HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Martensson back to Anaheim

Old
06-01-2009, 05:08 AM
Elvs

vCash: 500
Martensson back to Anaheim

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle5274470.ab

I'll use google translate and fix the errors from that. The article kind of shows how poor Swedish media are on the NHL, always overhyping the SEL and Swedish players. However, Ducks scout Jan-Ake Danielsson makes some interesting statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Anaheim are after Linkopings star Tony Martensson, 28. Now, a transfer agreement between the NHL and Sweden, could send the center to the NHL.
- "Tony could play in one of our two top lines. We need more forwards since Teemu Selanne's future is uncertain", says Jan-Ake Danielsson, scout for the Anaheim Ducks.

Today there will land a proposal for a new transfer agreement between Europe and the NHL Hockey League and the Swedish Hockey League. Then, during the week the clubs and the league will say yes or no to an agreement around the new transfer rules between the Swedish Hockey League and NHL.

- "My knowledge is that we have an agreement and it will begin to apply immediately",said Christer Englund, chairman for the Swedish Hockey League.

Could break the contract
An agreement would open for players being bound to contracts with SEL-teams to break their contracts and go to the NHL.
For example, Linkopings star center Tony Martensson.

- "I am set to play with Linkoping next season. But if there will be an agreement, and Anaheim, or any other club, comes with an offer, we'll have to discuss", says Martensson.

The star center wont go to Anaheim on a bad contract, or without any signals that Anaheim will give him a good oppurtunity.
- "I don't want to play on a fourth line in the NHL, and I wish to be be payed an acceptable amount of money", says Martensson
While Linkopings club management could be against an agreement with the NHL, Anaheim will be for one.
- "Right now, we can't do much. But a transfer agreement would give us the oppurtunity to offer Tony Martensson a contract", says Jan-Ake Danielsson, scout for the Anaheim Ducks.
Danielsson and Anaheim are impressed by the progress Martensson has made since he was with the Ducks organization in 2004.

”Better for each year”
– "Yeah, he has been getting better and better for every year. Also, he is always playing good for the Swedish national team", Danielsson says.

Anaheim has a very strong team, especially on the forward side. But Anaheim sees an opportunity to get Martensson in one of their top two lines. Maybe he replaces one of the NHL's most glaring goalscorers; Teemu Selanne.
- "We do'nt really know what will happen with Teemu. He has said he will play one season and the olympics attracts him quite a lot. But he will not play much longer and then we can use Tony in his place. I don't think it's nessecary for Tony to play center", says Jan-Ake Danielsson.

Last edited by Elvs: 06-01-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Yabob

I think Martensson more or less demanded to play on the first line the last time the NHL were mentioned. And he's not that good.

Anyway.... the new agreement isn't done yet. And it looks like June 15th is the deadline for signing players if it goes thru. That would give the teams two weeks to sign players this season (assuming the deal was signed today.... otherwise it's even less).

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Jimmy McNulty

Tony Martensson? Now that's a blast from the past. I remember him from like ESPN NHL Hockey (that'd be NHL 2k4).

Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Yabob

The SEL teams turned down the new agreement today. They want more money for the best SEL players. $225 000 USD wasn't enough. They want something like $500 000 to $600 000 USD for a player like Martensson. Hard to argue with that. $225 000 USD isn't that much. It costs about $1.35 million USD for a Russian team to have Weinhandl on loan for one season. From what I understand Sweden can't sign the new agreement without the SEL teams' approval.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Christensen-Ebbett-Martensson?

How about re-sign Selanne and:

Martensson-Ebbett-Selanne

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote