HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

European Influence makes Red Wings so great

Old
05-31-2009, 01:24 PM
wings5

vCash: 500
European Influence makes Red Wings so great

I truly think that having as many Europeans as the wings do especially compared to the rest of the NHL makes this team so good. It was the Russian wings not long ago now we have plenty of Scandinavians along with some some a Czech and some Slovaks. In the system also the most intriguing prospects seem to be the Europeans also (Kindl, Axelsson, Larsson). I feel it is because they teach a puck possession game in Europe and this is what the wings excel at. Mix this skill with some of the most hardworking and defensively responsible players in the league like Helm, Cleary Draper etc and youve got the makings of a dynasty. Anyone else agree?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 01:30 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Good players make the Wings good....plenty of garbage european players as well as garbage na players...getting the good ones regardless of origin is what makes the organzation so tough..

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 02:12 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

nevermind

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Metamucil

helm, cleary, abdel-gator, stuart, lebda, rafalski, chelios, osgood, maltby, draper, downey, meetch, conklin

seriously, you make good points , they've been very proactive in euro scouting, look where they drafted Lids as just one example or dats, henrik,

feds, konstantinov, when they drafted some of those Russians they didn't ever know if they'd even play in the nhl, it was a gamble.

but I'm just a little tired of hearding about the euros, how old we are (that since 97')
it's like some tired media bit that.

Metamucil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

OT but anyone know if the Wings have/will ink Jokim Andersson? I believe the deadline is tomorrow. Cameron and Torquato I don't think have a shot at one but Andersson should IMO.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
Good players make the Wings good....plenty of garbage european players as well as garbage na players...getting the good ones regardless of origin is what makes the organzation so tough..
I'd actually take that one step further and give credit where it is most deserved and due - and that's to their scouting staff. It's one thing to sign some established player but to be able to consistently find those "hidden gems", especially from the European ranks through the course of the Draft the way that the Wings have is a real testament to how the foundation has been and continues to be forged in a way that sets the standard by which NHL championship franchises are born and developed.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Deek

I wouldn't say European Influence makes the Red Wings great. I would say that European players are a big factor in the Wings success.

Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 06:56 PM
digger18

It sure hasnt helped Vancouver.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 07:36 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I think what makes the Wings so great is that they have a mix of contributors from different nationalities. The Wings have recently been drafting North Americans in the earlier rounds and europeans in the later rounds. Our earlier picks have also been on defensemen and goalies because those 2 areas the wings don't have unparralled success like they do with forwards. Our earlier picks have also have the ability to drop the gloves too because that is something the wings need a little more of. So our earlier picks are ussually a combination of North American, Goalie of Defensemen that can drop the glvoes. While our later picks have been skilled forwards because the wings consistently find gems in the late rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
OT but anyone know if the Wings have/will ink Jokim Andersson? I believe the deadline is tomorrow. Cameron and Torquato I don't think have a shot at one but Andersson should IMO.
I believe the Wings have taken advantage of the no transfer agreement and now they have unlimited time to sign him, or something like that.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Deek

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
It has. But the difference is that you not only have to have good players, but you have to have the right players that are able to play the game the team expects to play. Getting the right players is where the Wings have excelled.

Old
05-31-2009, 08:13 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
this.

the wings draft talent, no matter from which league, which country the player is. some GMs in the NHL prefer WHLers or OHLers and that limits their possible player pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
there's no agreement in place at the moment. so jocke will be a defunct player and still be wings property. he signed a new 1y contract in sweden, so my guess is that the wings will sign him next summer and bring him over then.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:39 AM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

Here is how i view the situation. Now i only follow Detroit casually as a Timrå IK supporter (Zetterbergs club in sweden) so i don't have all the info in my head.

But it strikes me that Detroit usually drafts late in the draft right?! If that is so couldn't it be that they have to really put an effort into scouting so that they can find the gems that everyone else missed. I mean if Detroit usually drafted <10th their team would probably have less European players drafted. But when they pick ~30th they have to be creative and find guys that (like i said) other scouts missed.

Am i wrong ?!?

dr-nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Deek

It takes more then solid drafting to make a winning team. That's what Detroit has been proving to the rest of the league for years. The Red Wings don't just draft good players, they draft players and develop them to fit their system.

Old
06-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I believe the Wings have taken advantage of the no transfer agreement and now they have unlimited time to sign him, or something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
there's no agreement in place at the moment. so jocke will be a defunct player and still be wings property. he signed a new 1y contract in sweden, so my guess is that the wings will sign him next summer and bring him over then.
Well thats good news. Thanks guys.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Tumsh

I think the scouting staff deserves a lot of credit, as well as the system and development parts of the organization. But I think the main reason they do so well is because the two work so well together. There's this overall plan, where scouts look for certain characteristics which will make the players successful playing for the Wings. Of course, the scouts being able to find players with these characteristics is very impressive. I think it may be more of a coincidence that many of the stars are Europeans right now.

Tumsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 02:43 PM
ViD

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
It did when they had a russian(P.Bure). Now, they dont have and here's the result.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote