Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hardy to leave or not?

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Hardy had a somewhat strange statement IMO: Finland have better depth among players than Sweden.

What is this? Ok, Sweden may have, as he said, 5 players among the 30 best in the world, but none more in the best 100. There Canada maybe has 50 players. It's clear we can't compete with Canada in depth, but at the moment in top end talent. But that Finland have greater depth? I admire Finland and their hockey, but that statement is ridicoulus. We have a lot more players in the NHL, we have more top-players in the NHL, we've been better in the last World Championships... Finland and Sweden played equal in World Cup, but Sweden was the most taleneted team, that's for sure. Hope I'm not to baised.

Old
09-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

I think this "fire Hardy" campain is getting a bit silly. Sure, Hardy has failed one time too many and should have the decency to go by himself but having Conny back.. I don't know. I'd like to see Conny coach a B-national team or a u-23 team. I'd like to have both. I think having such teams would actually be much more important for player development than switching coaches in the regular national team.

Lets say we have both a B-team and a U-23 team, the B-team could play countries like Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Latvia etc.
The U-23 team could play against Denmark, Norway, France..

Old
09-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Leo Naphta

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwad
Leo or others,
Which type of hockey does Conny represent?

I'm a bit afraid that Sweden will go back to defense first type of play. I liked the "Big ice hockey" system and those type of players (with great speed on their skates) that Hardy has had in the World Champs.
In Frölunda Conny has had such a good team that they could play offensively but I remeber him as playing quite classic Sweden type of play when he was coach for the national team.
I'm probably the wrong person to answer this one, since I know far too little of Evensson's tactical preferences during the years. But Evensson has criticised - though in very careful terms - Hardy's national team for not counterattacking fast enough. So, presumably Evensson would play classical Swedish hockey with a strong defence and a fast counter attack. He would certainly not play "Big ice hockey", but then again, Hardy and Waltin are the only coaches that would.

Old
09-14-2004, 01:47 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
I think this "fire Hardy" campain is getting a bit silly. Sure, Hardy has failed one time too many and should have the decency to go by himself but having Conny back.. I don't know. I'd like to see Conny coach a B-national team or a u-23 team. I'd like to have both. I think having such teams would actually be much more important for player development than switching coaches in the regular national team.

Lets say we have both a B-team and a U-23 team, the B-team could play countries like Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Latvia etc.
The U-23 team could play against Denmark, Norway, France..
I've also considered having the B-team back (it was called Vikingarna wasn't it?). Agree with you Riddarn that younger players development would gain more from a B-team than limited ice time in Tre Kronor. After Hardy has been fired, this should be the next thing on the federations agenda...

Old
09-14-2004, 02:45 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
I've also considered having the B-team back (it was called Vikingarna wasn't it?). Agree with you Riddarn that younger players development would gain more from a B-team than limited ice time in Tre Kronor. After Hardy has been fired, this should be the next thing on the federations agenda...
Vikingarna it was. Stupid name though, I get sleezy Christer Sjögren vibes from it.. nevermind..

The thing is we need at least one, perhaps two development teams between the J20 level and the Senior national team. Most players don't reach their peaks until they are 26-27 years old, why do we have national teams from 16 years up to 2, then let the players loose on their own for 10 years and then some people wonder what happened to all those great talents?

Even if the best talents go off to north america I'm sure there's plenty to gain to follow up the best U23 players and possibly the best guys from 23 years up on the level just beneath the national team. Also, having more "steps" along the way could increase the value of accomplishment of making the real National Team. It would be something you have to qualify for, which in turn could be a little motivator for undrafted 25 year old players..

Old
09-14-2004, 07:28 AM
qwad

Article about Hardys to be, or not to be. Boustedt is mentioned as the probable next coach since his already paid by the Swedish Hockey Federation.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=184121

Old
09-23-2004, 07:01 AM
Seiza

The federation has a pressconference today at 15:30. It will take place without Hardy. This could mean that he's history...

Old
09-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
Just heard on the radio that HARDY HAS BEEN FIRED

they will replace him with different coaches from the Elitserien teams during the tournaments of the season

And in April when the WC are held, they will have a new national team coach

Old
09-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Seiza

It's not banana worthy but I'm still glad! It's about freaking time....

Old
09-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Klown

It´s soooo banana worthy.

Old
09-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Raipe

Im glad to swedish hockey fans .This guy is a disaster .Curt Lindström is good ,take him.

Old
09-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

:mad:

Just kidding!

Old
09-24-2004, 01:14 AM
Seiza

Quote:
:mad:

Just kidding!
You had me going there for a split second...

Old
09-24-2004, 02:54 AM
Leo Naphta

It will be very difficult for them to give this job to anyone not named Conny Evensson. He is apparently free from his injury and refuses to reveal whether he is interested or not. Most journalists are pulling for him, and even Peter Forsberg has spoken out for him. Add to that the fact that he is probably the only candidate that enjoys respect among everyone that bothers about Tre Kronor.

In a way it seems fair to give him the job too. Strange as it may seem, the first national coach the "Golden generation" had, is still the one that has had most success with them. If there is a new Star Wars tournament looming in Turin or even in Vienna next spring, it's not more than right that Conny gets to finish the job with this generation.

Old
10-01-2004, 01:21 AM
qwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Naphta
It will be very difficult for them to give this job to anyone not named Conny Evensson. He is apparently free from his injury and refuses to reveal whether he is interested or not. Most journalists are pulling for him, and even Peter Forsberg has spoken out for him. Add to that the fact that he is probably the only candidate that enjoys respect among everyone that bothers about Tre Kronor.

In a way it seems fair to give him the job too. Strange as it may seem, the first national coach the "Golden generation" had, is still the one that has had most success with them. If there is a new Star Wars tournament looming in Turin or even in Vienna next spring, it's not more than right that Conny gets to finish the job with this generation.

Now Jönsson says that he don't want Evensson and that he liked Hardy:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/...540710,00.html

Old
10-01-2004, 06:16 AM
Seiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwad
Now Jönsson says that he don't want Evensson and that he liked Hardy:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/...540710,00.html
I think he's got a point. Something new and fresh could be the best way to go. Give a foreign coach a try. Evensson probably is the best Swedish coach but not the best choice in the long term..

Old
10-01-2004, 07:01 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
I think he's got a point. Something new and fresh could be the best way to go. Give a foreign coach a try. Evensson probably is the best Swedish coach but not the best choice in the long term..
Barry Smith? Wayne Fleming? Or some finnish guy?

Old
10-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
I don't like the idea of a foreign coach at all. I want a coach that already has deep knowledge about the Swedish players. A totally new foreign head coach would have to have a long "learning period", only to get to know the top Swedish players etc.. and there is no time for that IMO.

I wouldn't mind having a foreign coach as the assistent coach though, perhaps bringing a new way of thinking and coaching into the group but not directly involved in the player selections.

Old
10-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Once again, they should bring back the development national team. Thats the proper place for experimenting with younger players and "new" coaches.

Old
10-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Seiza

Quote:
Barry Smith? Wayne Fleming? Or some finnish guy?
Absolutely not Barry Smith. I don't have a good suggestion, but I was thinking about a NA coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
I don't like the idea of a foreign coach at all. I want a coach that already has deep knowledge about the Swedish players. A totally new foreign head coach would have to have a long "learning period", only to get to know the top Swedish players etc.. and there is no time for that IMO.

I wouldn't mind having a foreign coach as the assistent coach though, perhaps bringing a new way of thinking and coaching into the group but not directly involved in the player selections.
To make it work with a foreign coach we need a good assistent coach, or the other way around like you suggest. We can't just hand over the complete responsibility to someone who knows nothing about Swedish hockey. My thought is to get some influences from, for example Canadian hockey. Why not two coaches like our soccer team? One Swedish (Bäckman, Evensson, Wikegård, Melin, Mårts) and one Canadian (someone, some other guy, a third option, and so on )....

Old
10-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Leo Naphta

Well, Evensson is officially out of it and the tabloids (well, one of them) tout Lars "Osten" Bergström as the new frontrunner.

I still think they should go with Bäckman, but since that won't happen I'm beginning to like the idea of having "Kulon" in charge.

Old
10-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Fredrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Naphta
Well, Evensson is officially out of it and the tabloids (well, one of them) tout Lars "Osten" Bergström as the new frontrunner.
I think Osten could be the one.

What his job will be is really to teach someone else, Dahlen(?), the difficult parts of being a coach until Dahlen(?) is ready to be in charge by himself.

Closed Thread