HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago - St. Lous

Old
06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
massivegoonery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
The Jackman I remember would be worth those players in a heartbeat. Toughness, character, grit, leadership, and defensively responsible, packaged in a top four defenseman skillset?
The Derian Hatcher I remember fits the bill too, do you want to go out and acquire him?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:10 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
jmwc95, you are missing the point/making the wrong argument.

For hypothetical argument, let's say you're absolutely correct in your assessment and other Blues fans are wrong.

Even if true, there is an higher independent "perceived value" of Barret Jackman that both the Blues management has, and, from all these Jackman threads in which you've personally checked, that at least several other teams have.

It doesn't depend on whether you are right or wrong. For example, I am convinced I'm correct about Tkachuk's real-life value. But he has been traded for more than I believe him to be worth, and if he'd been traded at the deadline, would have returned more than I perceive him to be worth... even if I am "correct." I fully acknowledge that other people see his value differently and generally higher. And, in any event, even if half the GMs were to see it my way, that half don't see it that way means there's a market.

I believe that dynamic is what is happening with you and Barret Jackman. But it messes up all the discussion by taking it off-point in an important way.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:34 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
jmwc95, you are missing the point/making the wrong argument.

For hypothetical argument, let's say you're absolutely correct in your assessment and other Blues fans are wrong.

Even if true, there is an higher independent "perceived value" of Barret Jackman that both the Blues management has, and, from all these Jackman threads in which you've personally checked, that at least several other teams have.

It doesn't depend on whether you are right or wrong. For example, I am convinced I'm correct about Tkachuk's real-life value. But he has been traded for more than I believe him to be worth, and if he'd been traded at the deadline, would have returned more than I perceive him to be worth... even if I am "correct." I fully acknowledge that other people see his value differently and generally higher. And, in any event, even if half the GMs were to see it my way, that half don't see it that way means there's a market.

I believe that dynamic is what is happening with you and Barret Jackman. But it messes up all the discussion by taking it off-point in an important way.
I agree with this.

This line of thinking also generally unravels the whole trade proposal thing. Some fans simply imagine themselves as the GM while some fans try to predict what various teams will do. And some fans seem to have an elaborate lottery system they use to come up with the most absurd proposals possible.

Everybody knows that most trades are not an exchange of equivalent value. But that seems to be the goal of trade proposals. Not just to make a deal that benefits every team involved, but also to make a deal that is equal down to the 5th round pick. As rare as such trades appear to be, that seems to be easier, or at least more fun for most people than predicting what one, two, or thirty management teams think about a given player.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
The Derian Hatcher I remember fits the bill too, do you want to go out and acquire him?
Derian Hatcher isn't 28 and was never as mobile as Jackman, not that Jackman is Duncan Keith either, but Hatcher was pylonesque. Only his gigantic reach and the interference of the dead puck era made him any good.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote