HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sjs-Edm

Old
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
oilers4life5

vCash: 500
Sjs-Edm

Propsal 1
To Edm- Michalek

To Sjs- Gilbert(replaces blake) + Pouliot

propsal 2

To Edm- Michalek

To Sjs- 10th overall in 09 + Nilsson ( gives Sjs a 1st rounder)

Feel free to tweak anyone on our team is avalible.

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Sanderson

I wouldn't do either if I'm San Jose.

Gilbert is nice, but the Sharks went out in the playoffs because the offense vanished. The last thing they should do is trade offense for defense.

First round pick is nice, but San Jose isn't in rebuild-mode, they are the Presidents Trophy winner. Someone who wants to win the Cup doesn't trade an established top-six forward for a draftpick.

I'd say every deal the Sharks would accept, would defeat the entire purpose of getting Michalek for the Oilers.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
Propsal 1
To Edm- Michalek

To Sjs- Gilbert(replaces blake) + Pouliot

propsal 2

To Edm- Michalek

To Sjs- 10th overall in 09 + Nilsson ( gives Sjs a 1st rounder)

Feel free to tweak anyone on our team is avalible.
#1 doesn't help the Sharks at all cap-wise, as Blake's salary is already tied up in raises for Murray and Vlasic, so the Sharks are pretty much taking on extra salary in Pouliot for another center they don't need. Gilbert is a very nice defenseman, but I don't know if the Sharks really need him, or can afford him. They could move out Luko for a rookie, but that's not going to help much cap-wise.

For #2, the #10 pick is very nice, but as I understand it the talent drops off pretty severly after the first 7 in this draft, so the Sharks aren't likely to get a player who might be comparable to Michalek in the draft. And Nilsson is yet another center they don't need, although also a nice young player.

Value-wise the deals probably aren't that bad, but I don't think they really do much to help the Sharks. Michalek has top-end speed and a good size to go with it. He's only 23, and while he didn't explode offensively this year, his game saw major improvements in his defensive play and in his physical play (which had been an issue in the past). He's looking like he's got a good chance to develop into a Jere Lehtinin-type player with better offense and better physicality. That's a hard asset to give up when he's just 23 and still improving. It would also have a major impact on the Sharks top 6 as you have no one coming back who could replace him.

If you are just looking for a scoring winger, you could probably get Cheechoo for picks at this point. But any deal for Michalek would probably need to have a very good young winger coming back who could play in the top 6 and probably some picks. There just isn't a real need for the Sharks to give up on Michalek. Especially when there is a good chance Marleau could be gone after this next season and Michalek would become the top LW in the org.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:37 PM
oilers4life5

Nilsson plays wing on our team. (lw)

How about Gilbert, 10th,Nilsson

for milan and your second

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Vaasa

Quote:

Sharks don't have their 2nd if I remember right. But it's kind of moot, because the trade there doesn't address the primary issue of moving Michalek. Nilsson will not be a top 6 player on the Sharks and when Patty goes after next year the Sharks best LW would be either Nilsson, Clowe (if still around), or McGinn. None of whom are top-line talent, and all of whom are barely 2nd line talent at best. The Sharks would have a gaping hole at LW.

Value-wise, it probably favors the Sharks too much as they are getting some very good assets. But from a role perspective and a cap perspective (Sharks are getting $6 mil but only sending away 4.3 mil) it's probably unworkable. I just don't see how the Sharks can move Michalek at this point given that need to let Patty go next year for cap space and the utter lack to LW talent in the org. But other Sharks fans may disagree with me. But getting a player of comparable talent in the UFA pool will probably cost more than the 4.3 mil Michalek makes.

Old
05-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Sharks don't have their 2nd if I remember right. But it's kind of moot, because the trade there doesn't address the primary issue of moving Michalek. Nilsson will not be a top 6 player on the Sharks and when Patty goes after next year the Sharks best LW would be either Nilsson, Clowe (if still around), or McGinn. None of whom are top-line talent, and all of whom are barely 2nd line talent at best. The Sharks would have a gaping hole at LW.

Value-wise, it probably favors the Sharks too much as they are getting some very good assets. But from a role perspective and a cap perspective (Sharks are getting $6 mil but only sending away 4.3 mil) it's probably unworkable. I just don't see how the Sharks can move Michalek at this point given that need to let Patty go next year for cap space and the utter lack to LW talent in the org. But other Sharks fans may disagree with me. But getting a player of comparable talent in the UFA pool will probably cost more than the 4.3 mil Michalek makes.
I think they have 2 seconds.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Ringo13

Two questions for Sharks fans:
1) If you were to generalize, would you say most of you like Michalek over Clowe or vise versa?
2) Clowe is an RFA if I am not mistaken. Would you do a sign and trade of Gilbert for Clowe or something like that?

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I think they have 2 seconds.
I don't think either is theirs tho. I know one came from Buffalo, and I think the other is theirs.

Old
05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
1) If you were to generalize, would you say most of you like Michalek over Clowe or vise versa?
2) Clowe is an RFA if I am not mistaken. Would you do a sign and trade of Gilbert for Clowe or something like that?
I would take Michalek over Clowe any day. Others may disagree. I would consider trading the rights to Clowe for some other asset, and Gilbert would be very nice. I just don't think the Sharks could afford him. The Sharks would have to send some players back with Clowe to clear cap space (Cheechoo and Luko being the most likely) and they would have to get at least as much for Clowe as they would likely get if someone sent him an offer sheet in the $3 million plus range (which is a 1st I believe).

How about the rights to Clowe + Cheechoo + Lukowich for Gilbert and a 1st (maybe throw in a Sharks goalie prospect if Edmonton needs one)?

Old
05-31-2009, 03:25 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Michalek>>>Clowe. He's better defensively, has a better shot, was just as physical this year, and just turned 24. In a few years his contract will look great. Sharks dont want Gilbert. They are set at D. I doubt either one is even considered in trade talks.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would take Michalek over Clowe any day. Others may disagree. I would consider trading the rights to Clowe for some other asset, and Gilbert would be very nice. I just don't think the Sharks could afford him. The Sharks would have to send some players back with Clowe to clear cap space (Cheechoo and Luko being the most likely) and they would have to get at least as much for Clowe as they would likely get if someone sent him an offer sheet in the $3 million plus range (which is a 1st I believe).

How about the rights to Clowe + Cheechoo + Lukowich for Gilbert and a 1st (maybe throw in a Sharks goalie prospect if Edmonton needs one)?
Unsigned UFA, salary dump, and a 3rd pairing defenseman for a young puck moving defenseman, and 10th overall pick.
Edmonton is at or very close to the 50 contract limit so if anything Edmonton will be shipping out multiple players

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
I don't think either is theirs tho. I know one came from Buffalo, and I think the other is theirs.
Sharks have a 2nd from Buffalo and their own 2nd.

Old
05-31-2009, 03:45 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:

too lopsided for the sharks

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:

Toss in a goalie prospect and I say deal.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Unsigned UFA, salary dump, and a 3rd pairing defenseman for a young puck moving defenseman, and 10th overall pick.
Edmonton is at or very close to the 50 contract limit so if anything Edmonton will be shipping out multiple players
Clowe is a RFA, and I would take a chance on Cheechoo.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
blackcoffee

What about Clowe and SJ's first for Gilbert? Would SJ even be interested in Gilbert?

or maybe

Mickalek for Gilbert and Edmonton's first? It's simular to that other proposal, but without Nilsson.

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
What about Clowe and SJ's first for Gilbert? Would SJ even be interested in Gilbert?

or maybe

Mickalek for Gilbert and Edmonton's first? It's simular to that other proposal, but without Nilsson.
The Sharks don't have a first.

Old
05-31-2009, 04:36 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Don't think the Sharks have any use for Gilbert at this stage. But he is great offensively and is very underrated. I always thought Michalek had loads of potential but fell short?

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 04:58 PM
tarlinian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Toss in a goalie prospect and I say deal.
How about we add Sexsmith and you add a 4th round pick? (DW is fond of trading picks around to get in the right position a high 4th round pick does have some use there.

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 05:47 PM
oilerfan17

Michalek + Clowe + Cheechoo for Gilbert + Cogliano + Nilsson

Add picks as you feel necessary.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I don't think SJ has any interest in the players being offered, even though they are probably getting the better value in the deal. Gilbert doesn't fill a need for them, and Nilsson is a small, non-physical forward which is the reverse of what they're probably going for. In general I think SJ is going for more sandpaper, guys with heart rather than skill, which they have a lot of.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 06:31 PM
CrossCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
Michalek + Clowe + Cheechoo for Gilbert + Cogliano + Nilsson

Add picks as you feel necessary.
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

Nilsson is worthless.

Michalek for cogliano and Gilbert could be right.

So SJ gives Cheechoo and Clowe for nothing!

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Ringo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

Nilsson is worthless.

Michalek for cogliano and Gilbert could be right.

So SJ gives Cheechoo and Clowe for nothing!
Slight exaggeration!
The Oilers would never do Cogs and Gilbert for Michalek. Maybe Cheechoo and Michalek for Cogs and Gilbert.

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Slight exaggeration!
The Oilers would never do Cogs and Gilbert for Michalek. Maybe Cheechoo and Michalek for Cogs and Gilbert.
And again, the Sharks don't need yet another center (in Cogliano) and trading Gilbert for Michalek doesn't make sense for the Sharks. Trading Michalek at all doesn't make sense for the Sharks. If you want a LW with size from the Sharks, the only guy who might be available is Clowe, and it's probably going to have to be a pretty good deal for the Sharks too.

Gilbert is a good piece who could help the Sharks, but not at the cost of Michalek. Cogliano is a promising young forward, but the Sharks already have a carbon copy of him in Joe Pavelski, so they don't need Cogs.

Old
05-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I don't think SJ has any interest in the players being offered, even though they are probably getting the better value in the deal. Gilbert doesn't fill a need for them, and Nilsson is a small, non-physical forward which is the reverse of what they're probably going for. In general I think SJ is going for more sandpaper, guys with heart rather than skill, which they have a lot of.
Just to clarify, if they could fit him under the cap, Gilbert would probably make a very good partner for Vlasic. But his contract is up there and it would be very hard for the Sharks to afford him. So there might be interest, but the practicalities get in the way.