HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Official "Danny Boy" Thread

View Poll Results: What do you wish?
I hope he remains a Flyer, despite his contract. 59 55.66%
I hope Holmgren trades him ASAP. 47 44.34%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-01-2009, 09:27 AM
BigBanger

vCash: 500
He is a Financial anchor that weighs this team down , does anybody watch the Playoffs I want my team to look like detriot. pitts ,anahiem big physical and fast.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
Ok ok ...6.5 is a big cap hit. If we can get a traditional 4 line team it will make his contract worth it because the 1st n 2nd lines should be getting the right play time.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Powe-Pahlsonn-Knuble
Carcillo-Kalinski-Asham

Those lines get it done, bar none.
Not if we don't have defense and goaltending.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Getting rid of Jones/Alberts would be addition by subtraction. Lupul + (prospect/pick) for Vokoun

Timonen - Parent
Coburn - Carle
Sbisa - Bodrov?

Vokoun (lupul salary)
Backlund

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:43 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I am not sure if it is possible to trade Danny boy.

I would not mind Fisher plus a prospect and a pick for Briere type of trade.
Flyers get overpaid 3rd line center

or

Briere for Hannan plus prospect or pick

or

Briere to any team for prospects and picks to sign Jay-Bo.
The Fisher move is intriguing, but how much money does it really save? He has a pretty high salary as well!

It goes without saying there is going to be a limit of what teams we can trade him to since he has to approve it....Otherwise, I would look at Edmonton or LA.....Briere and Hemsky would be DEADLY together

LA could send us Handzus back to take over the 3rd line center spot and absorb some of the salary we are giving them along with a young dman that they have plenty of...We would probably have to throw in a pick or minor prospect as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Trade him...He is a great on the PP but thats about all he brings to the table. He is more then a liability at even strength and the money could definitely be used elsewhere like a extension for Coburn when the time comes.
Do you know anything about Briere??? He is not primarily a PP player....In Buffalo he scored much more at even strength than on the PP, problem here is that we suck at even strength, they all appear better on the powerplay. Also, he was never a liability at even strength anywhere else he played.

Again, the team's style of play needs to be changed accordingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Here in lies the problem....I have said it 1000 times, but my main concern with any moves this team makes is HOW it is going to play. As currently constructed and coached, we are never going to shut anyone down. We win because we have scorers on all 3 lines....We cant just give up one or two of those primary scorers, bring in better dmen and still play the same style (whatever that is) that we play now. We will never win any games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
He is a Financial anchor that weighs this team down , does anybody watch the Playoffs I want my team to look like detriot. pitts ,anahiem big physical and fast.
Yeah, good luck. Detroit is the model organization for professional sports in my opinion....They consistently draft great players in later rounds, they are dedicated to a style of hockey and bring in coaches and players that fit that.

We are never going to be anything like them with Homer/Stevens running things..

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
Getting rid of Jones/Alberts would be addition by subtraction. Lupul + (prospect/pick) for Vokoun

Timonen - Parent
Coburn - Carle
Sbisa - Bodrov?

Vokoun (lupul salary)
Backlund
I would LOVE Vokoun.

I would be VERY happy with that.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:57 AM
BigBanger

We are never going to be anything like them with Homer/Stevens running things..[/QUOTE]

you are so right on that!

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Mo0sE

Send a message via AIM to Mo0sE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
We are never going to be anything like them with Homer/Stevens running things..
you are so right on that![/QUOTE]

Stevens is one thing... but you gotta remember Homer took our team from **** to the ECF in one year.

Mo0sE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 01:20 PM
tuckrr

can i vote twice? he is under-performing for a 7MILLION dollar player tbh, no one can argue that.
bottom line is NO ONE WANTS HIM. he is a 7million dollar midget, no one wants to throw away that $$$

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 01:29 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
can i vote twice? he is under-performing for a 7MILLION dollar player tbh, no one can argue that.
bottom line is NO ONE WANTS HIM. he is a 7million dollar midget, no one wants to throw away that $$$
From what I heard, Vancouver and Montreal both tried to throw away that much coin on that midget.

Sometimes I wish they got him too.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Congratulations. You joined the forum, created 2 very useless threads, one which was kind of racist, and come in here calling Brire a "7million dollar midget"

You should fit in very nicely

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
From what I heard, Vancouver and Montreal both tried to throw away that much coin on that midget.

Sometimes I wish they got him too.
Then we would have gone for Gomez or Drury

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Then we would have gone for Gomez or Drury
exactly. The Flyers were absolutely going to sign a top free agent forward that summer. They are a team which expects to be a cup contender every year. Coming off a last place season, with all sorts of cap room, they were not going to sit on their hands. Even in retrospect, noone could have foreseen both Richards and Carter becoming point per game players in the same season, and Briere still looks like the best choice of the three.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo0sE View Post

Stevens is one thing... but you gotta remember Homer took our team from **** to the ECF in one year.
Who was coaching that year?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
exactly. The Flyers were absolutely going to sign a top free agent forward that summer. They are a team which expects to be a cup contender every year. Coming off a last place season, with all sorts of cap room, they were not going to sit on their hands. Even in retrospect, noone could have foreseen both Richards and Carter becoming point per game players in the same season, and Briere still looks like the best choice of the three.
Agreed on all counts, but now that things have changed, they need to change.

Old
06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

I am on the fence nowadays with Danny. We didn't expect Carter or Giroux to do quite as well as they have. If they keep it up this season I wouldn't mind trading Danny at the deadline if you can get him to waive his NMC.
I am a supporter of Briere and know he is one of the better players to ave on your team come the playoffs

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo0sE View Post
you are so right on that!
Stevens is one thing... but you gotta remember Homer took our team from **** to the ECF in one year.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and then screwed them up this past year with stupid off-season moves and panic moves during the season

Old
06-01-2009, 03:11 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
I am on the fence nowadays with Danny. We didn't expect Carter or Giroux to do quite as well as they have. If they keep it up this season I wouldn't mind trading Danny at the deadline if you can get him to waive his NMC.
I am a supporter of Briere and know he is one of the better players to ave on your team come the playoffs
Carter did squat come playoff time....Briere was better. And I dont want to hear the injury excuse cause Richards was injured as well and while he didnt score much, he still picked up the assists and was throwing his injured body into everyone

Old
06-01-2009, 03:13 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Who was coaching that year?
Yeah, he did an amazing job!! Somehow he got Biron to stand on his head (while his team was completly outplayed by washington and almost blew a 3-1 series lead) and then used hi voodoo magic to get Carey Price to choke, again, while the team was outplayed!

Awesome job by Stevens!!

Old
06-01-2009, 03:30 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Agreed on all counts, but now that things have changed, they need to change.
Frankly I have more issues with Lupul than I do with Danny. I still think a healthy Briere is our best offensive player (especially on the power-play) and would be fantastic on the right side of a line with Gagne and Richards. They would make up for his deficiencies and, likewise, Danny would ease the pressure on Richards to be a creative force, allowing him to play the more balanced game that suits him.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
The Fisher move is intriguing, but how much money does it really save? He has a pretty high salary as well!
Not much about 2.3M a year, he would be strictly role player, a significant downgrade from Briere almost PPG production (that is why Sens should add a prospect and a player or a pick) because Fisher is nowhere near 2nd line center right now, 32pts this year 47pts last year. imo he will fill that 3rd line center demand real nice for the Flyers.

His contract runs out in 2013.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Yeah, he did an amazing job!! Somehow he got Biron to stand on his head (while his team was completly outplayed by washington and almost blew a 3-1 series lead) and then used hi voodoo magic to get Carey Price to choke, again, while the team was outplayed!

Awesome job by Stevens!!
Oh, sorry, forgot. Homer gets credit for all the team's success, Stevens gets the blame for everything that isn't right. Got it.

Old
06-01-2009, 03:58 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Oh, sorry, forgot. Homer gets credit for all the team's success, Stevens gets the blame for everything that isn't right. Got it.
I didnt give Homer any credit for the success....not sure what the hell you are talking about.

Old
06-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:

Awesome job by Stevens!!
To play the devils advocate then, if Biron is getting most of the credit for last years run...he should shoulder most of the blame for not playing at the same level this playoffs. That theory should work both ways, not just when it's convenient.

What's good for the goose, should be good for the gander...no?

For the record, I don't think either man deserves some of the stuff that gets said about them here.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Frankly I have more issues with Lupul than I do with Danny. I still think a healthy Briere is our best offensive player (especially on the power-play) and would be fantastic on the right side of a line with Gagne and Richards. They would make up for his deficiencies and, likewise, Danny would ease the pressure on Richards to be a creative force, allowing him to play the more balanced game that suits him.
The problem with playing Briere with Richards and Gagne is that, unlike Knuble, he is not capable of pulling his weight in the hitting and forechecking dept (assuming we're giving him his customary exemption from backchecking and defensive play).

That would mean Gagne and Richards would have to do the hitting. Well, I'm worried about Gags' head, and I'm more worried about the wear and tear on Richards.

Richards just had surgery on both his shoulders, mostly from trying to hit too many bigger, stronger guys. This is the Wendel Clark Syndrome all over. If Richards keeps up the overmatched hitting, he's going to suffer the same chronic back problems that ruined Wendel's career.

And we can't afford a limited Richards (see the last half of Mike Ricci's career), esp. since he's signed for another 13 years at almost $6 million per.

Richards needs someone to help with the hitting, even if it's Lupul (if Knuble leaves), he isn't big enough to do it all by himself.

Old
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Carter did squat come playoff time....Briere was better. And I dont want to hear the injury excuse cause Richards was injured as well and while he didnt score much, he still picked up the assists and was throwing his injured body into everyone
Such nonsense. Richards was playing with sore shoulders he'd been playing with all year, frozen up for the playoffs. Carter played OK in the first two games in Pitt, despite the checking of Staal, then played with one arm thereafter. No excuse, just a fact. If Richards' shoulders were as hurt as Carter's he would not have been hitting.