HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sjs-Edm

Old
05-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Ringo13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Just to clarify, if they could fit him under the cap, Gilbert would probably make a very good partner for Vlasic. But his contract is up there and it would be very hard for the Sharks to afford him. So there might be interest, but the practicalities get in the way.
You are obviously a Sharks fan and follow the team much closer than I do, but from watching them in the playoffs, it seems to me that they need more guys like Ryan Clowe and could likely absorb the loss of a guy like Michalek. Especially if Grier goes via FA. Am I wrong? If my assessment of the team is correct, could some combo of Moreau or Pisani and Souray be worked out for Michalek and Cheechoo (to balance out salary)?

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
You are obviously a Sharks fan and follow the team much closer than I do, but from watching them in the playoffs, it seems to me that they need more guys like Ryan Clowe and could likely absorb the loss of a guy like Michalek. Especially if Grier goes via FA. Am I wrong? If my assessment of the team is correct, could some combo of Moreau or Pisani and Souray be worked out for Michalek and Cheechoo (to balance out salary)?
Actually, Clowe was one of the big disappointments in the playoffs (IMO) as he stopped playing the physical game he should have, and stopped playing around the net. Michalek stepped up his physical intensity AND his play around the net in the playoffs. Not to mention he's a MUCH better skater than Clowe will ever be, and more offensive potential. I'll take Michalek any day over Clowe.

The don't need Moreau, they just need to re-sign Moen. And really, Souray would not be any improvement cap-wise over Gilbert, and I'd rather have the younger Gilbert.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Actually, Clowe was one of the big disappointments in the playoffs (IMO) as he stopped playing the physical game he should have, and stopped playing around the net. Michalek stepped up his physical intensity AND his play around the net in the playoffs. Not to mention he's a MUCH better skater than Clowe will ever be, and more offensive potential. I'll take Michalek any day over Clowe.

The don't need Moreau, they just need to re-sign Moen. And really, Souray would not be any improvement cap-wise over Gilbert, and I'd rather have the younger Gilbert.
May not be an improvement cap wise, but for the playoffs he's exactly what San Jose needed. Tough, offensive defenseman, and leadership(many would argue should be our team captain). San Jose should only be looking for playoff type players. They have enough talent to coast into the playoffs

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
May not be an improvement cap wise, but for the playoffs he's exactly what San Jose needed. Tough, offensive defenseman, and leadership(many would argue should be our team captain). San Jose should only be looking for playoff type players. They have enough talent to coast into the playoffs
Hmmm... maybe. Personally, I think they are likely to run with the current team one more year, and then start a rebuild with the current young guys around JT and Boyle. Marleau and Nabby would be gone and they would make the bigger moves after next season. Souray just hasn't impressed me that much. And really, there is no way the Sharks could afford his $6 mil + salary.

Old
05-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hmmm... maybe. Personally, I think they are likely to run with the current team one more year, and then start a rebuild with the current young guys around JT and Boyle. Marleau and Nabby would be gone and they would make the bigger moves after next season. Souray just hasn't impressed me that much. And really, there is no way the Sharks could afford his $6 mil + salary.
It's actually a bargain basement price of 5.4 million(well at least compared to Boyle)

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
It's actually a bargain basement price of 5.4 million(well at least compared to Boyle)
NHLPA has his salary at $6.25 mil. His cap hit may be lower, but the salary is still an issue. I would suspect that the Doug Wilson isn't going to be given as much salary room this coming season as he had last year. Given the failure of the highest paid team in Sharks history, I don't see them taking on a salary like Souray's. And even it wasn't, his cap hit at $5.4 mil would preclude them from re-signing Clowe and possibly other RFA's.

And really, the issue wasn't with the D. The issue was the forwards utter failure to score in the playoffs. The guys who put up the most effort (Michalek, Pavelski, Setoguchi) on the scoring front weren't getting the support they needed. And there wasn't enough scoring from the bottom 6. With Mitchell back next year full time and with McGinn likely to step up to a full time position, they should get more out of the bottom 6. I suspect DW will look to someone with a bit more scoring potential to replace Grier, although Plihal may get a bigger role too.

Old
06-01-2009, 12:43 AM
CupfortheSharks

This whole thread is about making the Oilers better while giving back a package based on Gilbert, who doesn't really fit a need for the Sharks. While it may be fun for Oilers fans to talk about, there is nothing here that would tempt DW.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
NHLPA has his salary at $6.25 mil. His cap hit may be lower, but the salary is still an issue.

He makes 5.5, 4.5, and 4.5 for the next 3 years with a Cap hit of 5.4

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote