. Ennis and the 13th for the 7th pick sounds g.ood to me though

is the answer jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 12:49 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I am curious as to what are the chances of the oilers getting the Sabres for a few players?
Say Brule, Schremp and a second rounder next year?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Maybe you should do a little research as Enroth is the only potential NHL caliber goalie signed in the organization outside of Miller and Lalime. They couldn't let him go without needing to sign or trade for another goalie. Smart teams deal from a positional strength which goalie and forward isn't for Buffalo. If the Leafs wanted a prospect to entice Buffalo to move up it would have to come from the Brennan, Gragnani, Schleistel, Weber, Persson logjam.
Maybe i have done a bit of research when i posted it. And maybe i know Hf ranks him at 8.0 D. My point is he has not proven squat yet. Goalies have a bigger bust rate than any other position, so they need to proove themselves more than players at other positions. And the potential is the key there. 26-23-6, with a .914 save pct and 2.75 GAA are good stats in the AHL not great.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
While I can't see Burke dropping that far down, if he did, I would expect that he would want guys like Myers and Enroth as well as the 13th pick (and probably more).
Intelligent Leaf fans need to wrangle up the people who think they can trade down 6 spots to get Myers, Enroth, or Roy and lock them in a closet until after draft day.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Remax

Is there a chance that anyone on TO would be able to help out Buffalo enough to have them give TO their 13th pick and still keep the 7th? Maybe a roster player and a prospect, for the 13th?

Buffalo is at 46mil and they need to replace Afinoganov, Kotalik, Moore, Spacek, Numminen, and resign Stafford, MacArthur, Kaleta, and Sekera, so they will need to find some players to replace those guys, and with less than 10mil under the cap, that might be a bit of a challenge.

I'm wondering if something like Poni and Van Ryn or something might work?

Remax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 02:12 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Thank god Burke has already pretty much said small players like Ellis and Schreoder are not in the game plan.

Terrible idea, Ian White 2.0

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 03:42 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

this thread makes me ashamed to be a Leaf fan

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax View Post
Buffalo is at 46mil and they need to replace Afinoganov, Kotalik, Moore, Spacek, Numminen
Not like the Sabres are going to miss Afinoganov & Kotalik much based on what that brought to the team this past season (and to some extent - the season before last as well); Moore was a trade deadline rental.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 04:16 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Myers or bust.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
Intelligent Leaf fans need to wrangle up the people who think they can trade down 6 spots to get Myers, Enroth, or Roy and lock them in a closet until after draft day.
Be that as it may, Burke has already stated that if he was going to move the 7th overall, it would be to move UP, not down. He has also said that if he couldn't move UP then he would stay at 7th overall and use the pick. So, dropping down isn't really that much of an option for Burke UNLESS he can't get the player he wants.

At THAT point, and ONLY that point, could I see Burke pull a "Garth Snow-esque" type of move to add quantity (not to be confused with quality) to increase the size of the Leafs prospect pool.

EDIT: I only stated what I thought Burke would want IF he were to drop down to the 13th pick. I never said that he would GET what he would ask for.

Last edited by EucaLEAFtys: 05-30-2009 at 06:36 PM.
EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 05:02 PM
bopeep

I would humbly suggest that these two teams make for unlikely trade partners.

bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 05:37 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Lets say the leafs do move to 13. If we have the choice to draft either Ellis or Moore, whom do we go with? I say Moore.
I love Ellis,,,but i'd go with Moore as well.

Leafs won't be trading down, and the Sabres are in no need to trade up.

So, they arn't trading partners IMO.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 05:54 PM
dangler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
As there's a drop off after 7 ... T. Meyers
You can have T. Meyers... we will keep T. Myers!

dangler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 07:36 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Maybe i have done a bit of research when i posted it. And maybe i know Hf ranks him at 8.0 D. My point is he has not proven squat yet. Goalies have a bigger bust rate than any other position, so they need to proove themselves more than players at other positions. And the potential is the key there. 26-23-6, with a .914 save pct and 2.75 GAA are good stats in the AHL not great.
I wasn't commenting on his AHL stats, merely the fact that there is nothing signed in the system outside of Miller or Lalime as a potential NHL level injury fill-in. Last year they had to trade for Tellqvist when Miller went down as Lalime wasn't very good.

As for not proving anything, he led the SEL in sv % his final year there. Last year he was stellar in the AHL until the defense broke down and he wore down. Portland was using forwards on defense due to a rash of injuries, during which time he lost 10 games in a row and his stats plummeted. Of course this is also with him having to adjust to the NHL sized rinks.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:32 AM
drew1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Thank god Burke has already pretty much said small players like Ellis and Schreoder are not in the game plan.

Terrible idea, Ian White 2.0
Yes Burke does not like small players especially on defense aka Ellis. So theres no way the leafs will be dropping down so end of thread.

In response to you though, I would love to see the leafs take Schroeder. Look at what he did at the WJC at age 17 and age 18 this past year. This year he was only the best player on Team USA over Colin Wilson (7th overall) and JVR (2nd overall). He was the top player for U of M and was a freshman. He is a mold of Parise except has had better stats at a younger age. So imagine a better version of Kane/Parise. You are right why would the leafs want skill when a guy like Cowen whos been injured, havent seen him at the world stage. Memorial cup last year wasnt that great not the best dman on his team. Where Schenn was unbelievable. Why take a risk on Cowen. Could end up like Ellerby etc. I'd rather go for a guy who has dominated at every level aka Schroeder but hes not the mold of Burke's plan so we shall see a few years after the draft if he made a big mistake.

drew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Clock

Buffalo will not trade Myers or Enroth to move into not even the top 5 slots. If that's seriously what Toronto would want back then obviously we would be exceedingly poor trading partners. How about another team?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:51 PM
The Real

Worst thread ever.

Why hasn't anyone asked for Vanek yet?

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Ace88*