HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk to Pens

Old
06-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Duponttime*

vCash: 500
I can assure you that no team in the East will do anything to help the Penguins.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:00 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Atlanta needs bodies, not draft picks that will able to help them 3-5 years from now.

Staal and one of Pierro-Zabotel or Caputi would be my asking price.

Last edited by btn: 06-01-2009 at 07:27 AM.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesDude View Post
No it wouldn't. Kovalchuk is a far more valuable player. Just because Hossa can backcheck better does not make the value the same. The asking price for Kovalchuk is going to be insane if he isn't signed. Ilya Kovalchuk is superior in every other aspect of the game. Offense, Leadership, Skating, etc. I'm sure some team will be willing to pay Atlanta up the rear for him. You aren't going to get off with trading a boom or bust prospect + three spare parts. The return might not be astromomical, but if Atlanta trades Kovalchuk there will surely be a Berglund, Kessel, Perron, Eriksson, Okposo, Ryan type player in there somewhere. Fans on here can say that they'd never give a guy like that up for Kovalchuk, but i'm sure the GM's would be more than happy to sacrifice one good young player for one of the most dominant guys in the league.

Look at back of 07-08. Atlanta was toying with a playoff spot for the first half of the season AFTER an 0-6 start. Why? The only reason is Ilya Kovalchuk. He was the only even semi decent player aside from Enstrom. Of course he eventually tired out due to the injury and from having to carry the team on his back. Then in 08-09 Atlanta went on a tear after he was named Captain. That kind of player isn't easy to come by. Hossa is definitely not on that level. The teams trading fr Kovalchuk will have every intention of signing him. He will be a lot more than a rental player like Hossa.
Well said. Standing on his own, he's arguably the next best forward after the big 3, something many people have trouble accepting. People can say Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Getzlaf are better than him, but take Datsyuk or Zetterberg out of Detroit and their most refined and well-coached system in the league with one of the best defensive supports out there and put them in Atlanta, and they don't do nearly as well in any aspect of their game. Take Getzlaf out of the team with arguably the best offensive D core in the league and put him in Atlanta and he'll most likely falter. Yet they give Kovalchuk a pair of warm bodies on his line (and I don't think I'm exaggerating that much, I mean he did play with Thorburn and Reasoner) and he's a lock for 30+ goals any year.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:49 AM
JTG

This wouldn't work...at all.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Crosberry87

The Penguins already have 2 superstars, so whats the point of adding yet another one? They have the core to build around and they need to add tough, hard working pieces around them. There is no need or want for Kovalchuk. /thread.

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:20 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGetTavares View Post
EDITED

Crosby and Kovalchuk may have beef; but putting that aside if Crosby can end that how does this sound?

To Atlanta: 2010,2011 first round,2010 2nd round pick,Jordan Staal

To Pittsburgh:Ilya Kovalchuk

Trade deadline deal if Kovalchuk won't resign with ATL.
Counter offer:

To Atlanta: Evgeni Malkin

To Pittsburgh: Ilya Kovalchuk

(waits for laughter)

Yeah, I didn't think you'd do this deal, either. Just sayin'.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:31 AM
beastly115

Terrible proposal. Atl will want NHL proven players. Although Staal is a nice trading chip, you're going to need to sub some of those picks for players and/or prospects.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Snow Miser

How about Kunitz and Staal for Kovalchuk?

The teams swap top line wingers and Staal is added to make up the difference in skill level.

The Pens would have to clear additional cap room anyways to sign Kovalchuk, so Kunitz is as likely a target as anyone to be moved. Also Kunitz is signed for another 3 years and Staal is signed for 4 more which would give Atlanta some player stability.

Snow Miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
AintLifeGrand

to ATL: Fleury, Staal, kunitz
to Pitt: Kovalchuk, Pavalec

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 03:35 PM
C77

Kovalchuk for Staal would make Pittsburgh's cap situation worse. Not to mention that the Pens would not have draft picks to insert cheap young talent into the lineup.

Consider this.

Malkin 8.7
Crosby 8.7
Kovalchuk 6.4
Gonchar 5
Fleury 5
Kunitz 3.75
Orpik 3.75

$41.3 million for 7 players

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
to ATL: Fleury, Staal, kunitz
to Pitt: Kovalchuk, Pavalec
no, not in a million years.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 05:20 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT 91 NYI View Post
I find it ironic that you're giving the palm on the face when you come up with some horrid proposals yourself.

Staal, two first rounders and a 2nd for a player that will play for two months? Kovalchuk is a fantastic player and one of the best snipers in the world but that is rather steep for a rental.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 05:22 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Counter offer:

To Atlanta: Evgeni Malkin

To Pittsburgh: Ilya Kovalchuk

(waits for laughter)

Yeah, I didn't think you'd do this deal, either. Just sayin'.
Difference is Malkin is signed to an extension, Kovalchuk is a UFA next summer and if he's acquired at the deadline he would be a rental. Since when do rentals get more than Staal and two first rounders?

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 05:24 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITING REAGENT View Post
Good proposal, IF Kovalchuck is not signed. Man, can you imagine how good Crosby centering Kovalchuk would be?
I'd rather see Malkin centering Kovalchuk...

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Jakomyte

Pittsburgh already has 2 of the top 3 forwards in the game... no one in hell is going to convince me that they deserve Kovalchuk.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote