HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cam Barker

Old
05-31-2009, 12:32 AM
GaryU

vCash: 500
WOW! Basically a 2nd rounder(SJ's 1st)...Generous..

Last edited by GaryU: 05-31-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: add info
GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 01:33 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Not sure chicago would do it but if they really want to trade him, I would deal SJ's first rounder if I was the Islanders
Well of course you would. Jesus man! You say that like it would be a difficult thing. You got that pick for Chris Campoli. Its not gold.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 07:30 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
Barker is going to cost you 4+ million because teams can do a RFA offer and get him for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd. This seems pretty reasonable for a 3rd overall pick to me.
Not real sure what his draft position has to do with anything.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
I really don't see him making over $2 million per season.
So he is goin to make less money than he already does?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
So he is goin to make less money than he already does?
Barker's base salary is around 900k. The rest of the $2.8 million of his cap hit is rookie bonuses.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Barker's base salary is around 900k. The rest of the $2.8 million of his cap hit is rookie bonuses.
Barker is not signing for under 2M-2.5M if it,s anything more than for 1 year. And he will get at least 1 offersheet over 3M if you are letting him go that road imo.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Maxpac

I would LOVE to get him on the Habs, i don't think a 20mi/5 year offer sheet would be that unreasonable.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:46 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I would LOVE to get him on the Habs, i don't think a 20mi/5 year offer sheet would be that unreasonable.
Any team in the league would love to have Barker at that price.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:25 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Any team in the league would love to have Barker at that price.
I think that's a little much. Ryan Whitney got that same offer from the Pens after he put up 59 points, all the while having his best defensive season of his career.

Old
05-31-2009, 07:35 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Three years at 2.5 per would actually bring his cap hit down as well lock him up for a bit until he's ready to make big RFA dollars.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Flapjack*

LOL, the team that signs Campbell to one of the worst contracts in NHL history is suppossed to low ball a better all round defenseman in Barker?

Barkers value is around 3.5 million alone, and all his agent has to do is look at Campbells contract.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:28 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I think that's a little much. Ryan Whitney got that same offer from the Pens after he put up 59 points, all the while having his best defensive season of his career.
If a guy like Komisarek is apparently worth 5M+, I'd say paying 4M$ for Barker is a good deal.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 09:31 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
LOL, the team that signs Campbell to one of the worst contracts in NHL history is suppossed to low ball a better all round defenseman in Barker?

Barkers value is around 3.5 million alone, and all his agent has to do is look at Campbells contract.
Campbell is a better all around defenseman than Barker is at this point. Offensively and in skating ability, Campbell edges Barker. Defensively, they are both somewhat of a liability. There is no way he makes more than 3.5 mil, which is what Seabrook makes. At that kind of money, it would be tough for the Hawks to keep him around.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Campbell is a better all around defenseman than Barker is at this point/snip.
Uh, I dont think so.

Barker is just as good, if not better offensively than Campbell, is a better PP QB and is far and away a better passer.
In the defensive zone, Campbell is a turnstyle/pylon, while Barker is undoubtedly better than Campbell, and ISNT afraid of contact.
Barker upped his play durning the Hawks playoff run, while two games were decided in favor of the other team on account of Campbell stupidity.

Oh, Campbells a figure skater, Ill give him that.

And considering the awful money the Hawks moronicly threw at Campbell, dont think it doesnt increase Barker, Keiths price tag, considering how they are core players having a seven million dollar fringe player as a team mate who hasnt delivered in justifying his contract. And if the Hawks signed Seabrook at a cap friendly number, it has no bearing on the market the Hawks helped create with that atrocious contract they gave Campbell

Barker starts at 3.5, nothing can change that.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:56 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
If a guy like Komisarek is apparently worth 5M+, I'd say paying 4M$ for Barker is a good deal.
Mike Komisarek is not worth 5 million dollars a year. Brooks Orpik just signed last year for 3.75...when the cap was rising...and his team just came off a Stanley Cup Final appearance.

What you have to realize, HFBoards overvalues contracts by 1-2 million dollars usually. People said Hossa would get 9-10 million.

Old
06-01-2009, 08:07 AM
bnbh1962

Nj Needs A Offensive D-man

NJ Devils send Chicago , Matt Corrente, & N Bergfors , NJ gets a young D-man who they have the room to sign, and Chicago's get 2 young players 1 a defensive d-man, and a young scoring winger, Flame on. seems close

bnbh1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post

Since when is the comparable for a guy coming off a rookie contract a UFA? That's like saying that Toews comparable is Vinnie Lecavalier and JT is worth $7.7M.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:35 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Three years at 2.5 per would actually bring his cap hit down as well lock him up for a bit until he's ready to make big RFA dollars.
very unrealistic IMO.

I think anyone that is expecting him to sign for less than $3mill/yr is in fantasy land... what promising young dman in the game today has signed for less than that??

Why would Barker, and his agent, not look at what the market has currently been giving to young talented dmen with upside and sign for a deal that is "Hawk-friendly"??

look at all the young dmen that have signed contracts recently... Edler got $3.25mill/yr... Carle is at $3.5mill... Vlasic got $3.1mill... Suter $3.5mill... Meszaros is at $4mill.

Fact is that every single young talented dman with upside got at least $3mill/yr on their 2nd contracts after their ELC.... why would Barker sign for less? Is there any example of a good young dman extended in the last couple years that didn't get that kind of money?

If the Hawks don't offer at least $3.5mill/yr for him, I think he waits till July 1st... and considering the value that teams place on such assets - young up and coming blueliners - I have no doubt that he'll get a contract like that, if not more, with an offer sheet.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:08 AM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Man Chicago got screwed over when Washington won the lottery. Could've had Malkin. Instead they got Cam-frickin'-Barker. Meh, I guess everything balanced out when they moved up 4 spots to nab Kane.
They screwed themselves. All they had to do was lose the last game that season and they would have been guaranteed Ovechkin or Malkin, even if they lost the lottery.

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Teemu

He'll probably get signed for 2-2.5 mil a year. He has no arbitration rights, and no one's gonna drop an offer sheet on him unless its for a large amount (i.e. 5+ mil a year). And I don't see that happening with the financial uncertainty of the cap.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:10 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
He'll probably get signed for 2-2.5 mil a year. He has no arbitration rights, and no one's gonna drop an offer sheet on him unless its for a large amount (i.e. 5+ mil a year). And I don't see that happening with the financial uncertainty of the cap.
I'm really interested in hearing some logic to backup why he's only going to get $2-2.5mill/yr... every comparable contract that has been signed has taken dmen from their ELC to over $3mill/yr - Carle, Edler, Suter, Vlasic, etc - none of these guys had arbitration rights either.

can you provide any comparable contracts for young dmen with top 4 potential, that have gone from ELC to under $3mill over the past couple years?

I keep reading from Hawks fan that he'll sign for $2-2.5mill, but I have yet to find a comparable to justify him getting less than $3mill.

Even with threat of the cap going down, he'll easily get over $3mill IMO.... if he's offered less than that, he won't sign till July 1st - when he's sure to receive offer sheets, with the rest of the league knowing the number of good young players up for new contracts over the next couple years, that the Hawks have... they are one of the top 5 targets when it comes to offer sheets, and everyone in the league knows that Barker has the potential to be worth what similar young dmen have gotten in the past couple years on their next deals.

also, why is it only possible for him to get a $5+mill/yr offer with an offer sheet? couldn't a team just offer him $3.9mill? That would put the Hawks into a tough position with the rest of their contracts, and may still match considering that they have a lot more depth up front than on defense to be able to lose a guy like Barker... that's a 1st and a 3rd as compensation (IIRC).

IMO, every GM that needs to add depth to their lineup and aren't rebuilding (and can thus give up those draft picks), should target Chicago... make a $3.9mill/yr offer for Barker, and if that's matched, then make an offer for Versteeg or Bolland... the Hawks are primed to be an offer-sheet target coming up... and it's not like GMs only throw huge money offers at RFAs either - Backes and Bernier received $2.5mill/yr RFA offers last year for example... $3.9mill for Barker is a very realistic offer IMO.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
massivegoonery

Versteeg is a much likelier offer sheet target, I think.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 02:06 PM
crazyforhockey

3.5 mil is about right......can see Chi trading him as they still have way too much to sign,this year and next.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 02:07 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
How much compensation do you think we'd receive for Steeger? I wouldn't be that sad to see him go to be honest.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
How much compensation do you think we'd receive for Steeger? I wouldn't be that sad to see him go to be honest.
I would like to package steeger with campbell if possible to get us out of cap hell(sorta)

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote