HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Draft Thread

Old
05-30-2009, 06:45 PM
OVMVP

vCash: 500
I have been reading up on a lot of the potential first round prospects and I hope we can somehow snag Chris Kreider. The kid has so much talent and speed to go along with his good size.

I doubt he lasts to #24 so Maybe GMGM can make a bold move and move up to get him.

OVMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 07:03 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Panik really fell off the table after the WJC's, he is still slotted early in the 2nd but i think there are a lot of question marks surrounding his game.

basically what the scouts think is that for the 2 weeks of WJC hockey, he played the best he's ever played and since returning to Slovakia has not shown any signs of consistency.

ed: actually that was Tatar.

Last edited by bottleCAPS: 06-01-2009 at 05:35 PM.
bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Langway
Intangibles

A Red Line Report Western Canada scout has regional rankings and scouting reports up.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:11 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Great find. He's got a nice report on probably my favorite name in the draft, Levko Koper.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 01:05 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Future Considerations draft guide just released today. 92 pages of good content.

Oh, and Alex28, you'll love who their mock has the Caps taking both in the first and second rounds.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 05-31-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old
05-31-2009, 01:45 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Future Considerations draft guide just released today. 92 pages of good content.

Oh, and Alex28, you'll love who their mock has the Caps taking both in the first and second rounds.
Why not just post what they said?

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:25 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

My bad, my second edit didn't take.

They projected Josefsson with the first rounder at 24 and Doherty with the second rounder, at 55.

FC seem to like Josefsson less than other publications a nd Doherty much more than other publications.

Old
05-31-2009, 12:34 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I guess the four that I really like at this point in time are:

Palmieri- lots of speed
Ferraro
O'Reilly - character/heart/will
Klingberg - the next Holmstrom? maybe its just watching the wings too much this playoffs, heh.

The shot in the dark pick would be Panik. He's listed as a center but does anyone know what he's really projected as?
From what Ive heard Klingberg can skate like the wind and has more skill so I dont think hes that type of player.

wings5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

A bit on my favorite for the Caps to draft, Louis Leblanc:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=423360

FC's scouting report:

Quote:
Strengths: A two-way threat every time on the ice…he has decent speed and good overall mobility…plays with a hard edge… will take the puck to the net and battle for any rebounds once there…has good vision and nice hockey sense… makes plays with the puck and can place the puck on his linemates' stick with a pin-point pass...has a good shot and mixes it up well...is aggressive on the forecheck and pressures the puck carrier effectively disrupting offensive flow...finishes his checks and plays a strong defensive game...will pay the price by blocking shots or taking a hit...is solid in the faceoff circle and makes himself an outlet for his defence...plays with a high level of intensity…has a good quick stick in both zones…plays with a mean edge and loves to play the body.

Weakness: His size is not as big as you would want from a player playing his type of game…he also has a bit of a limited offensive upside at the next level…not a lot of glaring weaknesses.

Old
05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
OVMVP

Another thing on Kreider, i saw a mock draft (cant remember which site)

But the Caps were taking him and they had a comparison next too their name.

His was Evgeny Malkin. Man that makes me drool....

OVMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Langway
Intangibles

EJ McGuire of Central Scouting was just on NHL Live to talk draft for a bit. He thinks ten Swedes could go in the first two rounds. That doesn't seem out of the question. The top eight European skaters in Central Scouting's final rankings are Swedish and another Swede in Robin Lehner is the top-ranked Euro goalie.

Old
06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Red Line Report very bullish on Louis Leblanc, ranking him sixth in this month's top ten.

Quote:
After that, there's a pretty good drop-off to the third tier of forwards and things become less clear-cut. At Red Line, we view slick and edgy pivot Louis Leblanc and highly skilled, but small playmaking winger Jordan Schroeder at the top of this group. Leblanc plays with a fiery edge and employs a high speed, up-tempo style. He's got a great first step burst and an extra separation gear, and we love his mix of passion and puck skills.

Old
06-02-2009, 08:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Red Line Report very bullish on Louis Leblanc, ranking him sixth in this month's top ten.
Yeah, I don't see the kid getting past Montreal. Would be an awesome fit, though.

Old
06-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
My bad, my second edit didn't take.

They projected Josefsson with the first rounder at 24 and Doherty with the second rounder, at 55.

FC seem to like Josefsson less than other publications a nd Doherty much more than other publications.
Somebody read my predictions for last year's draft, lol.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Alex28*

Something interesting.

My good friend Vitya Koreshkov said he thinks Dima Orlov is gonna be a force and sees Kirill Polozov as one of the most underrated European in the draft class.

Why I find that significant?

Eleven years ago he said [loosely translated] "Pasha [Datsyuk] is gonna show up everyone". I laughed at him. Not very smart in retrospect since I'm never gonna hear the end of it. Prior to their respective drafts he boasted about our very own [Sasha] Semin and [Misha] Grabovski.

Of course he also had a ton of faith in Koltsov, Kaigorodov, and Glazachev, so I'd say he's 50-50 (he also called Ovechkin but I don't think that counts). So, going by his record, Orlov is gonna tear up the league and Polozov is gonna stay in the KHL.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 08:16 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

Does anyone think that Carter Ashton has a chance of being around when we pick?

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 08:34 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
he'd have to slide a little I would think just perusing mock drafts and what not. every draft there are those that slide....getzlaf slid a ton his year..most publications had him going as early as in the early teens. i believe richards fell due to his lack of footspeed.

On another topic there was a thread, I think the combine thread, about how a prospect who does not do to well with his conditioning or just not as much of a gym rat can actually boost standings as teams try to project how much a prospect could improve versus a prospect that is ripped and in great shape might not have as much upward potential as they might have maximized what they could have achieve by being workout rats.

06-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
Might be. I don't think he's a lock to be gone by 24 necessarily.

If I had to put the first round talent into tiers it would be something like this:

- Tavares, Hedman, Duchene...Kane & Schenn
- MPS, Cowen, OEL, Kulikov & Kadri
- Schroeder, Josefson, Kreider, Leblanc, Glennie, Ellis, Kassian, Rundblad & Moore

That's 19 that should be off the board by 24, barring the pleasantly unexpected. After that you've got Ferraro, Shore, Holland, Ashton, Palmieri, Klingberg, Budish, Morin, Werek, O'Reilly, Rajala, Panik, de Haan, Elliott, Leddy, Despres, Erixon, Tatar and Caron that should go in the later stages of the first into the early second. For the most part it seems like anyone from that group could go as high as 20 if a team really likes the player. Some, like Panik, could slide further down perhaps and some like Ferraro, Holland, Ashton, Shore, Budish and de Haan could jump up and go in the teens. But there's not a huge gap at that point from what I can tell. For that reason, trading up five to ten spots or so should be a priority if possible...but that (at least perceived) jumble between 20-40 still offers some real quality young talent and overall the first three rounds seems like it should offer strong depth. As always, there are a number of intriguing mid-to-late round types...although not a ton in the way of real physical, crash & bang type players.

Some notes from Gare Joyce on the combine. I tend to think of the interview process as the more important event at the combine, getting a good read on the character of the player (albeit in a sort of rapid-fire snapshot).

Old
06-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Langway
Intangibles

A bit about Carter Ashton and his interview with the Caps at the combine.

Old
06-05-2009, 09:05 AM
twominute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I hope that happens too.
Being an Andover native that would be cool with me too.

twominute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:11 AM
The Viking Fury

Words cannot describe how amazing it is that the Caps asked him to sing "Pokerface."

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see the kid getting past Montreal. Would be an awesome fit, though.
Prototypical MTL player, he will fit in well there.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Kegger

I sure am liking me some Duchene. Wonder if Tampa or Colorado wants Alexander Semin?

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Woodlief will be on a special CapsReport next Monday (the 15th) at 11a.m. to talk all things draft. I think they just said Mike Oke from ISS will be on the Wednesday show before the draft as well.

Old
06-10-2009, 02:43 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Woodlief will be on a special CapsReport next Monday (the 15th) at 11a.m. to talk all things draft. I think they just said Mike Oke from ISS will be on the Wednesday show before the draft as well.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote