HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Serious media bias

Old
05-31-2009, 10:46 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
I don't believe that there is any conspiracy but it is sickeningly clear that the NHL media LOVES Pittsburgh and considering what a model franchise Detroit is, it's quite disappointing because the Red Wings should be the poster team for the league, especially two games away from another cup.

I really like Malkin, Staal, Letang, Fleury and a few other role players on the Penguins but when I watch them on TV I HATE the entire team and it is 100% because of the favoritism displayed by the media.

Again, I don't believe there is a conspiracy here, but sometimes it gets so bad that I do wonder if the favoritism extends beyond the media, to the officiating.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Yemack

Well I didn't say there is a nation wide conspiracy against Wings.. I was just very unhappy the way media was interviewing Red Wings like they grill defendants on the court.

However past few days, they have been pretty fair and professional in my opinion. They are still making Pens to be their saviour but like I said, if they treat Wings with respect, I have no problem about that as I don't pay too much attention to hypes and all. (although I still believe some articles from NHL.com are targeted for 5 years old and vomit inducing)

I guess what I'm trying to say is it is all good for me now.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Deek

A good psychologist could make a small fortune with some of the fans on this board.

The League is against us, the media is against us, the refs are against us, the opponent is against us. . . . did I miss one?

Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
A good psychologist could make a small fortune with some of the fans on this board.

The League is against us, the media is against us, the refs are against us, the opponent is against us. . . . did I miss one?
God knows the league makes plenty of money on some of the other fans on this board.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Deek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
God knows the league makes plenty of money on some of the other fans on this board.
Yes, I'm sure the absense of paranoia is filling the NHLs coffers.

Old
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure the absense of paranoia is filling the NHLs coffers.
The absence of common sense may be.

Old
06-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Houston Red Winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmaboy View Post
i dont mind the Pens but Sidney really needs to put his stupid rattle away and play tough hockey and stop whining. its so annoying.

with that said..

Go WingS!
Agreed! Compare and contrast Sidney with Zetterberg and Lidstrom. I know which ones I recommend as role models for my children - clue - they both have winged wheels on their jerseys.

Frankly, I do not always live up to their examples, so they are role models for me, too.

Houston Red Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

They're not role models, they're hockey players. Simple as that.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Deek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I disagree and I'll bet if you asked the Red Wings, they would disagree, too. Kids look up to those guys as role models, and it's up to the players to set a good example. I think kids could do a lot worse then trying to be like Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

Old
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Deek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Here you go . . .

Q. What is it like being from Michigan and being able to do what you've done in the last two games in the Stanley Cup Final?

JUSTIN ABDELKADER: Yeah, I think it's pretty special. Hopefully I can be somebody that the young kids in Michigan can look up to. Someone that can be a positive role model. You know, it's been such a tough economy, you know, hopefully it can be not only me, but our team can be an inspiration.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009...stin_abde.html

Old
06-01-2009, 08:36 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
I disagree and I'll bet if you asked the Red Wings, they would disagree, too. Kids look up to those guys as role models, and it's up to the players to set a good example. I think kids could do a lot worse then trying to be like Datsyuk or Zetterberg.
Using athletes as a 'role model', or really any public figure, is a pretty chancy thing for a parent.

Myself, when I point to a particular person who might be an example for my son I pick out specific parts of their personality as admirable rather than simply saying 'So and So is a great role model.' That way you tend to avoid the 'But Dad... wasn't So and So supposed to be a role model? Why did they do -insert name of embarassing crime here-?'

That's the real downside of the internet age. We know too much about our stars now.

Old
06-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Deek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Using athletes as a 'role model', or really any public figure, is a pretty chancy thing for a parent.

Myself, when I point to a particular person who might be an example for my son I pick out specific parts of their personality as admirable rather than simply saying 'So and So is a great role model.' That way you tend to avoid the 'But Dad... wasn't So and So supposed to be a role model? Why did they do -insert name of embarassing crime here-?'

That's the real downside of the internet age. We know too much about our stars now.
We can't always chose who our children pick for a role model. All we can do is provide guidance and hope they make the right decision.

Old
06-01-2009, 08:53 PM
facts

Flyers fan here. Even Simpson on CBC is crying for the Pens... not as much as Errey on the NHLN. But this is a reality series much like last year, boys vs men. A quick musing, take out either malkin or crosby and the media would be crying about the "short handed pens' yet Datsuyk is gone and there is little mention. detroit is far deeper far more committed and more willing, this may be a sweep again. Crosby is good but he can't carry Zetterbergs jock even on his best day!

facts is offline   Reply With Quote